Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice and I'll try to be brief. Planning on replacing the timing belt on a 2012 with 103K miles.

1) I am going to buy the Aisin kit (includes Water Pump, Timing Belt, Tensioner, Pulleys, Seal) from Amazon (because of my Amazon credit card reward points). Some guy said not to buy Amazon parts. I don't understand why not, if it's the same part number as the Aisin website. Have you heard any such mumblings?

2) Should I replace the drive/serpentine belt tensioner? I am going to replace the drive belt, but the cheapest mid-grade tensioner is around $60. Is it something that you guys would replace while you're at it? If so, what brand would you use for belt and tensioner?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice and I'll try to be brief. Planning on replacing the timing belt on a 2012 with 103K miles.

1) I am going to buy the Aisin kit (includes Water Pump, Timing Belt, Tensioner, Pulleys, Seal) from Amazon (because of my Amazon credit card reward points). Some guy said not to buy Amazon parts. I don't understand why not, if it's the same part number as the Aisin website. Have you heard any such mumblings?

2) Should I replace the drive/serpentine belt tensioner? I am going to replace the drive belt, but the cheapest mid-grade tensioner is around $60. Is it something that you guys would replace while you're at it? If so, what brand would you use for belt and tensioner?

Thanks in advance!!!
Only buy from the Aisin Store on Amazon. Someone else could recommend tensioner

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,306 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!!!
It depends on how you treat maintenance and how long you expect to keep the vehicle. For me, I keep vehicles for 10 years and am proactive with my maintenance so yes, I would change the serpentine belt and the tensioner a well. One less thing to worry about in the future and I hate working on the same area more than necessary, if say the tensioner should fail in the near future.

With that said, If I was only going to keep the vehicle a short time, the I would probably skip the tensioner but let the prospective buyer know that while the serpentine belt was changed on some given date, the tensioner was working fine and it was not changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1- If you like to roll the dices and gamble....go with the Aisin timing belt kit from Amazon or others from Ebay. I'd much rather not take my chances and with my luck, I'm sticking with the Aisin kit from Rockauto and I have. So far... no horror story with my belt snapping and all chewed up. For others...they took the gamble and weren't too lucky.

2- Shouldn't have to change the drive belt tensioner, they usually last for a long time.The wife's ody has close to 300K on the clock and original tensioner, but has gone through quite a few OE drive belts and two timing belts so far. Her Pilot has original drive belt tensioner at 145K miles and one timing belt change along with water pump, tensioner and both cam and crank seals.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The few dollars extra you may save using your Amazon card, when there is a HIGH likelihood you will get counterfeits, is not worth the risk.
Just order from RockAuto, you will be getting the real deal. Aisin TKH-002 kit, if you want the serpentine tensioner kit either Gates or Dayco for that, if just getting the belt I'd get the Bando.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It is my understanding that the problem with buying from Amazon really comes when you buy Fulfilled my Amazon items. Apparently, items from legitimate sellers and counterfeit sellers are commingled together in the Amazon inventory. So, if Amazon fulfills the order you really don't know whose inventory your are getting. I use to buy parts from Amazon but don't anymore.

When I do a timing belt I do the belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, coolant, upper and lower radiator hose (if 10 years old), plugs, PCV valve. I don't do the drive belt tensioner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thank you so much for all your replies. I truly appreciate it. I'm very confused about why there is a chance for counterfeit product from Amazon, but not from Rock Auto. The Amazon Aisin belt is $2 different from Rock Auto. I could understand the hesitation if there was a > 20% difference. I have to believe it's the same product. I'm going to "roll the dice" and just get it from Amazon. I will let you guys know how it ends up. Last time I changed a timing belt (on my 2002 Civic), the belt looked practically brand new after 100k miles. I wish Honda would start using chains. This job is a PITA.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
Guys, thank you so much for all your replies. I truly appreciate it. I'm very confused about why there is a chance for counterfeit product from Amazon, but not from Rock Auto. The Amazon Aisin belt is $2 different from Rock Auto. I could understand the hesitation if there was a > 20% difference. I have to believe it's the same product. I'm going to "roll the dice" and just get it from Amazon. I will let you guys know how it ends up. Last time I changed a timing belt (on my 2002 Civic), the belt looked practically brand new after 100k miles. I wish Honda would start using chains. This job is a PITA.
Good luck with that, I would only consider the Aisin timing belt kit if it comes from here.

AISIN

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
It is my understanding that the problem with buying from Amazon really comes when you buy Fulfilled my Amazon items. Apparently, items from legitimate sellers and counterfeit sellers are commingled together in the Amazon inventory. So, if Amazon fulfills the order you really don't know whose inventory your are getting. I use to buy parts from Amazon but don't anymore.

When I do a timing belt I do the belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt, coolant, upper and lower radiator hose (if 10 years old), plugs, PCV valve. I don't do the drive belt tensioner.
You don't know what you are getting from the 3rd party sellers either. There are so many counterfeit sellers that businesses like Nike will no longer sell on Amazon. If Amazon fulfills the order they are just sending you what you ordered from who you ordered. Amazon just holds the items in their warehouse(s) and packs and ships them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good Luck........Begin the 5000 mile countdown until you need a new engine.

·
Registered
2014 Pilot EXL 4wd 88k, 2012 Odyssey EXL 144k
58 Posts
I just did my 14 pilot with the aisin kit from rock auto.
But in August of 2019 I bought the exact aisin kit from "Aisin store" from your link when I did the timing belt on my 2012 Odyssey.
Font Auto part Circle Screenshot Bicycle part

I think the issue with Amazon is ordering smaller stuff like NGK spark plugs from 3rd party sellers , much easier to fake.

I have ordered a BANDO belt off Amazon and recieved a "BANBEN" even though pictures and description were BANDO.

I wouldn't do the serpentine tensioner. It is not buried and can be changed with minimal time and parts removed.

Font Material property Wood Circle Automotive tire

Publication Font Advertising Electric blue Signage

Light Automotive tire Camera lens Font Tableware

I got my money back from Amazon and also called BANDO who thanked me for the heads up and sent me a free genuine belt ...and hat🤣

·
Registered
49 Posts
What people have to recognize is there is a difference between the fake Genuine Honda kits on Amazon and the Aisin kits on Amazon.

This is what the kit that a bunch of people fall for looks like:
Font Output device Auto part Carton Cable

Nobody wastes their time marketing as a fake Aisin kit, they go straight for the Genuine Honda brand.

When someone mentions getting fake parts on Amazon, 99% of the time they are talking about kits like the one above, not the Aisin kit.

• Helpful
Reactions: brybo86

·
Registered
129 Posts
Honda doesn't sell complete kits! I went through this fiasco after an independent shop used a #$^! Dayco belt and it broke after 15k! caused 6 GRAND in damage! Our 2010 only had 120k on the original engine. Honda parts are sold INDIVIDUALLY. Our PILOT WAS IN THE shop for THREE months because a cheapskate mechanic didn't know what the $%&! he was doing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Luck........Begin the 5000 mile countdown until you need a new engine.
Dude, the guy in the post you linked to clearly stated he bought a no name branded belt. The kit I am getting has lots of good reviews. I don't think I am taking a big risk here. Do you think that Rock Auto would accept liability for a belt snapping? I'm not on here to start or engage in arguments. Most of the people that replied think my purchase will be safe. I'm more scared of screwing up the install than I am of the belt snapping. I'll let everyone know how the car is riding after 5k miles. I plan to install it on Thursday (because we already had our Thanksgiving) and hopefully finishing on Friday.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I think there are enough identifying markings and difference in quality of castings that you should be able to tell by carefully inspecting the parts whether you got genuine or counterfeit parts. I wouldn't suggest buying car parts on Amazon just because I'm not tolerant of the counterfeit risk, but I think you can mitigate it if you really want the credit card rewards.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don’t Honda Dealerships sell these parts?
They sell the parts, but there is no such thing as a Genuine Honda kit. Anything marketing as such is counterfeit. The closest thing there is to a Honda kit is some dealers will sell the individual parts you need all as one bundle, but the price for that will be a lot more than the Aisin kit or the counterfeits, probably closer to $500.

Reactions: Bigbearsfan
1 - 20 of 78 Posts