Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:mad: I purchased a new 2013 Pilot on 11/26/13 which made my second new Pilot in about six years. Unlike my previous 2008 Pilot I noticed a distinct vibration while in the ECO Mode when applying light pressure to the fuel pedal. The vibration could be felt in the stirring wheel, console and floor of the vehicle. When I returned it to the dealership I was told this vibration was a typical characteristic when entering and exiting the ECO Mode. As I told the Service Manager the only problem with that explanation is that it's constant and NOT periodic. I took a trip of 500 miles shortly after the purchase and there was so much vibration while in Cruise I almost went "nuts." Needless to say I didn't get any satisfaction with the dealership and decided to take it to the next level. After sending a letter to Honda Customer Care I received a call back and was told I would be contacted and apprised of my options. This call was on 2/11/13 and as of 3/6/13 I have heard nothing from Honda Customer Care, I guess that means I have ZERO! options.....D.F.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are many threads on ECO vibration (or more properly VCM vibration) on this board. Honda seems to consider this normal and it varies in severity from Pilot to Pilot. I've even noticed this in a new Honda Accord.

I recommend you search the other threads and get an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honda is being coy about this problem by saying 'it's not a problem". I am currently in the process of trying to get them to do something. Not sure I will, but I think a lot of noise needs to be made to get Honda's attention. This is a serious flaw in the vehicle and they need to address it, regardless of the cost that they're going to endure. I would suggest you contact the consumer affairs dept in your state and seek their assistance. Also, you may want to file a complaint at NHTSA.GOV.

I just took my pilot on a 1000 mile trip and the only way around the vibration and rumbling was to drive 75-80 mph. This is unacceptable and I consider it a safety issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A squeaky wheel gets the grease...
If the multitudes of us with the unbearable VCM vibration don't sound off, how will it ever get fixed? Honda sure isn't listening. The only solution is to propagate the word on this negative "normal characteristic" and hope to steer away prospective buyers, then perhaps Honda will act when it affects sales.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A squeaky wheel gets the grease...
If the multitudes of us with the unbearable VCM vibration don't sound off, how will it ever get fixed? Honda sure isn't listening. The only solution is to propagate the word on this negative "normal characteristic" and hope to steer away prospective buyers, then perhaps Honda will act when it affects sales.
Most Honda Pilot buyers will never visit this site. It is ok to relate your problem, however, it is best to keep it to one thread. Many posts in one thread stands out more than a few posts in multiple threads that are harder to find. I undertand your reasoning, however, in reality, failing transmissions across multiple models did not really affect Honda sales even though it was widely discussed and reported on many forums and initiated a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you deactivate the VCM? Not the ideal solution and I'm not even sure if can be done. But it would give you temporary relief until you can get the dealer on your side

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this shuderring and vibrations. I have just purchase a 2013 Pilot EX-L. I have it for 2 months already and have 900 miles on it. At first the drive was smooth when I got it our the dealership. But now I can feel the vibrations in the steering, gas pedal and in the console. I once test drive it for 90 mile drive and I felt I have a workout after it because of the vibrations. I was just going to let it go because it may be that the shocks and the leather seats are still firm because it is new, but when I registered here and see all of this problems about the shuderring and vibrations I am now worried. We all know that dealerships would deny this as long as they want. I Just want to ask those who have the shuderring and the vibrations if it s just when a transfer of acceleration? Mine vibrates all the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also have this shuderring and vibrations. I have just purchase a 2013 Pilot EX-L. I have it for 2 months already and have 900 miles on it. At first the drive was smooth when I got it our the dealership. But now I can feel the vibrations in the steering, gas pedal and in the console. I once test drive it for 90 mile drive and I felt I have a workout after it because of the vibrations. I was just going to let it go because it may be that the shocks and the leather seats are still firm because it is new, but when I registered here and see all of this problems about the shuderring and vibrations I am now worried. We all know that dealerships would deny this as long as they want. I Just want to ask those who have the shuderring and the vibrations if it s just when a transfer of acceleration? Mine vibrates all the time.
If your vibration is constant,there might be something else besides the VCM shudder.VCM shudder is on and off,not constant(but still annoying)Are you sure it's not coming mainly from the steering wheel?(needs tire rebalance).Is it on all speed?does it change when your foot is hard or easy on the gas pedal?You might need to elaborate some more.I don't want to make you worry some more but I traded my 2012 EXL with only 3000 miles because of bad VCM shudder,I started to feel it at about 1100 miles and just kept on getting worse,I lost a lot of money but I can't keep driving a car like that.Hopefully they could find a fix but I just can't wait anymore.Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We drive a 2011 EX-L 4x4 and when in Eco mode there is a very minor noticeable vibration, but not as obvious as previous complaints.
Got a call from our dealership this morning, asking us to "trade our 2011 in" for a 2013. With, "very aggressive trade in payment" from them. I seem to hear more complaints about this vibration from the later models close to 2013. Any body think so too?
I would hate to even consider , "trading up" to have this new issue.
Perhaps they would rather sell a great pre used Pilot there. No vibration issues. I am planning on driving this till it keels over. (so to speak)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've read other threads as well from Gen 1 Pilots, MDXs and even some Accords with VCM. I just replaced the 3rd and 4th gear trans pressure sensors and so far so good. Basically what I found was the transmission was struggling to switch gears when downshifting into 3rd in ECO mode under a slight hill situation. I was able to replicate it fairly well at 44-45mph at 1500 RPM on a slight inclined road. What is odd is that the thread I read about this pressure sensor, that person wasn't able to prove the sensors were bad, but that it fixed the issue. I'll post more as the wife continues to drive it since I only took it for a test drive on a road I knew I can repeat it on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a loaded pilot touring. Shuttering, vibrations, sounds and noises coming from the front end. I brought back to the dealership, they admit a vibration is present. Said I have to take it up with Honda. After multiple attempts and a week of calling finally spoke with someone. They claim this is normal operation at this time and wont take responsibility. If enough of us call they will address just at what point. I'm disgusted and after a month of owning this 45k dollar mistake. I can't wait for a safety issue before Honda reacts. I've given up and will have to look at buying another new vehicle, just not a Honda!

·
Registered
5 Posts
ECO = shoddy engineering

:mad: ............. When I returned it to the dealership I was told this vibration was a typical characteristic when entering and exiting the ECO Mode. As I told the Service Manager the only problem with that explanation is that it's constant and NOT periodic. .................... After sending a letter to Honda Customer Care I received a call back and was told I would be contacted and apprised of my options. This call was on 2/11/13 and as of 3/6/13 I have heard nothing from Honda Customer Care, I guess that means I have ZERO! options.....D.F.
Guys, I'm with you. I wish someone would start a petition we could sign.

When I first heard what it was doing from the salesman, I thought to myself - "not this again?! Cadalac tried it 10 years ago and it was an abysmal failure." But I did not notice any issue on the quick test drive.

We purchased in the end of September 2012. Now, my problem is that the Pilot is my wife's not mine. I can live it. She can not. So, this has become a $37,000 mistake that I'm going to end up eating because my wife hates the vehicle. She thinks it un-safe. PERIOD. So, much sooner than I planned, I'm going to have to buy her another car.

Took it in and was told it was normal. I had a nock down drag out argument with my service manager about the ECO vibration. Then I went online and found all the postings, my heart sank. WHY doesn't consumer reports and other "trusted" reviewers report this stuff?! There is not one complaint listed in all the mainstream media. But reading all he online complaints, I would never have purchased if I knew. But also, the freaking engineers knew too. Honda corporate made a decision to screw the consumer and go after the MPG rating it needed.

We left Toyota because of all their recalls. Now, we are being screwed by Honda. You know, the best vehicle in my 3 car fleet? My Chevy Malibu. Perhaps things have gone full cirlce.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hang in there Mr. Pete. My dealership is going to try adjusting my motor mounts. If this fails then I'm going to engage the Better Business Bureau Auto Lines. From there we'll see where this goes as I'm going to pursue the Lemon Law in my state.

From my opinion Honda is refusing to recognize or help me out. They refuse to tell my why or where the vibration is occurring. I will be requesting of my service manager that they disconnect the oil pressure sensor for a couple of days to see if fault lies with the VCM engaged. If proven true, it'll be interesting to see if I can request software upgrades to disable VCM.

Everyone needs to attack Honda over this. Expressing displeasure here is great, but will not solve the problem. Noise needs to made where it matters. BBB, NHTSA, Honda, Consumer Reports, etc. Find avenues to have this heard. I feel absolutely robbed by Honda as they refuse to do anything to address the problem. Fortunately, my service manager had been great and is at least trying something. But Honda has tied the dealerships hands too by continuing the mantra that this is a 'normal' characteristic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Constant Vibration associated with ECO/VCM

I just purchased on March 2nd, a 2013 Pilot EX-L, my 7th Honda. Prior to this Pilot I had a 2007 Odyssey which also had ECO and yes there was a slight "blip" when the ECO came on but nowhere as prononced and constant and at low speeds like this 2013 Pilot, it is driving me crazy. At first I thought it was me just getting use to a new vehicle but after a week of two of this constant vibration and shutter, I returned to the Dealership, 1200 miles logged, and complained. I made an appointment to have the issue reviewed, they did, or I was told they did a complete overhaul of the systems and found there to be no problem. "Everything is OK". Today April 2nd I returned ands voiced my displeasure again, was told there was nothing they could do but that the "Regional" would be in next week the 11th and they asked if I would like to speak to him, "Of course" so I have an appt with the Regional next week, we will see where this leads. I am also attempting to get in touch with the Owner of the Dealership

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Be great for you guys to be able to reprogram the system not to activate. Sure that Honda wont do it. Getting someone to crack the electronics wont be easy.
Can't wait to read what the 2014 MDX owners think of vibrations in their $55k plus machines.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Update.. The service manager contacted me and said he tried adjusting the motor mounts on his pilot (which is close to as bad as mine) and it didn't help. So I'm now stuck. He said he is speaking with Honda and they're claiming they don't have enough complaints. He asked how many they had and they refused to answer....nice. Anyways, he's asked me to hang in there a couple of weeks and see if he can make progress with Honda.

I took my pilot on another long journey and am completely dismayed at the the vibration as I now feel it at most speeds. Even where I thought I was safe from vibrations (75mph) I could feel it ever so slightly. Not only this, but now when starting off first thing in the morning after sitting all night it seems the car starts rolling with vibration until it warms up. I will be stopping into the dealership within the next couple of days to discuss what they can do. I don't care at this point, but some effort needs to be put forth ....balance tires, etc.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the reasons I purchased a 2013 MDX with the 3.7 and NO VCM system. My 2012 Ridgeline doesn't have the VCM either. My 2011 Pilot did and it wasn't seamless but it want bad either. Then I drove a 2013 Odyssey Elite (brand new) that had the shudder / vibration issue and WOW! That would drive me NUTSO! Steering wheel vibrating and could see the passenger seat shaking as I drove down a smooth as silk road. Ill never roll the dice on a Honda with that system again and hope they fix it soon.

Be great for you guys to be able to reprogram the system not to activate. Sure that Honda wont do it. Getting someone to crack the electronics wont be easy.
Can't wait to read what the 2014 MDX owners think of vibrations in their $55k plus machines.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.