Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 pilot has 145,000 miles on it. It hit 8 years in July and this week I received news that the engine needs to be rebuilt due to the piston rings causing the engine to misfire. I wish my dealership - who does every service/oil change on my car - had replaced them while it was under warranty when it was in for service, but they didn't.

Has anyone had luck getting Honda to cover this expense 3 months out of warranty? If so, what steps did you take? Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Talk to the dealer about a possible goodwill repair thru Honda. Your extensive service history should help your case.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Unless the trouble code was there at the time you did your oil and stuff while under your warranty period , they will not even bother looking into the issue.

Good luck on this .

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Trouble code? Like low compression? Something sounds a miss to me.
Another reason I do all my own oil changes.

worn rings don't cause a misfire, they cause low compression. That in turn could foul your plugs- which causes a misfire.
I"m not really buying it w/ only 145K? Me thinks a dishonest stealership that charged you for oil changes- did you ever check to see if it was clean days after they day it?

Good luck

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you haven’t disabled Honda’s BS variable cylinder management then this is a somewhat common issue. I’d work with the dealer that did all the maintenance. If Honda won’t help remember this next time you need a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work for a Honda dealership. The reason they didn’t repair your vehicle while it was under warranty is because they can’t do anything without symptoms. You have to have a cylinder misfire due to a fouled plug (P0301-P0304). This issue is common because of the VCM. The 4 cylinders that never shut off have their piston rings destroyed which in turn lowers compression which in turn fouls your spark plug.

It’s almost unbelievable that your dealership didn’t attempt to help you. Goodwill repair through American Honda is a very real thing and the amount they help directly depends on your amount of Honda’s bought new and your dealer loyalty. If you were a customer that did all the recommended maintenance at my dealership I know I could talk to the district rep and get a good chunk covered.

I’d strongly recommend setting an appointment with the service manager and calmly explain you have heard of goodwill assistance and think you would be a perfect example of dealer loyalty. If you keep a cool head I’m willing to bet they help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts