Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other posts discussed compass not staying calibrated or in correct time zone.

Dealer recently charged me $100 to tell me compass not working and module/part located above headliner near tailgate needed replacement.

What caught me by surprise was repair quoted at $1,000 for snapping in a part (2 mounting screws and 1 electrical connector).

Solution - bought compass part online via Amazon $80 + visit to Harbor Freight for $8 plastic body trim removal kit. An hour of my time to partially expose rear driver side area of headliner (removal of 2 interior dome lights) and repair was completed. An easy fix done at home.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Thanks for sharing the tips!

Sometimes we forget to thank those who share great ideas and experiences that are pay-it-forward efforts. I can remember a few questions about the compass module in the past year or three.

I'll also echo the dealer's hesitance to work on the module replacement blindly. For many cars, the headliner is among the least obvious victims of heat and age deterioration. If you live in a hot place and the car sits outside a lot, it becomes pretty easy to tear or scratch the covering, crumble the foam backing or any support pieces. "It looked new when I dropped it off!" yet was somehow damaged during the dealer repair usually means a new headliner is bundled into the service estimate, with a couple guys' labor time. Or the dealer eats the costs, something they are not always happy about.

The Good News is that the trim parts and pieces like your compass module are still available as production parts. Somewhere maybe fifteen or twenty years down the road from last car built, sometimes sooner, these parts will become less popular and the supply chains will dry up. Maybe there will be enough cars left to keep making some of the pieces, hard to say.

I was just asked by a long-time client where they might find replacement modules for a ten-plus years out of date turbine controller. Ebay? They wanted to avoid the manufacturer's maintenance agreement costs, and have for most of that time. Manufacturer might want to make more, except the chips and processors are long out of production. That Ebay piece, "new in box", is out of the sealed antistatic wrapper, plus it's of the same vintage as the aged-out piece you are looking to replace. A good deal? Lots more Pilots made than French steam turbines... There's hope for us. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts