Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
when driving I’m hear squeaking suspension or braking parts sometimes when steering, sometimes driving straight... but not when going over bump....

any likely culprits or diagnostic approach I can take/check??? Seems to be worse when starting out and moving at slow speeds and when the car is cold

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Hi there,
when driving I’m hear squeaking suspension or braking parts sometimes when steering, sometimes driving straight... but not when going over bump....

any likely culprits or diagnostic approach I can take/check??? Seems to be worse when starting out and moving at slow speeds and when the car is cold
If your brake pads are worn down metal to metal, that would certainly need to be addressed asap. If you have squeaky suspension parts, these need to be identified and repaired for safety concerns.
There are a couple of large bolts that connect the subframe to the radiator support that can creak and squeak when braking or letting off the brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d describe it more of a loud creak at lower speeds.

I’m going to drop it off for the timing belt and water pump (94k) I’ll have them DI A full inspection on the suspension too and see if there’s any noticeable wear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm taking a big leap....sinking $2300 for new shocks, struts, sway bars, alignment and transmission flush.....my mechanic says Honda recommends between 50-100k to replace. He's going to put on a beefed KYB suspension.

Good deal, ok deal, or bad deal?

·
Registered
652 Posts
i'm taking a big leap....sinking $2300 for new shocks, struts, sway bars, alignment and transmission flush.....my mechanic says Honda recommends between 50-100k to replace. He's going to put on a beefed KYB suspension.

So they're firing the parts cannon at it? They saw you coming....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, now do i have them change to timing belt and water pump while it's all off? i'll get the labor efficiency... thoughts?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

No, not a good deal if this is a shotgun blast.
Not saying you might need struts. Replacing a sway bar is not something that wears out, and I doubt the bushing on the sway bar are bad but should be inspected. I'd be more concerned with the lower control arm bushings, in particular the compliance bushings. Then the lower ball joints. Inspect the sway bar linkage and tie rod ends.
Yes, your vehicle is 7 years old (check the door jam sticker). It's time or close to your TB WP job. That's another $1000 If you don't DIY.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The timing belt job is the only thing I'd authorize them to do. For the noises you are hearing they either need to pinpoint it or move along. They are going to sell you the "you should replace all of the shocks and brakes and this and that" and take you for a ride for a bunch of parts you may not need at this time.

I could list all of the areas that could creak but it would end up being the entire front suspension/motor mounts/brakes/etc. If you can really nail down the area you think it's coming from (is it coming from the passenger side wheel area or the center under the engine or...) and the exact conditions it seems to make the noise it can help us more. You started guiding us but that's not enough info to start ruling things out IMO.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Which KYB suspension is "beefed"?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm ordering bilsteins for my Pilot

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
I'm glad those that know more than me are helping this guy to NOT get unnecessarily separated with large amounts of his cash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adding some details...the creaking is coming from the rear...the rear also looks like it’s sitting a bit low....cupping is occurring on the tires and it’s pulling to the right a bit. Finally, feeling a lot of vibration in the back (some in the front) when the car hits 60+ mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts