Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
Sorry for starting a new post , but couldn't find way to ask about upcoming service.
I own a 2012 Honda Pilot, lowest trim level, with 102,000 + miles. Never in an accident. Been servicing it regularly and now have new brakes and rotors all around as well as new tires. Car runs without any problems, no noises, no pulls. Doesn't burn oil, or get bad milage - about 18.8 / gallon if I'm to believe info in car. (However the drivers seat padding has "gone" to the point where I'm sitting on the metal frame and it's caused me severe sciatic pain over the years, so I'm in the market for replacement "manual" front seats.)
Yesterday had to go to Dealership here in Eastern Pa. to have a new gas door hinge installed. (Don't ask why...heavy wind doesn't seem like it could have caused it. Found gas door open & painted gas cover in driveway.)
During visit the service manager gave me the "usual dealership talk" about needing to replace;
  • Timing belt service normally at 105,000 miles (replace timing belt, water pump, coolant) approx. $700.00
  • replace serpentine belt approx. $70.00
  • replace timing belt tensioner approx. $215.00
  • replace Front Control Arm Bushings (badly cracked) approx. 910.00
  • alignment apporx. $100.00
So that's potentially $2000.00.
I'm 68 years old, 270 pounds and 6'5" tall. I know I'm weary of all the crap you need to go through at dealerships. (I have no evidence of this dealership being anything but honest.) I was thinking of trading in the Pilot and "upgrading" to a more luxurious used SUV, but having read all your forums it sounds as though 105,00 miles is a "teenager" in the life of a Honda Pilot!!
Is there anyway I can make my Pilot more luxurious reasonably? Heated power seats, and maybe Honda fog lights would be wonderful!
Are the engines that sound that if I do the scheduled service it'll run for another 10 years? How much above the $2K service costs would my upgrades be?
Gosh, any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks
[email protected]

·
Registered
603 Posts
His estimates are good, and very much typical and necessary, at the 100k mark.

You need new spark plugs as well, at 100k.

It is a shame you didn't know about the compliance bushings. They were covered for free under an extended warranty up to 100k miles, which you JUST went over. You could have gotten these for free: https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/A15-045.pdf

Even taking it to an independent shop, using aftermarket quality parts, you probably won't save much money, depending on their markup for parts. Mevotech lower control arms (which replace a LOT more than that one bushing) are about $250 plus shipping in parts. By the time you do the labor, misc fees, and alignment, you are going to be close to the Honda quote. If you wanted to keep the vehicle, and replace the entire control arm, I'd be inclined to replace struts/mounts and check the tie rods while they have it apart.

Honda fog lights are glass, as are the TYC aftermarket replacements, and they crack super easily. I'd be inclined to just go with an aftermarket solution, but that won't look as nice. I dont know if the wiring harness is there on lower trim models to make this easy or not on an LX.

Same on the seats.... if the wiring is there and it is just a matter of adding switches and a heater power seat, that would make it easy, but I kind of doubt that's the case. Finding seats should not be difficult from a salvage operation.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
If you have been going to this dealer the past couple years for maintenance I would inquire why the state of the control arm bushings weren’t addressed during those services. They degrade over time so them getting to the point of being badly cracked shouldn’t have happened over a short time period.

You might also check what new lower control arms would cost. You’ll get new ball joints if the entire arm is replaced.

The other items the dealer suggested are reasonable for a 102k mile Pilot.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you have been going to this dealer the past couple years for maintenance I would inquire why the state of the control arm bushings weren’t addressed during those services. They degrade over time so them getting to the point of being badly cracked shouldn’t have happened over a short time period.
This. If this vehicle has gone to the dealer for oil changes I'd be putting a foot in their arse because this sure sounds like a con-job to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts