Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I am coming up on the 100k service and realized I need spark plugs. Did some searching on here and I am floored at the cost I am finding. Amazon total price for 6 is about $105 for the OEM NGK (90074) DILZKR7A11DS Laser Iridium Spark Plugs and RockAuto is a good bit less shipped at about $77. I am just amazed at the cost either way. I can get 8 OEM ones for my truck for a fraction of the price.

I have honestly never ordered from RockAuto...though they are decent on prices. I often use them to find info or parts options. Normally I have found the cost even more than Amazon on most items after you factor in shipping, but this time they are a good bit less.

Are there other sources to check?

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ones I listed above are the OEM plugs and are substantially cheaper then buying from a dealer. That link you sent they show $27 each for them and the total shipped would be around $175! For spark plugs!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd go with rockauto stock NGKs. The reason these plugs are so expensive is because they are a different technology from the non-rare-metal plugs that are used commonly on older vehicles. That's the reason you get 100K miles and they come out looking better than conventional plugs at 12K. (On Pilots without VCM, even 100K may be conservative with respect to electrode wear, although plug loosening and corrosion in the plug well can get to be an issue over very long-term use.)

I've never used it, but I believe rockauto does a discount for forum members.

- Mark

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The OEM AC Delco plugs for my Sierra are also the same type construction...Iridium plugs. So there is really no difference and I can get them for around $3 each after the rebate that AC Delco offers. Just seems crazy to me these are so much more for the Pilot. Maybe the usage quantity is much less so you dont get the bulk manufacturing rate. Not sure. But I just wanted to make sure before spending so much and to later find out there was a better place to source them.

I am certainly aware of ebay fakes. For the most part, I have never run into this on Amazon when buying from them direct and the supplier listed as NGK...etc. There are sellers on Amazon that are third party which look like fake stuff and those I stay away from. Ebay also has good solid sellers. You just have to know how to identify the fake sellers. Usually low feedback scores and not very many feedback scores from buyers...etc.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
yes, be careful buying from Amazon specially ones claiming it is an original plugs. China made fake products are all over Amazon with fake reviews.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I had an early Porsche that would only live well on Autolite plugs. They are $8/each for the Pilot at the local O'Reilly store.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I'll be putting NGK's in when the time comes. The Autolite picture that O-Reilly supplies of the tip shows a single-iridium design, with the ground electrode looking very conventional. Plus the threads look like they are not particularly good. I need plugs that will go in and last another 100k, and more importantly I'll need to be able to get them out.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Ok...so I am coming up on the 100k service and realized I need spark plugs. Did some searching on here and I am floored at the cost I am finding. Amazon total price for 6 is about $105 for the OEM NGK (90074) DILZKR7A11DS Laser Iridium Spark Plugs and RockAuto is a good bit less shipped at about $77.

Are there other sources to check?
Try Advance Auto Parts and use the discount code 'AAPSAVES25' at checkout.
The price should be $90 for six plugs and you should be able to pick them up locally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.