Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a 2013 ex-l, 65k. Basic mom mobile, school, shopping and errands with the once a year family vacation to the Cape. I’ve searched the forum but can’t find the exact answer I’m looking for so hoping someone can help. Thank you in advance.

1. Local dealer in Branford, CT is recommending the timing belt change as we just turned 7 years. I’ve never heard of doing this before 100k. Advisable to trust the dealer on this? Is there a way to check to see if it’s on the way out? Hate to prematurely spend over a grand of its got time.

2. Dealer also recommended a fuel injection service. Can BG44k accomplish the same thing?

3. When turning the wheel, I’m feeling a knock in the steering wheel???

Lastly, tire recommendations, I recently put on Pirelli Scorpion Verdes less than 30k ago, they are rated much higher than that and are already ready for replacement.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Hi all, we have a 2013 ex-l, 65k. Basic mom mobile, school, shopping and errands with the once a year family vacation to the Cape. I’ve searched the forum but can’t find the exact answer I’m looking for so hoping someone can help. Thank you in advance.

1. Local dealer in Branford, CT is recommending the timing belt change as we just turned 7 years. I’ve never heard of doing this before 100k. Advisable to trust the dealer on this? Is there a way to check to see if it’s on the way out? Hate to prematurely spend over a grand of its got time.
Honda's recommendation for the 2013 if I remember correctly is 110,000 miles OR 7 years, which ever comes first. For the average driver they will hit the mileage before seven years. Timing belts are rubber compounds and they will degrade due to use, heat and time. If you choose to do the service, make sure to do the full service, which includes tensioner, water pump seals, as well as a new serpentine bet and tensioner.

2. Dealer also recommended a fuel injection service. Can BG44k accomplish the same thing?
While I am a BG fan/user, the pour in from any maker is only going to go so far. My vehicles once out of warranty get a BG fuel injection service that includes BG44 in between.

With that said, I must disclose that because I live in the city where BG is located and because one of our mechanics at work, he got me on the BG demonstrator list, I do not pay for the service. When BG is demonstration their various hands on services they use regular owners vehicles for their demonstrations/training programs. It may well be that Honda is using this service. I do know that a few years ago my 3/4 ton PU was used when Honda came to look at their services and machines.

Sounds like an issue with a tie rod, ball joint or sway bar link to me. You need to check this out or have it checked out. It is a safety issue. Any non normal feeling, vibration etc. in the steering system has the potential to be serious.

Lastly, tire recommendations, I recently put on Pirelli Scorpion Verdes less than 30k ago, they are rated much higher than that and are already ready for replacement.

Thank you.
No experience with Pirelli tires. Various factors could play into premature wear. Tire pressure, alignment, wheel balance, as well as driving habits. I'm sure that others will drop in with recommendations on tires as well as your other questions.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
Pre-maintenance minder days, (up to 2005) Honda’s recommended timing belt service interval was 7 years / 105k miles. There is no way to check the timing belt and determine how much life is left in it. When the service is performed at a minimum the timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, tb tensioner, and coolant should be replaced. My wife’s Pilot was a low mileage Pilot like yours. We had the service performed at ~11 years / 80k miles. That was my risk threshold knowing if the belt broke it likely means replacing the engine.

For the fuel cleaning run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through the system and use a Tier 1 gasoline if you’re not already doing that.

Our Pilot is a tire eating machine and tires (excluding the original garbage it came with) last about 35k miles. In our case the tire wear pattern was even so it wasn’t an alignment issue. Set two was from BFG, set three was Michelin. Those tires had 60k warranties. I went through the claim process successfully with BFG; decided to forego it with Michelin although I likely would have “won.” Current set is Yokohama Geolandar. If we get 35k miles out of them I will be happy as they perform just as well as the BFG and Michelin tires we previously had, but cost $200 less for the set. We don’t drive in snow so my comparison is for highway and heavy rains.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
1.Honda does recommend changing the belt in 7 years even though you have not reached the 105k milage mark. Could you go longer? Probably. Others have. If you decide to keep driving, be gentle with acceleration. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can walk you through the job if you think you might DIY. The Aisin Timing Belt Water pump kit is on Rockauto.

2.Why are they recommending a fuel injection service? Are you having any problems with the engine running smoothly?
3.Is the knock in your steering a sound or a sensation, like jerking?
4.Considering your vehicle age and milage, I am assuming that you do a lot of city driving. Short trips, turning left and right frequently. If your original tires were replaced at approximately 35k miles, then then these Pirelli's are maybe 2.5 - 3 years old? If I gave the right analogy of your driving habits and the age of your current tires, it sounds like they have served you well. If your only driving 10k miles a year, You may consider a lower priced tire with the mind set of replacing them every 2 years. I buy my tires on the internet and have shipped to my house. For $100 My local tire shop installs them for me. $87.09 x 4 + $100 your only out $500 for a set of tires good for 2-3 years.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Pilots chew through tires. So honestly you should go with whatever fits your budget because regardless you'll be getting 35-40k miles out of the set. I cheaped out and went with a brand I never used before and have been disappointed. I think I'll pay more for Michelin next time and see if I can squeeze a little more life out of them. Depending on where you purchased the tires, try to do a warranty claim and get them to cover a portion of your new tires. Although I will say the previous tires on my 2008 lasted 59,000 miles and still had tread left when I replaced them. They had no traction at all and were incredibly loud.

The injection service- waste of money. Run a tank of premium gas with the cleaner in it and you'll be fine. Never paid for that kind of service on any of my cars.

As far as timing belt goes, push it a little bit further but the dealer isn't really trying to rip you off. Honda recommends replacing timing belt at 7 years or 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Before you dive into the front suspension, release the steering wheel position adjuster, and move the wheel up and down, full-forward to full-extension positions while rotating it slightly. That redistributes the grease in the sliding splines and solves a common issue similar to what you describe.

Anyone here actually experienced the rated tire mileage on their tires on a Pilot? I swapped the original tires early last winter as snow was expected. At about 50k, the original Michelins still had another season or two of tread life life left per the wear bars, but with snow coming it wasn't going to be a fun winter on them. A little less than 4k on Mich LTX so a bit early to opine on life. On sale at Costco back then for a little under $800 OTD. In my limited experience, cheap tires are no bargain. There are obviously other opinions, else there wouldn't be cheap tires available.

There's no such thing as a prophylactic fuel injection cleaning. If they aren't dirty, no amount of cleaning will help. If you drive the car regularly with good top-tier fuel, you are well on your way already. For peace of mind, drop a couple bottles of Techron in each tank of fuel on your vacation drive. It's cheap at Costco. That will take care of casual varnish removal and lubrication.

I've helped several folks recover from a dealer "fuel injection cleaning" they didn't need. I have a full BG setup for cleaning the injectors on the car, but honestly it's a dust collector right now. I use it more for testing and calibrating mechanical fuel injection components that I do actually cleaning injectors.

With about 55k and at 7.5 years old, our Pilot still has the original timing belt. It gets driven gently so a mileage-driven schedule doesn't so easily apply. We're in clean-air country, and the car lives in a climate-stable garage between uses. Just not a hard life for a timing belt. I'm OK with Honda's recommendation for around 100k miles, but I might get bored one of these days and just invest the morning in a belt replacement. I have all the tools except the crank bolt tool, but that's easy enough to find. The Aisen kit is under $200 at the front door. There's another car just finishing its session in the workbay right now, so I could probably just slip the TB work in later in the week assuming all the medical reports come back good. I deferred some maintenance on myself, in the middle of catching up on all that before I start tearing stuff apart.

Should you listen to my advice about projecting belt life on your wife's car? No. I have no idea how she drives the car, or how it's stored and maintained otherwise. Take a look at the serpentine belt now; if it is starting to look a little worn or cracked, it's sort of a bellwether for the timing belt condition. Replace both and be comfortable.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
1.Honda does recommend changing the belt in 7 years even though you have not reached the 105k milage mark. Could you go longer? Probably. Others have. If you decide to keep driving, be gentle with acceleration. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can walk you through the job if you think you might DIY. The Aisin Timing Belt Water pump kit is on Rockauto.
View attachment 137481
2.Why are they recommending a fuel injection service? Are you having any problems with the engine running smoothly?
3.Is the knock in your steering a sound or a sensation, like jerking?
4.Considering your vehicle age and milage, I am assuming that you do a lot of city driving. Short trips, turning left and right frequently. If your original tires were replaced at approximately 35k miles, then then these Pirelli's are maybe 2.5 - 3 years old? If I gave the right analogy of your driving habits and the age of your current tires, it sounds like they have served you well. If your only driving 10k miles a year, You may consider a lower priced tire with the mind set of replacing them every 2 years. I buy my tires on the internet and have shipped to my house. For $100 My local tire shop installs them for me. $87.09 x 4 + $100 your only out $500 for a set of tires good for 2-3 years.
Added: Since others have made "cheap tire" remarks. This Sumitomo tire is rated for 60k miles. It is #3 out of 16 in the high performance category. My 3800lb Honda Crosstour went the full warranted distance by rotating them every 10k miles. Inflated to 37psi cold. It's a great tire for the money.

·
Registered
652 Posts
OP: Like you, my t-belt replacement will be due to age, not mileage. I'm still on the fence, though, about whether I'll be selling or keeping or the Pilot for the long haul.

There're many complaints about the OE Michelins but I got lucky with mine lasting nearly 60k miles. I replaced them with Nexen Aria H7s about 10k miles ago and so far, so good. They're smooth and quiet tires that have handled 2 Northeast winters well. To boot, I got a great deal on them @$420 shipped to my door. I regularly rotate my tires in an X-pattern. That seems to help them wear well and keep the noise down.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
OP: Like you, my t-belt replacement will be due to age, not mileage. I'm still on the fence, though, about whether I'll be selling or keeping or the Pilot for the long haul.

There're many complaints about the OE Michelins but I got lucky with mine lasting nearly 60k miles. I replaced them with Nexen Aria H7s about 10k miles ago and so far, so good. They're smooth and quiet tires that have handled 2 Northeast winters well. To boot, I got a great deal on them @$420 shipped to my door. I regularly rotate my tires in an X-pattern. That seems to help them wear well and keep the noise down.
I like your tire choice 👍, but just rotate front to back. Reversing the direction isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Following up on dr bob's post about greasing the steering splines, please see my post (#12) in this thread, which includes photos and step by step directions. Cheap way of possibly solving the steering knock, unless there's something more going on in the steering that's causing you to your only getting 30K miles on a set of tires.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Following up on dr bob's post about greasing the steering splines, please see my post (#12) in this thread, which includes photos and step by step directions. Cheap way of possibly solving the steering knock, unless there's something more going on in the steering that's causing you to your only getting 30K miles on a set of tires.
Good Luck.
This is very good advice. I had the same problem and this fixed it despite me not believing it would. :)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts

Thank you.
You got plenty of responses but I will chime in as welel...

1. You may be able to push it another year or so but I wouldn't wait until you get to 100k. My wife's Pilot is at 65k with 6 years on the timing belt. She is in PA school so I will look to do it or have it done when she is done around 8 years.
  2. No need for this, your port injection washes fuel over the valves. Worst case is if the injector itself is dirty which matters less in port injection than in direct injection. If you use quality fuels this is a pass. Definitely a pass from the dealer. If it makes you feel better, grab a can of Tehcron or Seafoam injector cleaner and use it.
  3. Others have this covered.
  4. We replaced the OEMs at 35k with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde in the XL load rating. At 65k they are maybe a little over halfway through their usable life. They have been an excellent performing tire for us and I am expecting 50-60k out of them so the new version will be considered as the replacement. The Traverse has Michelin X-LT A/S (Costco version of Defender LTX) installed a couple months ago. I am quite liking them as well so we will see how they perform over the next couple years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts