Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
I think you do need to purchase the adapter.

I think you need to purchase the adapter. I already had a 4 pin adapter and the opening of the trailer harness socket looks to need an adapter for whatever number of pins you are planning to utilize.

I am a newbie as well and this site is really helpful. Thanks everyone for contributing. I am still deciding if going with the Honda harness (like the one sold in amazon) or aftermarket (etrailer), but in the meantime I'd like to know if the OEM harness come with a 7 pin connector or do I have to plan to purchase this additionally?

Thanks, Mario

· Registered
58 Posts
I am a newbie. We just bought a 2013 Pilot. Does anybody know if the trailer wiring installation instructions are different from the 2012?

I have had both the 2011 and now a 2013. The 2011 came with the two rear fuse panels in the side panels in place as standard equipment. The wiring kit you added to it was the rear harness for the plug and the harness for the rear control box. Then you added the relays and fuses. Unlike the 2013 where the boxes are part of the kit.

ETrailers carries the kits. I ordered the OEM just because it came with a nice mounting bracket for the seven-pin plug.

The only real issue I had was getting the upper screw for the rear control box I have big hands and access was very tight, other than that it is a piece of cake.

Like others have stated, no need to remove seats, etc. I would suggest you install the fuses in the rear fuse box before installing it.

· Registered
58 Posts
I am a newbie as well and this site is really helpful. Thanks everyone for contributing. I am still deciding if going with the Honda harness (like the one sold in amazon) or aftermarket (etrailer), but in the meantime I'd like to know if the OEM harness come with a 7 pin connector or do I have to plan to purchase this additionally?

Thanks, Mario
The seven-pin plug is not included. If you purchase the after market you will also need to buy the mounting bracket for the receptacle.

· Registered
1,267 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Video that shows clip and cap removal under the vehicle

Thanks to all for the insights in this install.

As luck would have it, I found this website- and this thread- BEFORE we bought our 2014 Pilot. The info gave me confidence in buying the harness and installing it myself.

The etrailer video in the link below:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-trailer-wiring-2011-honda-pilot-56097.aspx

is actually pretty helpful.

In particular while doing the wiring UNDER the car, it shows how to pop the harness off the clip holding it to the frame.

Thanks to the video, this was downright easy.

It also shows how to remove the protective cap from the vehicle harness.

For me, this was the hardest part of the install- had to really struggle to get it off.

But, I'm now basically done the install, and it's worked well.

So, once again, thanks to all!

· Registered
2010 Pilot 4WD EX-L
4 Posts
Thanks Shikkapow and others on this thread for all the detailed instructions. I ordered the harness from Majestic Honda, printed the PDF instructions from the forum and had the wiring connected and functional in 30 minutes. Saved me $100 over what my local dealer quoted for part and installation.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to everyone's tips, photos & videos. This was a great project for my daughter (13) and I. Took us a little while but we got it. We only had problems with the top screw on the inside and the 10 pin connector underneath. Thankfully my daughter is good at following directions. I would have broken something for sure.

· Registered
506 Posts
I didn't even look to see if there was a DIY on this. I took alot of pictures and was going to make a write up but this one pretty much covers it.

With one exception, if you don't buy the OEM trailer wiring harness the aftermarket one from etrailer will not fit exactly into the outlined cut area in the bumper housing. The actual seven pin connector will be recessed on a mounting bracket sold separately. In fact you can find this exact kit cheaper on Ebay and the mounting bracket cheaper as well.
Here is who I got my kit from; USPARTSOUTLET This was the listing: Tow Ready 118265 Replacement Tow Package Wiring Harness | eBay

Total for the wiring kit was $74.28

and for the mounting bracket I bought it from ECOMINETEGRATE and the listing: Pollak 12 711U Right Angle Mounting Bracket for 7 Way Trailer Connector | eBay

Total for the bracket was $3.59. Pretty straight forward instal.

Awesome deal.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Does anyone know if this has to be done for a 2009 Pilot Touring?
The 2009 Touring models were factory equipped with the 7 wire plug and all wiring installed. The electric brake wiring pigtail and fuses were not pre installed.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot. I am using it to pull a travel trailer. The dealership installed the wiring harness and I had Uhaul install the break controller for the trailer. UHaul told me that the harness was not set to charge the trailer battery when traveling and that the dealership needed to install a relay or something like that. I went back to the dealership and they said they didn't know anything about it and couldn't do it. I went back to uhaul and they were dismayed. They said this happens frequently and that all the dealer has to do is install the proper relay in the wiring harness. Does anyone have any information about what I should do? Thanks, Larry

· Registered
32 Posts
My towing harness install was pretty easy. We purchased a used 2012 Pilot and, before picking it up from the dealer, I ordered a wiring kit from eTrailer.

When we got home in the "new" SUV, I discovered that it already had the wiring installed. I wiped some dirt on my hands and told my wife that I was done installing the wiring. I am not sure what excuse I will make when the package from eTrailer arrives tomorrow. :)

-- Roger

· Registered
6 Posts
Ordered a boatload of parts today and hoping to do this install next Monday if they all get here in time... Bought a Coachmen Clipper Ultra-Lite 17BH yesterday that will be ready for pickup Tuesday and booked a family camp out for Memorial Day Weekend down the road a piece.

I was extremely nervous until I found this thread and while I am cutting everything very close I feel a lot more calm. One thing I'm wondering... I ordered the 118265 part that many have referred to and a few posts back someone said that that kit alone give's no mounting bracket. Can anyone confirm this? I'd hate to be scrambling at the last minute for a way to secure this... It seems like the walk-thrus and videos I've seen it's just screwed through the rear bumper after the hole is cut... or do I need the Pollak 12-711U that was mentioned?

Thanks,
kkOH

addendum: I have a 2013 4WD EX if that matters.

· Registered
6 Posts
My god was that easy! Biggest (an still not rectified) problem is getting the metal mounting plate positioned and tapped into the actual bumper. I just set it up without the mounting plate to go pickup the new trailer but will work something out tonight hopefully for the more permanent solution.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.