Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago when the car was turned off in a parking lot (key in ignition but not on) the dash lights started going off. Tried to start car and it wouldn’t start, not even the clicking sound. Got a jump and it worked. Took it in to dealer a few days later and they found nothing wrong (it was working fine after that one incident).

Now today driving home and car gets sluggish, lights start going off on dash, radio goes off and then it just dies - while driving. Get nothing, no clicking, not starting, etc.

Any clues what it could be?

2012 Pilot with about 160k miles.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Check the battery and charging system for it. If your car has the original battery it's way past due. Regardless, clean battery terminals are a must.

You needed a jump-start for your dead or bad-connections battery to get home. The engine likely stopped when RPM's fell below the point where the alternator could supply enough power without help from the battery. If you have a voltmeter, your at-rest voltage should be 12.4 to 12.6 at the battery terminals. With engine running, look for 14.5 to 14.7 charging. This doesn't tell you the whole story on the battery health but it's a good start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is about 4 years old so that could be it, just bought a new one but have to get it in. Wouldn’t take a jump so wondering if it isn’t something more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If there is no charge coming from the alternator to replenish the battery, the car will run off the battery until there isn't enough juice to make things work. Then everything is dead. Jumping after depleting the battery will usually not work unless you leave both vehicles connected for a bit with the charging vehicle at a slightly higher than idle rev. This will re-charge the dead battery enough that you may get started, but I wouldn't expect it to last very long and you'll deplete the battery again.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What he said, plus what I said about clean terminals and check the charging voltage with the new battery installed. Depending on the climate where you are, four years may be fine. If you happen to live in a hot place like Phoenix or south Texas for instance, anything past a couple years on a battery is bonus time. I got about 5.5 years before the battery showed weak in a specific-gravity test. No other symptoms, but I hate getting stranded by something I know will need fixing.

A failing battery will strain the alternator and cause it to fail. The voltage test will tell you if you need to replace that too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This literally just happened to my 14' last week.........sitting in a parking lot with the ignition on to charge my phone and the the navigation and radio/climate control panels all went out.
Had to jump it and was able to drive home.
Got a new battery and all is well!
My original battery looked a little swollen on the sides and had a good 5 year run. It was a 610 CCA, the new Everlast MAXX battery I got from Walmart is 725 CCA and I can definitely feel a more pep when I start the truck now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts