Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Talked to a Honda mechanic and he was real short about the VCM. Just mentioned oil and sparkplug issues. Makes you wonder about long term problems.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
All the technicians that drove my car agreed something is definitely wrong, they replaced the torque convertor, but that did not help. Basically, they can’t fix it and waiting for update from Honda. There is no update according to the District Manager! It's a software issue and I asked them to turn it off but they can't do that either. Yesterday they offered me a "Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract" but have not agreed to it yet. Not fair for the others having trouble and something has to be done. This is crazy! I am thinking of reaching out to the Consumer Protection Agency, BBB or maybe as far as a local TV network investigative reporter.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
If all this is documented, and there is text stating multiple failed attempts to fix the problem, you have a strong lemon law case. Press the issue with Honda, and if they do not respond, seek an attorney.

But you must have clear documentation of 3 attempts to fix the same issue, and proof it was not resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2013 Pilot Touring Shutter problem

My Honda fans, I too have bought a Honda Pilot Touring w/Res. Top of the line SUV. This SUV has many problems going on here. The constant shifting, changing of cylinders, dampening is the cause of this vibration. Dealership and Honda claim this is normal operation. But yet if enough owners log enough complaints they will react. Interesting tactic on a well none present admitted problem. The variable vibrations in the front and through the driveshaft and rear end makes me feel safe. I have no other option but to absorb this 45k dollar mistake and dump this manufacture defect. Does anyone make a quality SUV anymore.........
Regards - J50 :28:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if this is more noticeable in the 4WD models. Is there a pattern where the 4WD exhibit the most vibration? Just curious how some can see "no" vibration and others do. Are there 2WD owners out there with the ECO/VCM vibration??

I test drove a 2wd and it did not have any ECO vibrations, but the 4wd I ended up purchasing does now that I am off the lot - hmmm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Took my 2012 EX-L to the dealer for numerous issues one being the VCM shudder/vibration.
At 45-55 mph it can get pretty rough. I think this is more related to the transmission shift (lock-up) strategy than the VCM by itself. Both happening at the same time...On the other hand, the vibration at 65-75 mph seems to be the VCM.

They said they had an update to the computer and that fixed it. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
I just purchased a 2013 Pilot EX and I am experiencing the shuddering between about 38mph to about 50 or so. The service guy at my dealership said it was connected to the ECO and there is nothing they can do about it.
It is very annoying and I will keep taking it back and start documenting the visits. NY has a lemon law and I will use it if it is not remedied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I had finally agreed that this was the car we were saving towards after so much research. Reading about the VCM and oil consumption problems is really concerning. Are they enough to abandon the thought of buying a 2013 Pilot Touring FWD as we had hoped. Is it widespread and annoys everyone who owns one? Your time and experience is very much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It's making me look closer at Toyota. I know I don't want a Nissan because of the CVT transmission
Our Toyota Sienna AWD Minivan was the only vehicle I ever initiated Lemon Law procedings on...........what a nightmare vehicle experience....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My wife and I had finally agreed that this was the car we were saving towards after so much research. Reading about the VCM and oil consumption problems is really concerning. Are they enough to abandon the thought of buying a 2013 Pilot Touring FWD as we had hoped. Is it widespread and annoys everyone who owns one? Your time and experience is very much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Jim
Honda sells 100K+ Honda Pilots a year and has had VCM in the Pilot since 2006. Given that info, it seems that there are a very small percentage of owners here reporting the issue. We test drove 4 different Pilots before buying our 2013 and none had noticeable VCM vibrations. Ours travels 80 hwy miles every week day (which is where VCM kicks in the most). We have burned no oil and feel no vibrations.

That is not saying that the issue does not exist for those owners reporting it. Just make sure you take the vehicle you want to purchase for an extended test drive. Most dealers will let you take it for a day. Some even let you keep it over night.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was concerned about the oil consumption problem when I was ready to purchase my 2012. But the concern was lessened after seeing that Honda changed the piston rings starting with the 2012 and getting positive feedback from others on this forum. After purchase, I monitored the oil level closely for the 1st 15K miles and have had no issues. I also have had oil analysis done (Blackstone lab) on the used oil at each change and nothing out of the ordinary was found. I've dialed in my oil change interval to about 8k miles based on data in the oil change analysis.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I must admit that when we got the VCM shudder, I too was done with Honda. My TSX has been one thing after another and other gremlins haven't shown their heads yet, namely the A/C compressor grenade. But after the last visit to our local Honda, they completely changed my mind about keeping the Pilot. I won't buy another Honda because I find their styling hideous, but I feel much more confident in them backing their products now... others will likely disagree.

Fact is, they still make a product that is competitively priced with the market and granted no where near bleeding edge on the technology scale, but good enough. With 80k miles, we're still pulling 24.2mpg on the highway loaded down in a lunch box of an SUV.

I will still be gun-shy of the truck's next issue, but if we get another 80k out of it like we have thus far, it was totally worth it IMO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you folks complaining about VCM shudder ought to go buy a GM, Ford or Chrysler and see what real frustration is all about!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts