Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does it make the noise if you turn the wheel but aren't moving? Does it do it in reverse? I'm running out of questions that make any sense.
If I'm not moving, no it does not.

In reverse, I don't think so but I haven't tried reverse at speed. I know at low speed (no acceleration) moving forward it doesn't seem to make the noise. It also doesn't make the noise when accelerating unless I'm turning.

I'm also running out of ideas. I know it's not power steering pump. wrong noise, and not related to engine RPM. It -may- be wheel bearings, but I've had one in the rear go bad on this car and it was a) different noise, b) continuous and c) got louder with wheel speed. Wheel bearing also doesn't explain that it seems to stop even if I'm still turning. At some point I'll get under there and take a look and/or take it in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For grins, verify power steering fluid level and condition.
I'll check this, but I replaced the power steering pump on the '03 Pilot two years ago - the pump was leaking. the noise was always there (though it got louder when you turned the wheel) and it varied in pitch and volume with engine RPM. This noise does neither of those, and sounds different. The '03 it was a whine. this is not a whine, it is closer to a hum or vibration.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'll check this, but I replaced the power steering pump on the '03 Pilot two years ago - the pump was leaking. the noise was always there (though it got louder when you turned the wheel) and it varied in pitch and volume with engine RPM. This noise does neither of those, and sounds different. The '03 it was a whine. this is not a whine, it is closer to a hum or vibration.
Try it with your radio and all interior fans off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Try it with your radio and all interior fans off.
I have. I don't hear the power steering pump. FWIW, I was at jump rope a few weeks ago with my daughter. Another guy rolled up in an Accord. I could hear the pump in his car. I told him "sounds like your power steering pump is going, or there's a leak somewhere". He said "I wondered what that noise was, I'll get it checked". He told me last week that they found a leak, and replaced one of the hoses. So, my assumption is power steering pumps in Honda cars all sound the same, or at least similar. This noise is definitely not that.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have. I don't hear the power steering pump. FWIW, I was at jump rope a few weeks ago with my daughter. Another guy rolled up in an Accord. I could hear the pump in his car. I told him "sounds like your power steering pump is going, or there's a leak somewhere". He said "I wondered what that noise was, I'll get it checked". He told me last week that they found a leak, and replaced one of the hoses. So, my assumption is power steering pumps in Honda cars all sound the same, or at least similar. This noise is definitely not that.
Now we get into nutty things like check for a cat or squirrel living in one of the front wheel wells. (just kidding ... maybe)

Might as well check the bearings and suspension. Jack a front wheel off the ground and try to rock the tire left/right grabbing it at the 3 and 9 oclock positions and in and out direction from the 12 and 6 oclock positions. Have you had a chance to get under the car and look around yet?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Process of elimination. Nice going.
Check inner tie-rods/boots and steering rack (hydraulic actuators). These parts move during steering.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
An update (sorry it's been a while). We still don't know what the noise is. It's been cold and rainy here, quite frequently. Today is the first sunny day in nearly a week. After 3 weeks of me putting off doing it myself I took the Pilot in for a transmission fluid change, and asked my mechanic to try and diagnose the noise. He said he could hear it during a test drive but it didn't last long enough to figure it out. He checked things out on the lift but didn't see anything obvious. It sounds like it's coming from the wheels rather than towards the middle of the car. It still doesn't make the noise if you aren't turning and accelerating, or at least going above a certain speed while turning. A slow turn and/or going straight there's no noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed a new noise when my 2012 Pilot is turned sharply. It only seems to be theere when accelerating such as turning onto a road from a stop sign. It lasts for a few seconds. If I’m in my driveway going slowly I don’t hear it. It happens on both left and right turns. I’d call it a hum or buzz except it’s mechanical and not electrical. I was thinking CV joints but I’ve had a bad one on a different car and that was more of a clicking. It’s not the power steering pump. I know what those sound like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An update (sorry it's been a while). We still don't know what the noise is. It's been cold and rainy here, quite frequently. Today
An update (sorry it's been a while). We still don't know what the noise is. It's been cold and rainy here, quite frequently. Today is the first sunny day in nearly a week. After 3 weeks of me putting off doing it myself I took the Pilot in for a transmission fluid change, and asked my mechanic to try and diagnose the noise. He said he could hear it during a test drive but it didn't last long enough to figure it out. He checked things out on the lift but didn't see anything obvious. It sounds like it's coming from the wheels rather than towards the middle of the car. It still doesn't make the noise if you aren't turning and accelerating, or at least going above a certain speed while turning. A slow turn and/or going straight there's no noise.
I noticed a new noise when my 2012 Pilot is turned sharply. It only seems to be theere when accelerating such as turning onto a road from a stop sign. It lasts for a few seconds. If I’m in my driveway going slowly I don’t hear it. It happens on both left and right turns. I’d call it a hum or buzz except it’s mechanical and not electrical. I was thinking CV joints but I’ve had a bad one on a different car and that was more of a clicking. It’s not the power steering pump. I know what those sound like.
*I had the same issue (I own a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD) for over 2 years and the noise became worst with time. I felt it in the steering turning from stop to either side it had a similar sound to like a cow 😂. For all this time I thought it was the rack and pinion or cv joints and even took it to a local Honda dealership and they couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking it to my best friend who happens to own a mechanic shop 500 miles from where I live - (summer trip) and he told me that the noise was coming from the back of the vehicle... long story short.. he did replace the rear differential fluid with Honda’s OEM VTM-4 and VOILA!!!! Problem solved!!! So my advice to you guys if you have a similar problem and you own a 4WD Honda Pilot start with the rear differential fluid.. with the fluid and labor you shouldn’t spend more than $100 - $150. 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
*I had the same issue (I own a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD) for over 2 years and the noise became worst with time. I felt it in the steering turning from stop to either side it had a similar sound to like a cow 😂. For all this time I thought it was the rack and pinion or cv joints and even took it to a local Honda dealership and they couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking it to my best friend who happens to own a mechanic shop 500 miles from where I live - (summer trip) and he told me that the noise was coming from the back of the vehicle... long story short.. he did replace the rear differential fluid with Honda’s OEM VTM-4 and VOILA!!!! Problem solved!!! So my advice to you guys if you have a similar problem and you own a 4WD Honda Pilot start with the rear differential fluid.. with the fluid and labor you shouldn’t spend more than $100 - $150. 👍

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks. Sorry for the length of time on the reply. I've been busy. I will look into that. I think its coming from the front but can get the rear diff fluid replaced or replace it myself. It won't hurt anything to replace it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I replaced the fluid today and on the test drive the problem does indeed seem to be solved. I'll watch it for a few more days. I laughed at a sound like a cow. It did sound like that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts