Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Canada and it appears that the corrosion got to my 2013 Honda Pilot backup camera. I have heard of others that have had the same problem. Looking at the camera the aluminum housing looks to be in pretty rough shape, perhaps the deterioration is accelerated by being next to the steel bracket. I'm posting this here as I was assisted by some of the information others had posted, but I didn't see someone reporting success.

I uninstalled the rear hatch trim plastics and then removed the two bolts that hold the upper (above the license plate) exterior trim work by removing the two nuts and then squeezing the heads of the white plastic fasteners to release the trim work from the rear hatch. There are two OEM electrical connectors that need to be unplugged, then the rubber grommet can be removed and the whole assembly comes out.

The OEM camera can be seen below, I believe it is a Sony Model, VCB-H91/3.

IMG_20200822_101037.jpg

I purchased an inexpensive camera off Amazon Backup Camera, NOAUKA Waterproof IP68 Night Vision 170 Degree Car Rear View/Reversing/Reverse Camera Universal Color CMOS Imaging Chip Backup Parking HD Front View Camera: Amazon.ca: Electronics which is no longer available from the link I purchased, but I think there are lots others that are very similar.

The OEM camera had 5 connections, two for power, two for video and one for the shield of the cable. The new camera didn't have a shielded cable, so I connected the following. Note the car wiring harness is 6 pin, but it had 12 wires on the back side, including enough stubby ends that I could connect to the spare wires. I simply cut off the old camera.

CameraCar Wiring Harness
Video Cable: Yellow (camera center pin of RCA composite video jack)Yellow
Video Cable: Black (camera outer connector of RCA composite video jack)White
Video Power: RedPink
Video Power: BlackBlue (which is connected to the black ground)

The OEM camera is square, so the bracket angles it down at ~ 45 degrees.

The new camera is already at 45 degrees, so I used a piece of scrap angle metal I had in the garage to create a new bracket.

After installing this is what it looks like:

After putting the Pilot in reverse, I could see that I was getting backup lines from the camera and also from the pilot.

The instructions from the camera indicated that I can cut a small loop of wire on the wiring harness in order to disable the camera's backup lines, at which point I was left with only the Honda lines.

Success!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
248 Posts
Good ole galvanic corrosion that manufacturers don’t think about. When putting two different metals in contact with the other, the metal that is slower to rust actually accelerates the Oxidization of the faster rusting metal. When ford started their switch to aluminum bodies, they used aluminum bed bolts held in with steel J hooks. I would say 99% of the time the hooks were completely frozen and destroyed and left you unable to loosen the bolt. So you’re left with shaving the heads completely off of every bolt to get the bed off. It’s a hassle.

that’s awesome you got your issue fixed! Props 🤘🏻 And good write up!

·
Registered
94 Posts
- Is the video quality better than the factory camera during night use?

- Do the different camera angle functions still work (normal, wide, down look)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My family think that the quality is better, I think it is about the same.

Regarding the different camera angle functions, either my (2013) vehicle doesn't have those or I've just never used them. Google turns up this
which is from a newer generation Pilot.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Navigation 2012+ models do have that feature. (Page 119 in 2013 Navigation manual)

The manner of camera hookup is the same - just a regular composite video signal. But the camera itself on nav models is different - it is wider.
39530-SZA-A01 - regular camera found on non-nac models
39530-SZA-A21 - wide angle camera on nav models

The top and regular views are achieved by digitally altering the image received from camera.
I would imagine if the replacement camera is the same wide angle view as OEM, multi-view should work fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts