Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring that I bought new. It has basically been pretty good with a couple of major issues and a few minor ones. Fortunately I purchased 120k mile warranty with the car. At about 90K, I brought it in for an oil change, asked them to check for a clicking noise while turning. I like my dealer service dept., don't think they overcharge are and every indication that are honest. They found a front end problem apparently covered by 100k powertrain - cost nothing to fix (probably about $1.5k. However, they also found that 2 engine mounts needed replacing. Cost would have been $3.5k-$4k. They said I could drive as-is, but it would put extra stress on transmission. I reminded him of my extended warranty, which covered it with $100 deductible. The extended warranty paid for itself +, ESPECIALLY at a time when I was unemployed and could not afford such a large repair. I am basically happy with the vehicle. I am wondering if other folks have had any engine mount problems with their Pilots?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome aboard this forums. Congrats on dodging that expensive bullet! May I suggest you post this on here: https://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/
This way you will get more viewers to read on your experience so members on your model year Pilot having a similar issue may benefit from your advice.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Cost would have been $3.5k-$4k
Is this in pesos? Yen?

What was repaired to solve the clicking when turning? Was it an axle/driveshaft? Because I'm so curious as to what could have cost $1.5k.

·
Registered
703 Posts
$4K to replace 2 engine mounts? Surely there is a straight up independent shop in your area that could do the work, using OEM parts? I would NOT use aftermarket engine mounts. I've found NO ONE who make good ones--all seem the same detritus from Xina.They cosmetically LOOK the same as OEM, but the rubber compound is vastly inferior to even the relatively crappy Honda motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
$4K to replace 2 engine mounts? Surely there is a straight up independent shop in your area that could do the work, using OEM parts? I would NOT use aftermarket engine mounts. I've found NO ONE who make good ones--all seem the same detritus from Xina.They cosmetically LOOK the same as OEM, but the rubber compound is vastly inferior to even the relatively crappy Honda motor mounts.
Sounds more like they swapped an engine for that price

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2014 with 75k just got the airbag recall done and they're quoting me $580 for inner tie rod replacement due to "clicking noise when turning". Since these Pilots are notorious for premature engine mount problems...I wonder if this is the same issue. Engine mounts are covered under the powertrain (extended) warranty but not tie rods.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My 2014 with 75k just got the airbag recall done and they're quoting me $580 for inner tie rod replacement due to "clicking noise when turning". Since these Pilots are notorious for premature engine mount problems...I wonder if this is the same issue. Engine mounts are covered under the powertrain (extended) warranty but not tie rods.
The inner/outer tie rod job is fairly simple. $50-60 in parts and you'll need a front end alignment when done.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'll add that it's worth changing the whole tie rod & end together, as they both see pretty much the same duty. Alignment costs remains the same.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 2011 Pilot just passed 90K miles and my accessory belt tensioner has been making a loud chattering noise on startup but goes away once warmed up. I ordered a replacement and was under my hood looking at how to remove it and discovered my passenger side engine mount is leaking. (On a side note, it's interesting that Honda changed to a different tensioner design in 2012 and later models!)

$ I would NOT use aftermarket engine mounts. I've found NO ONE who make good ones--all seem the same detritus from Xina.They cosmetically LOOK the same as OEM, but the rubber compound is vastly inferior to even the relatively crappy Honda motor mounts.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had been looking at aftermarket mounts, thinking that maybe they fixed what Honda couldn't but you're probably correct that it's best to stick with OEM. From what I can see, not all of the replacement mounts are filled with hydraulic fluid either. With the VCM vibrations these engines make, the hydraulic dampening is probably a key component in the design and I'd rather stick with that.

I know, this is the wrong forum for my 2011, but I too have clicking when turning. I thought it was a CV joint or a bad ball joint but I'll inspect the tie rods. Are the ball joints pretty durable on these Pilots?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the dealership replace one engine mount for $1200, but I am glad that I had the Extended Warranty. Mine went in for another issue... that still isn't fixed though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts