Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pilot had a small deer try to go all MMA on a front fender wheel arch this spring. The fender isn't terrible but enough so that I just bought a new, OEM fender and took it to a shop to have it painted and put on. They called and asked that I bring the car back as DuPont sent 5 (!) subtly different blacks that may apply. I brought to them and quickly realized that each sample looked the same to me. 5 samples seems like a lot for a color like black in which I can appreciate no metallic.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
My Pilot had a small deer try to go all MMA on a front fender wheel arch this spring. The fender isn't terrible but enough so that I just bought a new, OEM fender and took it to a shop to have it painted and put on. They called and asked that I bring the car back as DuPont sent 5 (!) subtly different blacks that may apply. I brought to them and quickly realized that each sample looked the same to me. 5 samples seems like a lot for a color like black in which I can appreciate no metallic.

Any thoughts?
Crystal Black Pearl sure as hell has metallic in it. Some gold, blue and silver. This is my 3rd CBP vehicle.

If you don't have an eye for it, let someone at the shop make the call. It may be hard to tell on small test samples but on a fender next to a door it will be obvious.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
"test" panels are big enough to take out to the car and compare in different lights. If they sent thumbnail chips, don't commit on any of them. If you choose and it's wrong, it's on you. Tell -them- to make it right.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Try and find a good used fender already painted your color at www.car-part.com

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
IME black paint is not as ez to match as one may think. Under certain lighting the sheen depth and overall finish of the fresh paint could be ez to spot especially next to older paint on the hood and doors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Living in the land of salted roads drove my decision to just buy a new fender. My color vision is borderline at best. The car is mostly a safe, capable and reliable transporter for my daughter so while she does not abuse it, the car is a driver. The paint samples were about 4in x 3 in. The owners of the body shop each live about 2 blocks away and are car enthusiasts too so I'm gonna have to be ok with their judgement on paint match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts