Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2012 EX-L with 4WD assuming that the "tow ready 4WD" meant that you plugged in a 7 blade connector in the back and wired a brake controller up front and you were done. I found that Honda has a 34 step process to install the wiring harness and its a huge endeavor.
however from this link:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-pilot/30682-trailer-wiring-harness.html
wahlct Figured out a better way to get it installed without ripping out the back seat :rolleyes:
its about a 2 beer job.

the back view of the cargo area with the two cubby holes where a majority of the work is done:

inside the aft cubby hole is another cubby hole

inside of there:

closeup:

The holes on the left side of the insulation is where the control module bolts to. the bolts are 10mm socket, I had a little trouble with a 3/8 drive socket on the top bolt, but a 1/4" socket drive worked perfect. the rectangle on the right is where the wire clip snaps into the frame.

installed: (refer back to this picture later, because the cable at the bottom comes off the relay box)

the kit has one part called the control unit harness. look in the relay box, install the two relays, snap the cover on, and then move to the little cubby hole forward of the one you have been working with. Basically there is nothing in there except a dead ended plug and a seat belt looking tab.

The control unit harness provided in the kit has two connectors on the harness. connect the plug with the one that matches the socket in this hole, and thread the smaller cable behind the plastic column between the cubby holes then slide the relay box over the tab, and it snaps into place:

you already bolted the module to the frame, so just plug in the loose end of the new cable you threaded through between the cubbies to the module you installed earlier, press the wire clip into the hole in the body and add a zip tie to bundle it all together with the yellow wires to look like picture #5 above

next you have to take a razor or whatever tool you want to knock out the piece of plastic in the bumper (by far the longest most tedious part of the entire install), and then mount the 7 blade connector to the bumper with the provided socket bracket:

from the front of the bumper:

unclip the dummy plug from the factory harness, plug in the wire from the trailer socket harness:

the picture above is the dummy plug from the factory. it has to come off to install the socket harness. its a bit of a PITA because the release for the dummy plug is on the aft end of the vehicle and you cant see the little clip to try and manipulate it. I took the whole theing down from the frame and got the dummy plug off the harness, and clipped it all back into place. I got lucky the clip didn't break.

pop the hood, install the 30 amp fuse and you are done.

it does help to have the pdf file to assist with identifying the parts and understanding what goes where, but skip all the BS about ripping the seatbelts and side panels out of the vehicle.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/pilot/2012/08l91.pdf

ok maybe it was a 3.5 beer job because the dummy plug got me pretty frustrated.

also, the kit has the adapter for the dashboard plug to install the electric brake controller. I threw it in the glovebox for next weeks entertainment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
trailer harness wiring on 2012

Did the install this am took 20 minutes, the rear plug comes out easy if you release it from the blue frame clip. thanks for the short cut, beats tearing out the insides!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post! Took me 45 minutes only because my neighbor stopped by to ask me what I was working on. Your photos definitely came in handy, along with the printed instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up. I installed the harness this morning using your instructions (without ripping out the entire back section of the cargo area) and it was much easier than I was expecting. It does help, like you said, to hold off on clipping the relay box to the metal tab in the "AUX FUSE" box until after you've connected the control unit harness to the body harness. The Honda instructions will have you clip the box to the tab first. This will basically block your access through the "AUX FUSE" box and will make it difficult to connect the two harnesses. Thanks very much again...helped save around $90 for dealer installation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did the adapter for the dashboard plug install for electric brake controller get finished? Is it in another thread? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

First post. I felt compelled to contribute since you've all helped me out as a forum stalker..

I have a new '12 Pilot. I bought the harness kit from etrailer for 107. It had pretty simple instructions so I was a bit nervous ordering.

Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2012 Honda Pilot - Tow Ready 118265

Anyway, the kit arrived. I only needed to;
1. Go into the accessory fuse door. Clip in the cable, snap in 2 fuses and mount black box.
2. Mount 7-way and plug 2 ends of the cable under the bumper as shown above. Add too many tie-wraps.
3. Plug in 30a fuse in engine compartment fuse box.

I plugged in a tester, everything indicated working. Total time, 15 minutes, consumed one Mikes and saved $267. The longest step was cutting out the 7way mount. I chose to cut out a smaller (roundish) hole and use 4 screws to attach the plug.

Happy towing!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wish I'd have seen this BEFORE I let the dealer rape me on the install.

Sigh - live and learn...

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

First post. I felt compelled to contribute since you've all helped me out as a forum stalker..

I have a new '12 Pilot. I bought the harness kit from etrailer for 107. It had pretty simple instructions so I was a bit nervous ordering.

Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2012 Honda Pilot - Tow Ready 118265

Anyway, the kit arrived. I only needed to;
1. Go into the accessory fuse door. Clip in the cable, snap in 2 fuses and mount black box.
2. Mount 7-way and plug 2 ends of the cable under the bumper as shown above. Add too many tie-wraps.
3. Plug in 30a fuse in engine compartment fuse box.

I plugged in a tester, everything indicated working. Total time, 15 minutes, consumed one Mikes and saved $267. The longest step was cutting out the 7way mount. I chose to cut out a smaller (roundish) hole and use 4 screws to attach the plug.

Happy towing!
How did you mount the socket? There is no bracket comes with the Tow Ready 118265.
Mounting the socket to the plastic creates very weak construction, very easy to brake while plugging unplugging the connector.
I called Tow Ready to get an advice on the bracket, but the rep, advised to change the part to 118558. Don't know why???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for sharing this- pretty funny, I had the dealer install this on the day I picked up the car, took him/her 5 hours and apparently lots of frustration. They destroyed some trim pieces below the third seat... amazing that with a little thought (maybe more than a little) the harness can be installed a lot more easily. Anyway, got the brake controller installed and we're hitting the road!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great Pictures...What a nice thing to do for everyone.

My wife came out of the house in horror three days after we bought our 2012, to see me with 1/2 the back of the vehicle torn apart. Whatta gonna do.
It's an easy job and Honda is incredible how they give such excellent instructions and parts to complete a job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How did you mount the socket? There is no bracket comes with the Tow Ready 118265.
Mounting the socket to the plastic creates very weak construction, very easy to brake while plugging unplugging the connector.
I called Tow Ready to get an advice on the bracket, but the rep, advised to change the part to 118558. Don't know why???
I used the 118558 harness and it was plug and play, it however is the 4 way flat plug instead of the 7 way that comes from the factory. I tow a 18 ft. Sea Ray and the trailer I have has the 4 way set up. I coiled the wiring behind the bumper cover so it is not seen when not in use.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts