Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2012 Pilot VCM Vibration Solved

60K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  dr bob 
#1 ·
I own a 2012 Pilot EXL Touring with approximately 46K miles. We purchased the vehicle certified pre owned last March and have loved the space and features of the SUV. Over the last couple of months, seemingly as the weather in Chicago has gotten colder, the vehicle started exhibiting a bad shudder and vibration when the VCM would kick on. In the past I had always noticed that I could feel the VCM activate momentarily but after that, there was no vibration. Now I could feel it kick on and it would continue to shudder until driving conditions turned the VCM off. The shudder could be felt through the floor and the center console armrest. The vehicle felt like it had a lean misfire, similar to that of a vehicle that had a stuck EGR valve. I am an ASE certified master technician who owns an auto repair shop, so needless to say I pay close attention to the behavior of my vehicles. I decided to take a look at the vehicle myself in my own shop to make sure that the active engine mount was not broken/damaged which it was not. The vehicle also did not have any codes. Being that the Pilot is under warranty and I do not particularly care to work on my own vehicles, I brought it into my local dealer, Valley Honda. They informed me that they knew exactly what I was talking about and that Honda had just released a new software update (my Pilot had also had the previous update done last summer) in 12/14 that addresses this particular issue. They re-flashed the computer and told me it was fixed. When I checked out of the dealership I read through the technician’s notes as well as the TSB (service bulletin) to see what was done. The technician clearly stated on the RO that he road tested my Pilot after the software update and that it exhibited the NORMAL VCM vibration. I took the vehicle home and immediately realized that it was still not fixed. Although the vibration seemed to improve slightly, it was still unacceptable to me seeing as though when we first purchased the vehicle it did not drive this way. I brought the vehicle back to the dealer and told them that it was still making the vibration. I took the service advisor and a technician for a ride to show them the vibration and both of them immediately felt it and said that my Pilot was not the norm. The next day they did some additional testing and sent some info to Honda techline. After their tests they concluded that the vehicle was operating normally and that there was nothing that they could do as it was a characteristic of the VCM system. I asked the service advisor if they had confirmed that my Pilot had the updated driveshaft design; per TSB update bulletin, if vibration is still present after software update a new driveshaft design is available that needs to be installed to eliminate the issue. Had I not read through the TSB attached to my original invoice I would have never known this. Sure enough, my Pilot did not have the updated driveshaft so they ordered the part and installed it. Since then I have noticed a huge improvement in the drive quality of the vehicle. The vibration can no longer be felt through the arm rest and floor. I can still feel the VCM activate but the shudder is now at an acceptable level to me. The moral of the story is that if I had not known enough to read through the TSB and see that there was an additional step after the software update to replace the driveshaft I would still be having the issue with my Pilot and Honda would be telling me that there was nothing that they could do, which most likely would have resulted in my buying a different vehicle, certainly not another Honda. I don’t normally post on forums like this but felt it was my civil duty as a fellow Pilot owner to share this info so that other Pilot owners with this problem have some ammo when they go into the dealer to have this problem solved. Feel free to message me with any questions.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
THIS!! thank you!! so i just called my dealer and they are telling me this doesn't apply to mine since it is outside of the vin range, i called bull**** on them, and told them I wanted this fixed.
so taking it back tomorrow morning, but not sure if they are going to do anything. Might have to get a regional rep involved.

#7 ·
...bulletin will be revised to include those vehicles.

Excessive Vibration Between 30 and 65 MPH – 2012-2015 Honda Pilot

2012 Honda Pilot 2WD 5FNYF3H..CB029004 and later
2012 Honda Pilot 4WD 5FNYF4H..CB058214 and later
2013-2015 Honda Pilot ALL ALL

NOTE: For 2012 models, two different PCMs, Keihin and Continental, were used. A software update is available for the vehicles equipped with Keihin PCMs, and the software update for the Continental PCMs will be available in mid to late January 2015. Once the software is available, this bulletin will be revised to include those vehicles.

#15 ·
Yes, on mine the driveshaft will deflect\flex by inches just from hand pressure, slide under there and give it a try. Also the center bushing doesn't even come into complete contact with the center bearing. The whole thing looks pretty suspect. I'm betting that some images of this in operation from a Gopro would be interesting.

#16 ·
So I got the PCM upgrade done this morining. After the upgrade, I drove 20 miles highway and about 5 miles city. I can not feel a dam thing! no vibrations at all. Another thing I noticed, I didnt see the ECO light come up even once. Now, is cold this morning, between -5 degrees, I dont know if part the of new code says if it is too cold dont engage VCM?!?

Funny thing is, the technician drove the car after the update and claims he could still feel it, so we ordered the new shaft. I wasnt going to say no, so they will also change that part for me.

I can be happy with the car as is now. I am curious to see what the car will do once ECO mode kicks in again. So far I am happy with the software upgrade.

#18 ·
I had this cold weather vibration on my B/N 2012 4x4 Pilot starting late 2012 (when temp dropped to freezing) but it took several trips to the shop and 25000 km (about a year) for the dealership to figure out the issue. I thought it was an isolated issue because they could not figure out for long while. I even checked with Honda Canada and did not know about this cold weather vibration issue. Dealer replaced the propeller shaft but may have not updated the the system. I will be checking with them on my next service and see if it will fix the VCM vibration.

#27 ·
Whats the latest feedback? Are you still saying the fix has worked only on your pilot?
Just curious.

Cant get mine fixed yet. It was 20 degrees last night. the car was vibrating more than usual everytime I reduce speed or take foot of gas pedal on the motorway.

#20 ·
Congrats to all that have found this fix to work. I may do it also as I've experience the vibrations too. Mostly I'm just concerned if the driveshaft is suspect, but I have the extended warranty to 2019, so I'm not terribly worried. Might just get it updated anyway.

However, I believe VCM on any vehicle is evil. The annoying vibrations may now be gone, but your engine is still dropping cylinders in ECO mode and that can lead to other issues of plug fouling, misfiring, excessive oil consumption, engine damage etc. as already admitted by Honda themselves.

If you want a solution that disables VCM in the best way I've seen so far, check out what I've posted on this thread. I believe your engine will love you for it. Some may not agree with it, but I have been testing it and I am so happy to have no VCM at all.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/70873-vcm-disable-new-better-way.html#post728401

#21 ·
so I just purchased a certified 2012 ex-l. noticed this on my drive home from the dealership after driving on the highway for 45 minutes. called the dealer and they said bring it back. i showed them this forum and they said sorry yours is outside the VIN. anyone have a 2012 4wd ex-l (low #) that was fixed/

#23 ·
VCM vibration - I wish I'd known

:eek: Just purchased a 2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD w/7000 miles. Bought it in the hills of NW Illinois about 100 miles from home. Didn't notice any problems coming home, but once on the flat land it showed its ugly face all the time. I wish I'd known about this website before I bought it - wouldn't have bought a Honda at all. Have gathered tons of information from all the posts on this website. Gives us tons of ammunition to take to the dealership. I am very interested in Verbatim's solution. I want one as soon as they are available!!! Please keep thread updated. Thank you

#24 ·
:eek: Just purchased a 2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD w/7000 miles. Bought it in the hills of NW Illinois about 100 miles from home. Didn't notice any problems coming home, but once on the flat land it showed its ugly face all the time. I wish I'd known about this website before I bought it - wouldn't have bought a Honda at all. Have gathered tons of information from all the posts on this website. Gives us tons of ammunition to take to the dealership. I am very interested in Verbatim's solution. I want one as soon as they are available!!! Please keep thread updated. Thank you
I will don't worry. Last thing I want to do is offer something to everyone that isn't fully tested. Nobody is answering me from China on the male connector right now because of Chinese New Year. I'm guessing it'll be another month or two before it's ready. Hang in there.

#30 ·
I wish I was this lucky. I had the same vibration issues started in my 2012 this March, it is now July and it is back at the dealer.

Work done to date:

VCM Software Upgrade
Drive Shaft
Engine Mounts
Tires
Rotars and Brakes

Vibration in steering wheel is gone, but at 65-70 the rear end is shaking like crazy. Dealer thinks the rear axels need to be replaced but they are working with Honda Tech Support to determine next action.

The Pilot has been at the dealer for a total of 7 weeks straight.

UGH!!!

#39 ·
I just bought a 2012 pilot touring edition. I believe I have this driveshaft problem but unfortunately, it wasn't fixed by the previous owner under warranty. I'd like to get the computer flash completed by the local Honda dealer, but I don't think I want to pay what they want for the driveshaft update. Is there an updated aftermarket driveshaft that is the same as the OEM honda shaft? I do alot of my own work on my cars and I don't think one would be too hard. The Honda driveshaft is about $1000 from the dealer. other aftermarket ones on the internet are half that but I don't know which part number to search. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#40 ·
Just buy VCMMuzzler (or similar Honda VCM disable product) and disable VCM operation. It seems to have addressed the vibration issues for AWD Pilots.

#42 ·
No, the VCMMuzzler won't fix "cold" vibrations, nor remedy any damage to motor mounts or the center bearing/mount for the AWD propeller shaft, which exacerbate vibration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.