Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on the QX80 reliability vs Honda? My 2013 Honda Pilot has 94K miles. The 2014 QX80 has 102K @$27K. There's also a 2013 QX56 with 106K miles for $22K. My Honda has been very loud and handles very poorly. There's also the vibrating steering wheel. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love how I can haul a small house with it but hate how bad the pickup is and its heavy to drive. I test drove a QX56 last year and really loved how it handled and I felt I had better visibility since it sits higher than the Pilot.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
2015 EXL AWD Gray ext Black int
25 Posts
These are very different vehicles. I wouldn't call the Pilot a pickup, but the QX56 which became the QX80, which is a fancy Armada, is based on the Titan chassis, which actually is a pickup. I can't imagine the QX80 will handle better than the Pilot. The steering wheel vibration you are experiencing could be easily fixed. There are some different causes but all of them are repairable.

But, you asked about reliability. I don't think anyone will tell you a 14 QX80 or a 13 QX56 with an unknown history will be more reliable than the Pilot with proper preventive maintenance and disabling VCM.

At the end of the day bdozer1965 is spot on. Please take an extensive test drive to compare handling and park the big Infinity in a typical lot before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Remember Infiniti is the luxury brand of Nissan who doesn't have good reliability like Honda. To make matters worse, Nissan was purchased by Renault in 2001 and now Mitsubishi is also part of the mix.

I agree with you that the Pilot's are under-powered. But why not save yourself some bucks and fix whatever has been causing your issues with the Pilot? If you look at Acura, you will at least be getting Honda's reliability with it, or even Lexus with Toyota's reliability.

I didn't find any information on the theater packages available on these years but the latest version out there only has some differences from the touring Pilot. Such as 2 screens in the back of the headrests instead of the single drop-down one in the Pilot, HDMI support and USB support. For the most part, the Touring Pilot comes with everything else.

I personally went with the Pilot because of the reliability and flexibility. I like the peace of mind that as long as I maintain it, there will only be minor repairs outside of the regular maintenance. I have put 70,000 miles on my pilot in 3 years and have not had a single issue outside of regular consumables like brakes, tires, lubes and batteries.

I have owned one Nissan and experienced 3 major part failures in a 3 year period where I had to wait for the dealer only part to arrive from Japan. I will never own another Nissan product again.

I also agree with bdozer1965, but wanted to give you some information to think about before making your decision.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
I know a few people who have Infinitis. As long as you stay away from the CVT transmissions you will be fine. If you want luxury and more power, consider the Lexus GX470. If taken care of they will be on the road long after the Pilot is sent to the crusher.

·
Registered
180 Posts
These are very different vehicles. I wouldn't call the Pilot a pickup,
I believe she means pickup as in acceleration.

But anyhow, your handling / steering issues are likely straightforward fixes. This would leave you a pleasant reliable vehicle. I never understood the need for video screens in cars. If your passengers are desperate for entertainment, hand them a book.

Are we actually supposed to say if you are crazy or not?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
The Armada/QX56/QX80/Titan have been very reliable outside of the first couple model year Titans with aluminum rear diff covers failing. The 5.6 is NOT efficient but it is quite powerful, fairly refined and reliable. We test drove an Armada that was the same price as our Pilot but one year older with 50k more miles. Went to sign the paperwork and the sales manager came out and said it was mistakenly listed $10k low (which is why I was there in the first place, the price was too good)... we ended up getting the Pilot.

I have a soft spot for Nissans, owned 2 Pathfinders and a Rogue and they were all excellent vehicles. I'd gladly go into an Armada or QX56/QX80.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
That Nissan product and it’s corporate cousins make good value as used vehicles. The depreciation is incredible and frightening. There are reasons for that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want luxury and more power, consider the Lexus GX470. If taken care of they will be on the road long after the Pilot is sent to the crusher.
I've also been looking at the Lexus SUVs. I haven't seen any GX470 but there are a couple of GX460s. Everybody I know who's owned a Lexus is pretty happy with them. The ones with around 50K miles are about $37K. I have a friend who told me he'll be on the lookout for auction Lexus GXs as he bought a newer RX350 and a Lexus sedan for almost half the cost with just cosmetics damage. I may see if he comes up with anything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Nissan product and it’s corporate cousins make good value as used vehicles. The depreciation is incredible and frightening. There are reasons for that.
That's what was pointed out to me by the guy with a dealer license. That the QX80 cost the same as the Lexus SUVs when new yet resale value does not compare.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you that the Pilot's are under-powered. But why not save yourself some bucks and fix whatever has been causing your issues with the Pilot? If you look at Acura, you will at least be getting Honda's reliability with it, or even Lexus with Toyota's reliability.
I'm not much of a handywoman when it comes to cars as I'm only able to change the filters. I don't have a trusted mechanic right now either. I usually take my car to the dealer for oil change since they did use to offer shuttle services so it worked with my hectic work schedule to drop off and pick up after work.

So what would I need to do to reduce the road noise and the weird acceleration noise that it makes? Or should I just ask the dealer?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question in depth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe she means pickup as in acceleration.

But anyhow, your handling / steering issues are likely straightforward fixes. This would leave you a pleasant reliable vehicle. I never understood the need for video screens in cars. If your passengers are desperate for entertainment, hand them a book.

Are we actually supposed to say if you are crazy or not?
Can you expound on straightforward fixes? I'm not very mechanically inclined but I usually do like to go to a mechanic well informed so they don't pull wool over my eyes.

...the crazy part was sorta rhetorical... 😏

·
Registered
753 Posts
Any advice on the QX80 reliability vs Honda? My 2013 Honda Pilot has 94K miles. The 2014 QX80 has 102K @$27K. There's also a 2013 QX56 with 106K miles for $22K. My Honda has been very loud and handles very poorly. There's also the vibrating steering wheel. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love how I can haul a small house with it but hate how bad the pickup is and its heavy to drive. I test drove a QX56 last year and really loved how it handled and I felt I had better visibility since it sits higher than the Pilot.

Thank you in advance for any insight!
Heh sounds exactly like my feelings of our 2013. I suspect my issues are inner CV joints, but tires, vcm, and compliance bushings are common causes of steering wheel vibration too.

The noise? You could pull the panels off and line the doors and all with this stuff:

You still won’t fix the hood that flexes in the wind on the interstate like an empty coke can or the soul crushing handling that makes you yearn for future of self driving cars. It’s such an odd experience after driving my 3 series that I ACTUALLY like driving again. I drive my wife’s Pilot so much that I just start to loath driving entirely. With that said... our Pilot runs just fine and gets us where we need to go with little major drama. It’s an old school Honda that should run for a long time. Plus I like the folks here. Great forum.

Personally we’re leaning Audi Q7 or GLE probably spring / summer time frame. We test drove both and loved them. You simply cannot believe how quiet the Q7 is. Insane. Maybe the new MDX, but I’m struggling to warm up to another Honda product especially with their limited color combos and the fact that consumer reports has been pretty hard on them lately for quality - If I’m going to have to put up with problems it might as well be in a German car. Most of Nissan / Infiniti is junk these days, but I’d consider a QX80. That’s built on a pretty solid (but thirsty) platform. Make sure you are happy with the infotainment system on them though - They really have been pretty far behind in that area and you might find the Pilot has a better system... or maybe not. I’d just look carefully at it. Also doesn’t sound like the QX80 gets good marks for handling.... so think about that if it’s been a concern.

Reactions: GurlRDX

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh sounds exactly like my feelings of our 2013. I suspect my issues are inner CV joints, but tires, vcm, and compliance bushings are common causes of steering wheel vibration too.

The noise? You could pull the panels off and line the doors and all with this stuff:

You still won’t fix the hood that flexes in the wind on the interstate like an empty coke can or the soul crushing handling that makes you yearn for future of self driving cars. It’s such an odd experience after driving my 3 series that I ACTUALLY like driving again. I drive my wife’s Pilot so much that I just start to loath driving entirely. With that said... our Pilot runs just fine and gets us where we need to go with little major drama. It’s an old school Honda that should run for a long time. Plus I like the folks here. Great forum.

Personally we’re leaning Audi Q7 or GLE probably spring / summer time frame. We test drove both and loved them. You simply cannot believe how quiet the Q7 is. Insane. Maybe the new MDX, but I’m struggling to warm up to another Honda product especially with their limited color combos and the fact that consumer reports has been pretty hard on them lately for quality - If I’m going to have to put up with problems it might as well be in a German car. Most of Nissan / Infiniti is junk these days, but I’d consider a QX80. That’s built on a pretty solid (but thirsty) platform. Make sure you are happy with the infotainment system on them though - They really have been pretty far behind in that area and you might find the Pilot has a better system... or maybe not. I’d just look carefully at it. Also doesn’t sound like the QX80 gets good marks for handling.... so think about that if it’s been a concern.
You get! 😅. I've come to loathe driving the Pilot even though it does take me where I need to go and has been dependable so far.

I test drove the GLE and didn't like how low it was and front legroom felt a bit cramped. I haven't considered or test driven the Q7, but it doesn't look it has much cargo space to begin with and it looks like a low ride too. The QX56 that I test drove was a smooth ride and felt like I was driving a car instead of the behemoth it is. If I recall I test drove a Lexus GX460 and it felt way smaller than the Pilot and I didn't have the same "I want to take this car home" feeling like I did with the QX56. I think am going to see if I can stack the Q7, GX460 and QX80 physically against each other for a side to side comparison. I do love everything else about the Pilot though but the driving it part.

I actually considered the MDX when I was coming off the RDX, but it was a very stiff ride and I was disappointed with the back legroom and cargo area. This is why I ended up with the Pilot. The Pilot handled well on the test drive but the driving sucked so bad off the bat in the expressway which is where the "What have I done?" feeling started. I don't know how I missed how heavy a drive it was when I test drove it as I doubt I'd have bought and would have kept shopping.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Any advice on the QX80 reliability vs Honda? My 2013 Honda Pilot has 94K miles. The 2014 QX80 has 102K @$27K. There's also a 2013 QX56 with 106K miles for $22K.
IMO the Infinity /Nissan vehicles look fantastic but fail to deliver reliable service. If you do not want to make the repairs to the Pilot and want something different and upscale look at used upper end Toyota or Lexus. As mentioned about the Infinity depreciation “there are reasons for that” that reputation is well deserved.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You get! 😅. I've come to loathe driving the Pilot even though it does take me where I need to go and has been dependable so far.

I test drove the GLE and didn't like how low it was and front legroom felt a bit cramped. I haven't considered or test driven the Q7, but it doesn't look it has much cargo space to begin with and it looks like a low ride too. The QX56 that I test drove was a smooth ride and felt like I was driving a car instead of the behemoth it is. If I recall I test drove a Lexus GX460 and it felt way smaller than the Pilot and I didn't have the same "I want to take this car home" feeling like I did with the QX56. I think am going to see if I can stack the Q7, GX460 and QX80 physically against each other for a side to side comparison. I do love everything else about the Pilot though but the driving it part.

I actually considered the MDX when I was coming off the RDX, but it was a very stiff ride and I was disappointed with the back legroom and cargo area. This is why I ended up with the Pilot. The Pilot handled well on the test drive but the driving sucked so bad off the bat in the expressway which is where the "What have I done?" feeling started. I don't know how I missed how heavy a drive it was when I test drove it as I doubt I'd have bought and would have kept shopping.
Odd on the GLE, at least the 2021’s felt reasonably tall and I had no complaints up front or in the 2nd row - 2nd row is remarkably huge actually. The Q7 and the GLE have less interior and cargo space than the Pilot despite both being at least somewhat larger. The Q7 sits a lot lower and is about 8 inches longer. It doesn’t sound like the Q7 would interest you. The GLE is like 2-3 inches longer an close on height. Truly to match the Pilot interior space you have to go bigger like a GLS, QX80, etc. Our Pilot’s are remarkable in how efficient they with space - the big box design can haul a ton. If only it had sound insulation, a driveline that didn’t feel like it was made of glass, and suspension tuning to handle a bit better...

·
Registered
753 Posts
IMO the Infinity /Nissan vehicles look fantastic but fail to deliver reliable service. If you do not want to make the repairs to the Pilot and want something different and upscale look at used upper end Toyota or Lexus. As mentioned about the Infinity depreciation “there are reasons for that” that reputation is well deserved.
I agree for most models but I think the QX80 maybe an exception there. They’ve been building it forever and it doesn’t use the CVT or anything really fancy. To me it seems kind of like one of the last old school Nissans before they destroyed the brand. Consumer Reports puts qx80 predicted reliability as about average, which is to say about the same as a new Pilot.

Toyota is for sure a step up in reliability.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
For the truck platforms (R51 Pathfinder, Frontier, Titan, Armada and the Infiniti equivalents) the drivetrain has been very stout. Nissans may have been behind on infotainment but they haven't been buggy like Honda experienced for a period. Outside of some early CVTs being problematic, I'm not really aware of any widespread reliability issues with Nissan...

Odd on the GLE, at least the 2021’s felt reasonably tall and I had no complaints up front or in the 2nd row - 2nd row is remarkably huge actually. The Q7 and the GLE have less interior and cargo space than the Pilot despite both being at least somewhat larger. The Q7 sits a lot lower and is about 8 inches longer. It doesn’t sound like the Q7 would interest you. The GLE is like 2-3 inches longer an close on height. Truly to match the Pilot interior space you have to go bigger like a GLS, QX80, etc. Our Pilot’s are remarkable in how efficient they with space - the big box design can haul a ton. If only it had sound insulation, a driveline that didn’t feel like it was made of glass, and suspension tuning to handle a bit better...
Just picked a random quote here, not necessarily aimed at you in particular... are we looking at full size body on frame SUVs or midsize luxury crossovers? You ruled out the MDX but I know a GLE and Q7 have similarly tiny 3rd row seats. I understand looking at different classes of vehicle but I feel like you need to decide which class you (being the OP) want before we can really give you good advice. It's no surprise a QX80 feels larger and more powerful than any of the crossovers, but it will get 10mpg less on the highway and handle like a pickup rather than a tall sedan. Sure, crossovers don't have the "I tower over you and run you over!" of the QX80 or the sporty feel of a proper sedan, but they do everything well which is why they are so popular.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just picked a random quote here, not necessarily aimed at you in particular... are we looking at full size body on frame SUVs or midsize luxury crossovers? You ruled out the MDX but I know a GLE and Q7 have similarly tiny 3rd row seats. I understand looking at different classes of vehicle but I feel like you need to decide which class you (being the OP) want before we can really give you good advice. It's no surprise a QX80 feels larger and more powerful than any of the crossovers, but it will get 10mpg less on the highway and handle like a pickup rather than a tall sedan. Sure, crossovers don't have the "I tower over you and run you over!" of the QX80 or the sporty feel of a proper sedan, but they do everything well which is why they are so popular.
Full size SUV where I still have decent cargo room when the 3rd row is in use. Also need decent handling, not too bulky to drive like the Pilot is. I test drove the GX460 today and whereas it does respond way better than the Pilot, it did feel bulky compared to the QX56 I drove a while back. Even though the Lexus was a very sweet ride and I really liked the dashboard wasn't as busy or plasticky like the Pilot, I couldn't get to the window's armrest, and with the 3rd row up there was almost zero cargo space compared to the Pilot.

It really looks like I may just have to live with the Pilot for now since it's either I give up cargo space or the Homda reliability. I also don't think I want to buy a car with over 100K miles when the Pilot has 94K. I'd much prefer around 50K miles and those are out of my budget right now. I guess I answered my own question as I'm getting the most bang for my buck with the Pilot inspite of its shortcomings.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Full size SUV where I still have decent cargo room when the 3rd row is in use. Also need decent handling, not too bulky to drive like the Pilot is. I test drove the GX460 today and whereas it does respond way better than the Pilot, it did feel bulky compared to the QX56 I drove a while back. Even though the Lexus was a very sweet ride and I really liked the dashboard wasn't as busy or plasticky like the Pilot, I couldn't get to the window's armrest, and with the 3rd row up there was almost zero cargo space compared to the Pilot.

It really looks like I may just have to live with the Pilot for now since it's either I give up cargo space or the Homda reliability. I also don't think I want to buy a car with over 100K miles when the Pilot has 94K. I'd much prefer around 50K miles and those are out of my budget right now. I guess I answered my own question as I'm getting the most bang for my buck with the Pilot inspite of its shortcomings.
Yea I think you are looking for two things that don't exist... something that is as big or bigger than the Pilot (The QX certainly is) but drives smaller.

Have you looked at a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave? Our Traverse handles way better than the Pilot, doesn't pogo nearly as much on the suspension. My Traverse is within 0.1" of the Pilot in width, a couple inches shorter but nearly a foot longer. The 3rd row has just a little more legroom and quite a bit more cargo space behind the 3rd row. So similar in size (width) but larger (length) and drivers better. The Acadia Denali or Enclave's upper level trims have a nice luxury feel, my Traverse LT2 (leather) is pretty comparable to our Pilot EX-L.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts