Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll try to address all the comments:
  • Valve clearances have never been checked
  • EGR passages haven't been cleaned but I thought the EGR was only on the front bank and my issues seem to be focused on the rear bank
  • Timing belts can jump. It happens often on manual shift cars when the engine is overrevved. Subaru motors have an extra belt guide that is only on the motors for manual cars for just the reason. In any case, it would run fine one second and then not the second after it jumped.

Most importantly I'm having a heck of a time seeing everything and getting alignment using the inspection holes on the cover, BUT I do believe the timing belt jumped. With the rear cam mark seemingly lined up, the front cam mark is a tooth or two before the mark, and the marks on the crank pulley are all after the pointer. I'm going to pull the covers off and inspect further later today.
It’s official. Timing jumped on the rear cam 2-3 teeth, which is where I would expect it to jump since it’s just before the tensioner. I would think this isn’t enough to cause interference so I’ll be replacing the belt and tensioner and seeing what happens to compression.l and the misfire codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Crank position for the rear cam pic above. Front cam was right on the mark.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Does the tensioner have obvious signs of failure; oil leaks, fallen plunger...?

·
Registered
866 Posts
@Daltongang Can we merge this thread with the new one RallyKieth created,for the same issue?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Looks like two teeth, and we know it throws codes for that. So, we need you to move the cam to one tooth off, clear codes and tell us whether it sets fresh codes. Important tribal knowledge. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@Daltongang Can we merge this thread with the new one RallyKieth created,for the same issue?
Didn’t realize I was replying to the old thread. I just installed the Tapatalk app on my phone and I think I was not paying attention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Official Update:
I can't say for sure if it was 2 or 3 teeth off, but I was sure to have a breaker bar on the cam bolt to hold that cam from spinning (Which it really wanted to do) when I took the belt off. I put a new belt kit and tensioner on it last night. Checked the compression on #2 and it was up to 175 so as we thought it didn't appear to do any damage. I put it all back together and it runs fine.

The belt shows no signs of damage or aging(cracks). The tensionser shows no signs of leaking (pics below) and I can't depress the plunger by hand. I think I'm still chalking this up to reusing the original tensioner.

Thanks for all the input/help. I got some good reminders on other maintenance items that I should complete over the summer.
Keith

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Thanks for the update!
Glad you were able to fix it. I magin it's running a whole lot better now.
😀👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So interestingly enough, there used to be a rattling noise on this when you first started it up. Probably been there over a year. Would go away after a few seconds. Never thought much of it. I haven’t heard it since replacing the timing belt and tensioner. I’m thinking that tensioner was shot all this time and I got extremely lucky.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts