Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, wondering if anyone's had a similar problem, last year about this time I arrived in the OBX right after a major storm and the streets were
flooded and as I drove though the flooded streets(just a few inches, worst maybe 4-5" deep) my dash lights for charging system and a couple other lights
came on, car felt like it was going to stall but didn't, it happened two or 3 x on that trip and never happened again until 2 days before my recent trip back.
We had a major storm here in jersey and I drove through another flooded street, again maybe 5 or 6" tops and same thing happened, i spent 4 hours
at the dealer the Saturday before my trip and they could not find anything to cause this.Said my alternator is probably going, although my battery was
fully charged. Of course they found other problems but nothing electrical. I was sure they'd find a loose harness or some bare wires but they say no.
Took the car to OBX and back with no problems, didn't hit any water although the one day it was supposed to pour we used my sis-in-laws car just in case.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If your dive-driving caused water to splash on the serpentine belt, there's a good chance the belt was slipping for a bit until the serpentine belt was dry again. The slipping belt means no charging, dash lights to on telling you so. Back to dry land for a few minutes and the alternator spins again.

Things to consider: Replace the serpentine belt and its tensioner now. Maybe it would be better to say this as 'replace the tensioner, and while you are in there put a new belt on.' The tensioner is a little can with a clock spring in it, a bearing and a bushing, and it doesn't particularly like water. It rusts and gets stuck, and even a little bit of "stuck" isn't good. Do the belt while you have the tensioner apart. Belts are cheap, but don't get a cheap one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stop driving through flooded streets. Problem solved.
That's been my "solve" for past year and then I got caught driving in the bad storm!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your dive-driving caused water to splash on the serpentine belt, there's a good chance the belt was slipping for a bit until the serpentine belt was dry again. The slipping belt means no charging, dash lights to on telling you so. Back to dry land for a few minutes and the alternator spins again.

Things to consider: Replace the serpentine belt and its tensioner now. Maybe it would be better to say this as 'replace the tensioner, and while you are in there put a new belt on.' The tensioner is a little can with a clock spring in it, a bearing and a bushing, and it doesn't particularly like water. It rusts and gets stuck, and even a little bit of "stuck" isn't good. Do the belt while you have the tensioner apart. Belts are cheap, but don't get a cheap one.

Sounds like a good possibility, since I have no mechanical skills whatsoever, any idea what that might cost to have done at a shop?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sounds like a good possibility, since I have no mechanical skills whatsoever, any idea what that might cost to have done at a shop?
I'm addicted to doing this stuff myself, and have absolutely no clue what a shop might charge for the work. I probably have no mechanical skills myself, but manage to muck on through most car stuff unscathed. A quick peek at Rock Auto shows the belt and tensioner (Dayco) for under $70, so those won't break the bank. Meanwhile, you'll know well before the tensioner actually fails; it grumbles and squeals. The belt is noisy if/when it slips again, plus you'll get the same pinball-effect lightup on the dash if the slip gets serious. The actual work time for to replace the belt and tensioner on a cold engine is less than 30 mins including cleaning the tools and putting them away.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Only place that I loved plowing through deep water was Hoboken ... then secaucus floods real nice ..it's fun watching those idiots pass you in a low rider only to watch the water spray upward and suddenly you see flashers... as I pass them sitting there i would splash the water from the window and wave :) Belts are going to squeel but let them run and they will dry off. During the banchee yell you will see lights..thats cause theres crap slipping from being wet. Biggest concern is NOT to allow water to get sucked into the cold intake

Reactions: rjwindham
1 - 7 of 7 Posts