Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem

We purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L on May 28/2012. This vehicle was brand new, with less than 200 kilometers at time of purchase.
Within the first few months of driving vehicle, we could notice, by both feel and sound, a shudder coming from vehicle, especially at the time of ECO light coming on, and compounded if the driver coincided releasing their foot from the accelerator at the same time as the ECO light illuminating.

As I have driven many vehicles in my life, this is not the first time I had experienced a shudder at the time of an automatic transmission gear change. I assumed that there was no serious issue, and never pursued any action regarding the problem.<O:p</O:p
By the time the vehicle was 18 months old, and we had put on over 37 000 kilometers, the shudder had become worse. Also, we began to notice a vibration that occurred while cruising at constant speeds. We booked vehicle in for a service in December of 2013.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
The following is quoted directly from repair invoice:<O:p</O:p
“Test drive vehicle to identify / analyse (sic) vibrations reported by customer. I noted there is a vibration that starts at 50kmph and increases only slightly as speed increases. Lift on hoist for inspection. I noted that the driveshaft seems to have more wobble than expected. Removal of driveshaft revealed that both the u-joints did not have smooth operation – rear even worse. Remove from hoist and test drive without driveshaft installed. The vibration from 50-80kmph is no longer there. Over 80kmph, a vibration was noted which felt like a tire vibration as it increased over 100kmph. Front tires are at 3/32 and rear are at 7/32. Tire vibration likely from normal wear and tear with little life left on the front tires. I also noted some vibration when braking that would be both front and rear. Driveshaft replacement should repair concern related to abnormal vehicle vibration. Tires recommended for replacement and balance. Resurfacing brake rotors would repair the vibration when braking.”

<O:p</O:pWork completed:<O:p</O:p
Rotate and balance tires.<O:p</O:p
Replace drive shaft. (propeller shaft)<O:p</O:p

­­­­<O:p</O:p
On Jan 30, 2014 we drove the Pilot to Shelby, Montana. The vehicle had 40 000 kilometers when we left. This was my first time driving the vehicle on the highway since the work was done last month. What I experienced on this trip is the reason for this complaint. The vibrations I felt were so concerning, I was literally worried about our vehicle completing the trip. The steering wheel literally vibrated. It felt like I was driving on a graveled road when I was on a perfectly smooth highway.<O:p</O:p
The vibration only occurs when engine is under a constant throttle to maintain a speed. It is no longer there when accelerating, or when coasting. (This eliminates tires as a concern) It occurred from speeds of 30 km/hr up to speeds of 130 km/hr. It becomes stronger at higher speeds.<O:p</O:p
Most concerning is this: if the problem continues to worsen as it has over the last month or so, the vehicle would no longer be drivable in the near future. I am not saying this for effect.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update on previous post

Here is the repair order detail of dealership work done. Numbers and names omitted;

This work done to diagnose for vibration at 30 kph +.

"Story ##### Test drive with customer (30 kms) to identify customer concern. Called a vibration, although it is not really felt, more heard. (sounds like rear of vehicle.) When it begins, it sounds like bad rear tires or rougher road on rear tires. It happens mostly when on flat, level surface and cruising. Happens with or without cruise control. Acceleration of deceleration makes it stop. It only starts after being at steady speed for usually 10 seconds or so. Traction control on or off does not change it. Engine RPM changes it (disengage overdrive) If highway is slightly rolling, the noise stops on uphill but starts again on slight downhill. Called tech line - File 354####. Extremely long wait time! Proceed with the following: Make sure PCM is updated to latest software & crank learn completed. Do 1G reset (NVH school) - Loosen all suspension bushings on 1 corner, jounce & retighten. Road force balance all tires - test drive for 20 minutes before balance. Follow noise flowchart on tablet. Test Drive with HDS - check for VCM mode - if noise is heard during the VCM mode, it is a characteristic of the vehicle - try to reduce the noise by the above items.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
continue diagnosis

Story ##### completed 1g suspension reset, performed four wheel alignment and test drove with (name) original tech to hear the noise on test drive techs have noted the noise is reduced significantly, this is the best we can do to make the vehicle quiet.
(end)
<END>

Only one issue I have with this..... it's still there. No change at all. Also, it most definitely can be felt, not just heard!

To be continued....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the shutter on my 2012 EXL 4WD when it was winter cold -30C. It's significant enough to drive anyone crazy. 30 - 80 KPH was the prime speed. Under power it was less noticable. My dealer service advisor did not seem to know anything about the history of the VCM shutter ? They did a test drive and found nothing !

·
Registered
6 Posts
They got an error off the codes with the fuel mixture. Updated the software (which they should be doing for everyone !) This improved the symptoms but the outside temp was also not as cold ( finally :29:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Honda guy also ordered all new fuel injectors and changed them out 2 weeks later. I have not noticed the vibration since the injector service. But it is now summer! I will update the shutter-vibration saga next winter when the cold returns ! fingers are crossed for a good outcome. We love the Vehicle other than the shutter which makes me really angry:28:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 New Pilot

VCM still a issue. Vibration noticeable 60 mph and up. Dealer said it was (VCM operation). Glad I bought a life time warranty....

One hour trips or longer is when you really start to notice this....irritating!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just returned from the dealer with my first complaint about my VCM problem. I have 10,000 mile on my 2013 and want to have these service calls documented for possible legal issues. Serviceman gave me to company line of this vibration being normal.

Rollie

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is the repair order detail of dealership work done. Numbers and names omitted;

This work done to diagnose for vibration at 30 kph +.

"Story ##### Test drive with customer (30 kms) to identify customer concern. Called a vibration, although it is not really felt, more heard. (sounds like rear of vehicle.) When it begins, it sounds like bad rear tires or rougher road on rear tires. It happens mostly when on flat, level surface and cruising. Happens with or without cruise control. Acceleration of deceleration makes it stop. It only starts after being at steady speed for usually 10 seconds or so. Traction control on or off does not change it. Engine RPM changes it (disengage overdrive) If highway is slightly rolling, the noise stops on uphill but starts again on slight downhill. Called tech line - File 354####. Extremely long wait time! Proceed with the following: Make sure PCM is updated to latest software & crank learn completed. Do 1G reset (NVH school) - Loosen all suspension bushings on 1 corner, jounce & retighten. Road force balance all tires - test drive for 20 minutes before balance. Follow noise flowchart on tablet. Test Drive with HDS - check for VCM mode - if noise is heard during the VCM mode, it is a characteristic of the vehicle - try to reduce the noise by the above items.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
continue diagnosis

Story ##### completed 1g suspension reset, performed four wheel alignment and test drove with (name) original tech to hear the noise on test drive techs have noted the noise is reduced significantly, this is the best we can do to make the vehicle quiet.
(end)
<END>

Only one issue I have with this..... it's still there. No change at all. Also, it most definitely can be felt, not just heard!

To be continued....
There is a new Service Bulletin out for your exact issue:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/70905-vcm-tsb-jan-2015-pcm-update-driveshaft-replacement.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
The VCM system is designed to shut down 2 or 3 cylinders in the engine in order to give you better gas mileage. When you think of 4 cylinder cars, they have more vibration, just like 6 cylinders have more vibration than 8 cylinders. It is not a flaw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The VCM system is designed to shut down 2 or 3 cylinders in the engine in order to give you better gas mileage. When you think of 4 cylinder cars, they have more vibration, just like 6 cylinders have more vibration than 8 cylinders. It is not a flaw.
It is a flaw and Honda of America says that they have a fix coming out in the next couple months. I've had a case opened and closed and now I'm waiting for the fix. It's supposed to be a software and a mechanical change. I received a very detailed story from the mechanic about how the Tsunami in Japan wiped out the PCM factory and so Honda needed to source their PCM's from another company...that's where the problem comes in. There are 2 sources of the vibration one coming from the software and one that comes when the temperature dips below freezing. Here in MN that's a good portion of the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vcm problem solved!

Hello everyone. First time poster here just wanted to give everyone some good news. Just picked up my 2013 pilot from the dealer today after being promised a fix to my ongoing vcm shuddering problem. A freshly released factory bulletin called for a new driveshaft (which I was skeptical about), and a software update. Have only driven 15km or so but what a difference. This is the car that I thought I was buying! Will update this thread as I drive it more but as of right now I am very, very pleased. Hopefully everyone here will soon have theirs fixed too.

Cheers

Ken

61 - 72 of 72 Posts