Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, but they were a big help for me so I wanted to post my experience with the cylinder misfire in case it helps anyone else.

2012 Pilot Touring / 153k Miles / new to me but has been in the family since it was new from the dealer, maintenance plan followed meticulously. Oil Changes every 5k, major Services @ 15k / 30k intervals and 105k service done on time (Belts/Plugs ect)

First symptoms were a check emissions system, VTM-4 System and Check VSA system lights, some research pointed to a possible issue with not closing the gas cap entirely, (needs 3 clicks, since it was new to me I didn't know this). I closed it properly and waited 3 days for the error codes to clear, when they didn't I took it to an auto parts store to scan for codes, came up with P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire. Knowing the spark plugs were replaced at 105k I was a bit confused at how to troubleshoot. Upon further investigation I stumbled upon the class action info and recall that noted the error code I was seeing:

The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and align, which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set DTCs P0301 No. 1 cylinder misfire detected, P0302 No. 2 cylinder misfire detected, P0303 No. 3 cylinder misfire detected, P0304 No. 4 cylinder misfire detected, and cause the MIL to come on. American Honda is extending the powertrain warranty to cover repairs related to engine misfire (that triggers DTCs P0301 through P0304) to 8 years with unlimited mileage
Armed with this knowledge I took it to a local dealer and explained what I had found.

They searched the VIN for the recall and noted the error messages. The dealer confirmed that if the code I told them was correct that it would be covered under warranty. (I just made it by 4 months before the 8 years would be up) They did say they had to write it up as a diagnostic (a service they charge $85 for) however as long as it returned the code as I said, I would not have to pay this. I was confident it would so I agreed.

They called back today and confirmed the code and stated they got Honda to approve the warranty work. According to the TSB (SB-10083965-2280.pdf) This will include:

• Cylinder 1–3: Clean the pistons and replace the pistons rings. • Cylinder 1–4: Replace the spark plugs.

As part of the service they will also do an oil change, radiator flush and fluids refill since its required for the work to be completed. Earliest they could fit in the service was Monday so I will report back once I get it. Not bad to get this kind of warranty work on a 7.5 year old car with 153k miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to report back, I picked it up last night with new rings/spark plugs and cleaned pistons. It's running great, hopefully I can get another 150k miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just dropped my car off today with engine light and vtm4 light on 2013 with approx 83k miles.
They are changing the piston rings. I noticed prior to lights coming on the car seemed to lag and felt as if it not switching gears as normal. The car will be ready on Monday. Will give feedback once received. I was made aware of the piston ring issue through this forum; very valuable information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had a similar experience with our 2012. Our experience is that Honda will stand behind its products and it is helpful to have a dealer service history. For this reason we will likely buy another Pilot when the current one is due to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spoke to the dealership and they had the parts in stock they state the car will be ready tomorrow. Is two days enough come to complete this service?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
We had a similar experience with our 2012. Our experience is that Honda will stand behind its products and it is helpful to have a dealer service history. For this reason we will likely buy another Pilot when the current one is due to be replaced.
Why do I smell a troll? "Honda stands behind its products" Whom are you kidding?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No troll. Actual experience. For the other poster with the question about how long it takes, we dropped our car on Monday morning and picked it up Thursday morning.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Singing praises like that would be insulting to many members here, who have been ignored and mistreated by Honda and its outright neglect for quality and safety. If they stood behind their products, there would be no need for the numerous class action lawsuits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Singing praises like that would be insulting to many members here, who have been ignored and mistreated by Honda and its outright neglect for quality and safety. If they stood behind their products, there would be no need for the numerous class action lawsuits.
I wish you well but I am not going to get into an exchange of insults with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So you had 1 service call with a Honda dealer which was handled professionally and from that you are making a generalization that Honda stands behind its quality. This is a huge overstatement based on one single incident, all while thousands of Honda owners got a run around for the problems related to the engine, transmission, brakes, body rust, paint quality, total AC failure and countless others where Honda circled wagons and pushed back as hard as its army of lawyers could. Boo!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you had 1 service call with a Honda dealer which was handled professionally and from that you are making a generalization that Honda stands behind its quality. This is a huge overstatement based on one single incident, all while thousands of Honda owners got a run around for the problems related to the engine, transmission, brakes, body rust, paint quality, total AC failure and countless others where Honda circled wagons and pushed back as hard as its army of lawyers could. Boo!
Actually we have had three separate Hondas over the last 20 years. One of them, our CRV, had the AC compressor disintegrate internally at over 100k miles. It would have been a $1000 plus repair 10 or so years ago and Honda good willed it. I think we put $100 into the repair.

I am sorry your experience has been negative and I sincerely wish you well with your cars - no one deserves bad luck. But at the same time, as a long time car guy and a long term Honda owner, I can tell you that your chances of getting a good outcome in these situations, irrespective of the brand, is greatly increased if you are a customer with a Honda serviced vehicle, or dealer serviced vehicle generally. Stated differently, is it really fair to ask any manufacturer to, take this example, give the customer a free ring job after the warranty has expired if they haven’t seen you since you drove the car off the lot and there is no service history in the Honda records? They have no idea what the maintenance is and so it is hard for them to justify what is, in this case, a $3000 or $4000 job. At the same time, they take a serious risk for their brand if an actual customer with a Honda serviced vehicle shows up at 75k and the person needs a motor job. In that case, the dealer will want to keep the customer happy and the manufacturer will as well.

One of the reasons my wife and I drive Japanese cars now (Honda and Toyota) is because unlike the German cars we used to favor, the dealer service costs are generally reasonable, and not much higher if at all then local shops. This way, if there is ever an issue, you have a much stronger hand to ask for assistance as compared to a car serviced outside the dealer network. The same logic applies with the German cars, but the costs to keep the cars in the dealer network is prohibitive in my experience, and this makes the additional “insurance” of servicing the cars in that network not worth it relative to the benefit.

Sorry for the long response. Hopefully it is helpful to people who aren’t car guys and don’t think about servicing issues in terms of the longer term risk that could arise in situations when these major defects arise outside the terms of warranty but within a period of time when a reasonable person doesn’t expect to have to do a ring job. You can argue all day about the equities, but I would rather be in a position to take steps to help ensure my family is better protected from these unforeseen costs. So that is why we do Honda service and not jiffy lube or the local garage.

Again, good luck getting your issues resolved at a fair cost. I understand these things are frustrating and that underlies much of the hostility in your post.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
TLDR: You propose everyone to dump tons of $$$ into dealer service department at their overly inflated hourly rates and overly inflated shop times in a hope that they would be willing to convince Honda to goodwill its intentional defects. The smell of troll is overwhelming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TLDR: You propose everyone to dump tons of $$$ into dealer service department at their overly inflated hourly rates and overly inflated shop times in a hope that they would be willing to convince Honda to goodwill its intentional defects. The smell of troll is overwhelming.
Too many complex words for you to digest. Next time I will try pictures and one syllable words. GFY. How’s that for an acronym? You don’t even own a gen 2 Pilot so why are you here?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I am dumb but keep my ca$h while the dealer is smart but is not getting any of it. And it will stay that way as long as they keep lying to me (such as in "Roadforce does not print any reports"). And class action lawsuits against Honda for flooding the market with defective vehicles keep piling up. Keep up good work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts