Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently bought a new Toyota Highlander so he gave me his 2013 Honda Pilot Touring. The car has approximately 167k miles. The car runs well but I was told that randomly, the CEL flashes and the car has accelerating issues. Today I experience this issue firsthand on the highway. I drove about 10 miles to work with the CEL flashing. I parked the car, restarted it and there's no CEL.

My father told me that he has had this issue checked out by a mechanic(not Honda). Since there's no CEL on, they couldn't diagnose the problem. This has been an on and off issue. I'm not sure what the issue is? Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Have it scanned to see what codes were triggered, then report back. Even though there is no CEL, the codes are stored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have the spark plugs ever been changed?
I would believe so, I will have them checked out. In regards to overall maintenance, not sure what was done to the car. What type of maintenance is typically done on a high mileage Honda Pilot? Anything major?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would believe so, I will have them checked out. In regards to overall maintenance, not sure what was done to the car. What type of maintenance is typically done on a high mileage Honda Pilot? Anything major?
With 167K? Without knowing the history, the following to a bare minimum:

Plugs @ 90K, so it's almost time for a second set
Timing Belt, Tensioner,(s) Water Pump, Coolant, Accessory Belt, PCV, thermostat - every 105K - Then coolant change every 60K - So it's ready for coolant change #2 now
Transmission fluid every 20-30K
Transfer Case - Every 30-40K
Rear Differential - 1st change should have been done @ 15K, then every 20-30K or so
Throttle body and MAF cleanings every 30K or so
Brake fluid every 3 years, regardless of mileage
Power Steering fluid, every 60K or so

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With 167K? Without knowing the history, the following to a bare minimum:

Plugs @ 90K, so it's almost time for a second set
Timing Belt, Tensioner,(s) Water Pump, Coolant, Accessory Belt, PCV, thermostat - every 105K - Then coolant change every 60K - So it's ready for coolant change #2 now
Transmission fluid every 20-30K
Transfer Case - Every 30-40K
Rear Differential - 1st change should have been done @ 15K, then every 20-30K or so
Throttle body and MAF cleanings every 30K or so
Brake fluid every 3 years, regardless of mileage
Power Steering fluid, every 60K or so
WOW. Thank you, I'll ask to see if he kept maintenance records which i doubt he did.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If he did the maintenance at a Honda dealer, the records are there. Drag him with you and they can be transferred to your name for future access/reference. If he just Jiffy-Lube'd it once in a while, less chance of getting the full records. Or maybe that is the full record. Criticals will include that last timing belt/WP/idlers replacement. Do all the fluids now regardless, just so YOU have a good baseline.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
844 Posts
If he did the maintenance at a Honda dealer, the records are there. Drag him with you and they can be transferred to your name for future access/reference. If he just Jiffy-Lube'd it once in a while, less chance of getting the full records. Or maybe that is the full record. Criticals will include that last timing belt/WP/idlers replacement. Do all the fluids now regardless, just so YOU have a good baseline.

Enjoy the new ride!

Another alternative is creating a free account on MyCARFAX. The service history may be there if the dealer reports accordingly to Carfax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts