Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L w/80k Sooo...I recently (last summer) had the dreaded VCM issue and thank goodness Honda took care of it and replace the affected rings, plugs, etc. This past winter I noticed the drive shaft vibration on the cold days. I have a potential buyer. There are elements of this vehicle I love, but to be honest these issues have me nervous. Is this VCM issue really resolved or am I gonna have a $3k bill for new plugs & rings in another 20k. Should I unload or keep?

We just lucked into a 2019 4Runner TRD Pro for $35k. So now we need to decide....keep the 2012 Pilot with 80k (that's had way too many issues IMO) or the 2011 Outlander w/ 120k (paid off and WAY more trouble free over last 5 years than the Pilot)????

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Have you considered getting one of the "muzzler" type devices that disables the VCM function?
Or, do you have the "seven-year itch" and are ready for (and can afford to buy) a new vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From what I've read the issue with the excessive driveshaft vibration is due to poor dampening in <32 degree weather and will be a $1500-2000 repair that Honda won't take care of on their behalf. To me that is unacceptable. In 25 years of driving and much higher mileage cars (and some hard driving in my teens and 20s) I've NEVER had a driveshaft fail. Part of me doesn't want to give up on it....another part of me is worried I've got a lemon and I've lost a lot of faith in Honda. Torn

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you're choosing between two vehicles and one is "way more trouble free", its a no-brainer unless one is potentially collectible and could appreciate in the long term. That's almost certain to not be the case with your two options.

Keep the one you have the most confidence in. Or get rid of both and find an old Pilot without all the tech, and spend some of what you saved to re-do everything its going to need.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd personally sell the Pilot. If the prospective buyer is offering decent money, might as well be done with it, especially with a $1,000+ timing belt job coming up (7yrs/105k).

·
Registered
853 Posts
From what I've read the issue with the excessive driveshaft vibration is due to poor dampening in <32 degree weather and will be a $1500-2000 repair that Honda won't take care of on their behalf. To me that is unacceptable. In 25 years of driving and much higher mileage cars (and some hard driving in my teens and 20s) I've NEVER had a driveshaft fail. Part of me doesn't want to give up on it....another part of me is worried I've got a lemon and I've lost a lot of faith in Honda. Torn
Or you could have the TSB done to correct the driveshaft issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a new driveshaft enroute for my 12 touring 4WD because the bearings in the center are going chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp as soon as i hit 30mph.
I only have 59k,, and am in AZ where i don't think i've even driven in sub 40 temps.

Honda wanted 800 for the part plus $145 for labor... it is half that on amazon so im just going ot have them install it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have a new driveshaft enroute for my 12 touring 4WD because the bearings in the center are going chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp as soon as i hit 30mph.
I only have 59k,, and am in AZ where i don't think i've even driven in sub 40 temps.

Honda wanted 800 for the part plus $145 for labor... it is half that on amazon so im just going ot have them install it.
Good luck with that ..Dorman is aftermarket your better off going to a private shop at this point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just my opinion, if you are not comfortable with your current vehicle, I would get rid of it. I lost confidence in my last vehicle, so I sold it and bought my 2015 Pilot. If this one becomes iffy I will sell this one also.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Just curious to see what the issues are discovered that point to the ring replacement ..i'm at 76k and starting to see white vapor trails in the exhaust time to time on a 80 F day i should not see those ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...I brought up the driveshaft issue up with the dealer. Even showed them the TSB, sent a video, and they said I was out of date/VIN range. They didn't seem to care and acted like I was S.O.L....guess another reason to wash my hands of the Honda

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will the dealer service do a good inspection and confirm if it has the VCM issue? Our 2012 EX-L AWD will hit 7 years in September (currently at around 70k miles) and we have the Honda Care warranty that will expire then. I want to get a good and thorough vehicle inspection before that runs out. OR am I better going to an independent mechanic to look over the Pilot? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts