Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Honda Pilot Good morning everyone and thank you for allowing me to join, I appreciate it, I have a 2013 Honda Pilot. I’ve owned several pilots and usually flipping to the new pilot when I get around 60 or 70,000 miles. I don’t really love the new body style so I want to keep my 2013 pilot. I have 80,000 miles. I want to invest some money into the vehicle to make it last in great shape next 3-5 years what do you guys suggest. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
603 Posts
1. Disable the VCM to save your engine from premature damage, using S-VCM or VCMTunerII. VCM Disablers: VCMuzzler II, S-VCM, VCM Tuner II -- Which one and *why*?
2. Change your transmission fluid (drain and fill only, NO machine flush, see attached PDF). If you haven't kept up with this every 30,000 miles, then do 4 transmission fluid changes per the manual, which will replace about 90% of your fluid. Then start changing it every 30 You can buy Honda DW-1 fluid by the case on Ebay, or switch it out to Valvoline MaxLife ATF to save a little money on the fluid if you are going to DIY.
3. Have your lower control arm Compliance bushings inspected for cracks. You can do this yourself or have your Honda dealer do this. If they detect any cracks, there is an extended warranty program that you MIGHT still be eligible for depending on when the vehicle originally sold. (7 years from original purchase date or 100k miles) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058376-6246.pdf
4. Your next big maintenance is at 105k miles. Timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, bolts, water pump, spark plugs.

After that, it's just make sure you change your oil, oil filter, and engine air filter on schedule..... and drive it. You will possibly need rear shocks, front struts, driveshafts, transmission pressure switches, as those are all known to wear/fail.... but I'd wait until they were necessary and not do that proactively if there are no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Boom has you covered. I'd say you should easily make that with a '13, just give it the love it deserves and it will love you back.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Since you didn’t state where you live if you have snow keep on top of the rust most of my pilots have next to null for rust even after 225k and rolling on! And like cintocrunch stated Boom has u covered oh welcome to the forums BTW!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boom has you covered. I'd say you should easily make that with a '13, just give it the love it deserves and it will love you back.
Thank you very much for such a clear and detailed response I really appreciate it this is very helpful
1. Disable the VCM to save your engine from premature damage, using S-VCM or VCMTunerII. VCM Disablers: VCMuzzler II, S-VCM, VCM Tuner II -- Which one and why?
2. Change your transmission fluid (drain and fill only, NO machine flush, see attached PDF). If you haven't kept up with this every 30,000 miles, then do 4 transmission fluid changes per the manual, which will replace about 90% of your fluid. Then start changing it every 30 You can buy Honda DW-1 fluid by the case on Ebay, or switch it out to Valvoline MaxLife ATF to save a little money on the fluid if you are going to DIY.
3. Have your lower control arm Compliance bushings inspected for cracks. You can do this yourself or have your Honda dealer do this. If they detect any cracks, there is an extended warranty program that you MIGHT still be eligible for depending on when the vehicle originally sold. (7 years from original purchase date or 100k miles) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058376-6246.pdf
4. Your next big maintenance is at 105k miles. Timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, bolts, water pump, spark plugs.

After that, it's just make sure you change your oil, oil filter, and engine air filter on schedule..... and drive it. You will possibly need rear shocks, front struts, driveshafts, transmission pressure switches, as those are all known to wear/fail.... but I'd wait until they were necessary and not do that proactively if there are no issues.
I’m having trouble opening up that file you sent is there another way the only device I can use is a smart phone which I guess isn’t that smart or I’m not that smart

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The link in that post is to a thread here on which VCM disabler is "best". Clicking on that should take you to the thread. No file to download and read on your phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The link for that works fine I was asking about the Honda atf flush doc. Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is a pdf file If you don't have an app for those on your phone (which is weird), just make a search for "Adobe Acrobat Reader" in the app store.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1. Disable the VCM to save your engine from premature damage, using S-VCM or VCMTunerII. VCM Disablers: VCMuzzler II, S-VCM, VCM Tuner II -- Which one and why?

"If you haven't kept up with this every 30,000 miles, then do 4 transmission fluid changes per the manual, which will replace about 90% of your fluid."

What if you have kept up with the atf drain procedure every 30k(I have it done at the dealership), is one drop and drain adequate?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
It is a pdf file If you don't have an app for those on your phone (which is weird), just make a search for "Adobe Acrobat Reader" in the app store.
Wait ..i bet it's a flip phone ... remember those ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
"If you haven't kept up with this every 30,000 miles, then do 4 transmission fluid changes per the manual, which will replace about 90% of your fluid."

What if you have kept up with the atf drain procedure every 30k(I have it done at the dealership), is one drop and drain adequate?
Yes, in my opinion. My advice for the 4 drain/fills was targeting IF someone had 80,000 miles and had never changed it. If someone changed the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles since new, then they should just keep doing that.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
141 Posts
boom is spot on with this answer - the only thing I'd add is that I wouldn't wait 105k miles for the timing belt since it's rubber and it does age. Generally I've heard 105k miles or 7 YEARS. So if you're looking for a good place to invest your money on the car - I'd do that (and the transmission fluid changes).

I've got a 2013 Pilot with 61k miles and prepping to DIY my timing belt here in the next few months based on age. Also prepping to do my Lexus IS300 timing belt again - 10k miles, but timed out on age.

·
Registered
603 Posts
One comment on timing belt age. Honda no longer has a specification for age. They now say "follow the Maintenance Minder schedule" and this trips around 105k. I am not saying its unnecessary to change your belt.... but Honda does. They stopped stating the 7 year timeout like a decade ago.

Personally, with a 2013 and 61k, I know I'd push that at least 2-3 more years, unless I reached 105k before 3 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I completely forgot that I had joined this site when we had our first 2011 pilot. I couldn’t remember my login from back then so I had to make a new account. Anyways that’s beside the point. We currently have a 2014 EX-L pilot which like I said is our second and we love the body style. The newer shape isn’t my style as it looks too much like our 2012 odyssey (we previously had a 1999 odyssey handed down from my parents which was also an awesome car). We did our odyssey timing belt at exactly 100k about a year ago. We just did our 2014 pilot at 96k. My husband and I both owned VWs before we got married and my husbands timing belt blew out his engine in that car at 70k. I know you can’t really compare VW and Honda but ever since that experience we are cautious with pushing the timing belt service. The odyssey we did at the Honda dealership and it was about $1200 for that and a few other minor things. The pilot we just did at firestone as they quoted us $3000 at Honda for all the 95k services. Firestone was $1700. They told me the car is basically as good as brand new at this point. I don’t care what people say negative about Honda. All 4 hondas we have owned have been pretty damn good despite the road noise which seems to be the major complaint people have. Our 2012 odyssey we bought used and that one has given us some issues that were fortunately covered by warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This may or may not apply to a 2013 (very similar to a 2010), but replace the AC Compressor Clutch Relay, as discussed below with symptoms, etc. My understanding is it's a common issue with lots of Hondas and Acuras from this era and prior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts