Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little embarrassed here. Did the 105k timing belt change. Had everything lined up but had trouble getting the belt on. I thought it would be a great idea to move the cams to roll the belt on. Terrible idea. Belt slipped off and the bottom cam did a 1/2 turn while the top 2 remained in line. I moved the bottom cam CCW (eesh), but could get the cams lined up. Did I just ruin my engine? If not should I bring it to a shop and have a pro finish the job?

·
Registered
241 Posts
You might be ok. I would line it up correctly and do a compression test to be sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick Ryan

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You might be ok. I would line it up correctly and do a compression test to be sure.
^^ Do this ^^ Rotate the cams to get the belt on correctly. You won't be able to do a compression test until it's all buttoned up again anyway. Don't Rotate The Crankshaft until the belt is indexed correctly. You generally don't have a risk of bending valves while the crank is stationary. It's valve spring and lifter pressure trying to rotate the cam, alone not generally enough to bend any valves.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
As others have mentioned, you need to get everything lined back up, the belt on and rotate by hand with the plugs out (just so you aren't fighting compression. Once you know you've had 2 full revolutions of the crankshaft with no contact you at least know you won't have interference issues if you are still a tooth or two off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much......I did rotate the crankshaft with the belt off about a 1/2 a turn. I hit resistance, more than what I thought would be considered compression and stopped. Are you saying I probably didnt bend a valve unless I really torqued it? Would I have heard a metal on metal noise?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts