Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

So I bought a brand new 2012 Honda Pilot 4wd exl that somebody else drove for 98k miles (Aka used). Wonderful vehicle, but about due for some love.. So this past weekend I changed all of the main fluids and slapped some new brakes and rotors on without a hitch, thanks to this forum and the service manual.

I preemptively ordered an asin timing belt/water pump kit, oem serpentine belt tensioner, and related parts a few weeks ago. Since everything went so smooth, I decided to knock this part out too "while I was at it and had plenty of daylight"..

The point and question: I've got her all torn down but the damn eye to screw a bolt in to release the timing belt tension is stripped to hell and back... I tried a battery hold down and m6.1 bolt- they both get nice and tight, then the real loose feeling that makes your stomach turn. I know I didn't cross thread this girl or anything like that.. I can't for the life of me figure out how to gracefully release the tension with this thing stripped.. Has anyone fought this fight? If so, how did you win?

Thanks for any pointers ahead of time and I did search around quite a bit before posting.

Cheers,

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after sitting down on the couch with the dog and a beer, kids and the wife are passed out. It dawned on me to put a bolt in the hole, thread a nut between the eye and tensioner pulley, hold the nut with a wrench, and just twist the bolt with the ratchet. Will try tomorrow but I'm open to other ideas..

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
Always love when somebody does some thinking drinking. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I've never worried with releasing the tension. Some mechanics just cut the belt. What's the negative?

Reactions: Danimal and aggrex

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I've never worried with releasing the tension. Some mechanics just cut the belt. What's the negative?
Answering my own comment...,
I guess I wouldn't want to release the tension suddenly if I was planning on reusing the tensioner. I don't reuse tensioners, so cut away 🗡.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, sitting down with a beer trumps evil. The nut worked just fine, thanks for commenting!

@Nail Grease - I release it gracefully because I had HEARD that snapping the belt loose like that can inadvertently move the cams. I can see how it would be possible, but I've never heard of it actually going sour like that. I can tell you I don't want to be the first guy it happens to- so graceful releases for me. To each their own as they say!

No way I'm reusing any of the tensioners either!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts