Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2012 VCM Shutter/Vibration

63K views 71 replies 49 participants last post by  fremagora 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Pilot last week. It's a 2012 4WD LX. I really like it, but I wanted to see if it is normal to feel a shutter/vibration each time the VCM is activated. I really only feel it on the highway at cruising speed (60 - 70). Sometimes when there is traffic and I have to slow down and speed up, it seems like the the VCM kicks on and off and there is a lot of shutter/vibration. I'm not sure if this is normal operation or if I should go the dealer to have it checked out. Plus if I bring it to the dealer they may say that it is normal and it may not be, so I figured that I would ask the forum.

#3 ·
OP, there are several threads on this topic with the 2010's and 2011's. A search should give you some very useful information.

I had it pretty bad with my 2011 EX-L. It is described as a very noticeable vibration in the seat and steering wheel when ECO was activated, accompanied by a noise that I liken to a "dragging chain". Mine seemed to happen mostly around 35-45 mph. Although it did not seem to mechanically effect the vehicle, it was extremely annoying. Even passengers noticed the noise. To make a long story short, I had the Pilot back to the dealer several times for this issue (as well as a few others), and they did not help me out. Sadly, I traded in the Pilot with about 3500 miles on it. Take it back and document, document, document. Ask to have a service tech drive with you, then ask to drive SEVERAL new ones on their lot to see if they do the same thing. Good luck with you issues.

#5 ·
Really a bummer reading all the vcm vibration. My 2011 does it. Honda needs to update a fix it orhave a class action. Noise vibration and harshness is one thing but this can be an annoyance that owners should not have to deal with this issue. I just want a smooth ride. How did this leave the testing folks without being noticed?

#9 ·
2011 Touring here, hate the Shutter/Vibe and dragging chain sound but do get better gas mileage. Just got 22.5 on a tank, and on the 'B' odometer mode, I have 5500 miles and it reads 21.2, so you must be getting on it, or it's sitting at idle for too long. I do live in SC so it's quite flat and I'm easy on the throttle.

#14 · (Edited)
I bought my 2012 Pilot in October 2012 and I am having the same engine VCM vibration since then. When a specific speed is maintained (with/without cruise control) and the vibration continues until you accelerate or reduce speed or the VCM disengage. I have been to the dealer several times and the technicians agree there is something wrong but they cannot fix it because the excuse is waiting for update from Honda. I arranged for the District service and parts manager to drive the car. He did this week. As you might have guessed he said that is normal. Normal to me is feeling a slight "something" but not a prolonged vibration. It is very annoying and they are masking the problem so they don't issue a recall.

#15 ·
Did you test drive three other new Pilots on the lot for comparison with the DPSM? That is Honda's usual test for whether it is a characteristic of the vehicle. If the three new ones do not exhibit the same issue, then you have a reasonable complaint that they need to address.

#16 ·
All the technicians that drove my car agreed something is definitely wrong, they replaced the torque convertor, but that did not help. Basically, they can’t fix it and waiting for update from Honda. There is no update according to the District Manager! It's a software issue and I asked them to turn it off but they can't do that either. Yesterday they offered me a "Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract" but have not agreed to it yet. Not fair for the others having trouble and something has to be done. This is crazy! I am thinking of reaching out to the Consumer Protection Agency, BBB or maybe as far as a local TV network investigative reporter.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

#22 ·
If all this is documented, and there is text stating multiple failed attempts to fix the problem, you have a strong lemon law case. Press the issue with Honda, and if they do not respond, seek an attorney.

But you must have clear documentation of 3 attempts to fix the same issue, and proof it was not resolved.

#17 ·
2012 Pilot VCM Vibration/Drone

Greetings,
I'm a long term Honda owner but a new member of this forum.
I must vent...
I purchased a 2012 4WD Pilot Touring and am very disatisfied.
At highway speeds, say 60-70mph, the VCM creates a low frequency, resonating vibration. The incessant drone makes highway driving very unpleasant, maddening actually.

Dealer has replaced rear and front active engine mounts on two separate visits to no avail. All other systems "test good" in accordance with Honda Tech Line. Their answer: this is a normal operating characteristic". My reply "YGBSM?!" I paid $40K for a Touring vehicle that is unpleasant to drive while Touring.
I did engage Honda of America and have an active case on file. Unfortunately, my assigned case manager can't be bothered to take calls or return messages. I'm currently trying to contact my DPSM. I guess my next step involves a lawyer.

Has anyone else been bothered by this allegedly "normal operating characteristic"? What luck did you have getting it fixed?

Cheers,
Paul
<!-- / message -->

#18 ·
Greetings,
I'm a long term Honda owner but a new member of this forum.
I must vent...
I purchased a 2012 4WD Pilot Touring and am very disatisfied.
At highway speeds, say 60-70mph, the VCM creates a low frequency, resonating vibration. The incessant drone makes highway driving very unpleasant, maddening actually.

Dealer has replaced rear and front active engine mounts on two separate visits to no avail. All other systems "test good" in accordance with Honda Tech Line. Their answer: this is a normal operating characteristic". My reply "YGBSM?!" I paid $40K for a Touring vehicle that is unpleasant to drive while Touring.
I did engage Honda of America and have an active case on file. Unfortunately, my assigned case manager can't be bothered to take calls or return messages. I'm currently trying to contact my DPSM. I guess my next step involves a lawyer.

Has anyone else been bothered by this allegedly "normal operating characteristic"? What luck did you have getting it fixed?

Cheers,
Paul
<!-- / message -->
Was the standard test for defining a "normal characteristic of the vehicle" done? That is to drive 2 or 3 other Pilots on the lot to see if they exhibit the same characterisitic. If they don't, then it is not usually declared a characterisitic of the vehicle. Our 2013 EX-L exhibits no VCM related vibration at all.

Honda's customer service center is a call center that looks to the DPSM for a final decision. As you are doing, you need to have the service manager make an appt with the DPSM, the next time the DPSM is scheduled to be in. THE DPSM has the final say.

#20 ·
Glad to have found these threads.

We are buying an EX-L and test drove 1 for about an hour under all kinds of conditions - No shudder.

Got home and remembered that we hadn't brought the EX-L home to see how hard it would be to get into garage opening, so I drove to dealership and got another one - shuddered all the way home and all the way back, noticable from both front seats. I mentioned it to salesman and he blamed it on cold or tire inflation.

Needless to say, the Pilot I buy will be one I have driven extensively.

#23 ·
2013 Pilot Touring Shutter problem

My Honda fans, I too have bought a Honda Pilot Touring w/Res. Top of the line SUV. This SUV has many problems going on here. The constant shifting, changing of cylinders, dampening is the cause of this vibration. Dealership and Honda claim this is normal operation. But yet if enough owners log enough complaints they will react. Interesting tactic on a well none present admitted problem. The variable vibrations in the front and through the driveshaft and rear end makes me feel safe. I have no other option but to absorb this 45k dollar mistake and dump this manufacture defect. Does anyone make a quality SUV anymore.........
Regards - J50 :28:

#25 · (Edited)
I wonder if this is more noticeable in the 4WD models. Is there a pattern where the 4WD exhibit the most vibration? Just curious how some can see "no" vibration and others do. Are there 2WD owners out there with the ECO/VCM vibration??

I test drove a 2wd and it did not have any ECO vibrations, but the 4wd I ended up purchasing does now that I am off the lot - hmmm.

#26 ·
Took my 2012 EX-L to the dealer for numerous issues one being the VCM shudder/vibration.
At 45-55 mph it can get pretty rough. I think this is more related to the transmission shift (lock-up) strategy than the VCM by itself. Both happening at the same time...On the other hand, the vibration at 65-75 mph seems to be the VCM.

They said they had an update to the computer and that fixed it. We'll see.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.