Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several issues going on.
Intermittent problem when starting - turn the key and it continues to sound like it is starting after I have let go of the key. A couple of times have had to turn it off to get it to stop trying to start.
Intermittent problem - Check Fuel Cap light comes on. Randomly while driving. Emissions guy said it could be a solenoid or cracked hose somewhere. Have replaced fuel cap at mechanics recommendation. Still happens.
Daily problem - ticking/clicking noise after starting. I only hear it in garage when engine is cold.
Daily problem - acceleration often sluggish. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't want to accelerate or kick into passing gear.
Have recently replaced the fuel pump due to complete failure - breakdown while driving. All issues started prior to fuel pump going out.
I get conflicting answers from each mechanic I speak with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shop wants to put in another fuel pump - this time a Honda part. I'm baffled. Have owned several Hondas and never had problems with only 110k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 that I have owned for almost 2 years and I had the Check Fuel Cap light come on once after getting gas. I loosened and tightened it and I have never had the problem again. I was getting slow acceleration at low RPMs (almost like a hesitation), and that was fixed when I did the 105k service. I used to hear the ticking/clicking noise on cold starts in my CR-V, but that was a common problem related to the VTC accuator or oil pump (depending on who you ask) and have never heard it in my Pilot.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The solenoid on the starter or a sticky starter relay may be the cause of the starter not disengaging. Easiest first step is to swap relays if there is a similar one you can borrow. Or just replace the relay since they are relatively inexpensive. After that you might just bite the bullet and replace the starter. Sure, you could try to take it apart and clean it out, etc., but for me it wouldn’t be worth the time and effort if cleaning it out didn’t resolve the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your gas cap light could be related to the fuel EVAP going bad. That could have something to do with the sluggish acceleration as well if the system can't purge the air/vapor from the line to deliver liquid fuel it could be slower to accelerate. Just spit ballin not a mechanic. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts