Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my seat cover was broken during service in the dealership and they won't fix it for me. They are saying i have no proof and plastic can break anytime...i made some complaints but I don't expect them to pay for the repair.easily. I probably need to take a picture of the car in and out throughly going forward.

Now, It's me who needs to fix it. I found the part on the internet but I have no clue how to take it off. I am guessing it's matter of click and put them together with the part but I have no clude.. Please help.

Based on the picuture I found. it seems i need to remove these two first.

button to move seats - how do I remove it?
there is cover for seat belt - how do I remove it?

Once those button and belt cover is removed, how do I remove the recliner cover?
the part number 81638-SZA-A41ZB ..mine is brown...

I searched youtube and couldn't find any.
if there is any video or picture of how to, please let me know

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am currently having same exact issue. Just got part today 81638-SZA-A41ZC (same as yours, just different color) and having same problem on trying to figure out how to remove old "broken" one without messing/breaking anything else up. Wondering how you made out and if you can offer any advice or guidance - thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am currently having same exact issue. Just got part today 81638-SZA-A41ZC (same as yours, just different color) and having same problem on trying to figure out how to remove old "broken" one without messing/breaking anything else up. Wondering how you made out and if you can offer any advice or guidance - thanks.
Not fixed yet..still back and forth with dealership through BBB. Also could not figure out how to remove it yet either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, I'm somewhat handy so will be trying to figure it out and let you know if/how I get it. Wife works nights (her vehicle) and on schedule for next couple evenings, so will be trying this weekend and let you know anything helpful I might discover.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This just broke on my 12 pilot also. Where did you find the part/part number? Need to get the light grey color for drivers seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

Below is link for online website where I purchased mine, there is a diagram you can click on to see all components of the seat. It's a pricey part (for piece of plastic), but did much searching and seems to be one of the cheapest spots I could find and still be from reputable company and not some "shady" online business. Haven't had time to tackle yet, so can't provide any feedback on actual job of replacing - still sitting on garage shelf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I replaced part last night and was successful. Wasn't too bad. Some of my pieces were broke, but will describe how I see it coming off without any broke parts. First the front plastic needs to be removed. There is a #2 square tip screw on end with center console. Vert tight, had to use small 1/4" ratchet and got in there blindly. Once that is out it slides out from side piece. Yours is probably broke here too. Luckily mine was all broke on side piece and didn't need to replace front, as that is almost as expensive. There is another #2 sq. tip screw at front for side piece. The seat movements buttons pop off with little pry tool, use cloth to prevent scuff marks. The lumber is on a rocker switch, I had to push one side to get pry in there, but popped right off too. The seat belt bolt cover slides down and clips in. I put my hand up from bottom to relapse the clip and slid right up & out. There are multiple "slide-in locking plastic" clips. 5 towards back, you can see locations on new piece. This was tricky, getting my hand and flat head screw driver to release them w/o breaking. Then there is a metal clip and metal rod hook to be undone. Again, mine were broke already so was just matter of removing broke "parts". Once all unclipped the big electrical control is only held in by 2 screws and the rocker switch came out by pushing from front. I did give resistance, but came out. Seat belt bolt needs to be taken out to slide belt off old piece and through new one. Then everything goes back in reverse order.

NOTE: may be easier if you take seat out, especially screw in side front between seat and center console. I ended up super gluing it to a sq. tip to find it way back in hole w/o falling off. However I was determined to do w/o removing seat.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Great follow-up!

But fear not the task of removing a set to a workbench or workmate. Lower the windows, then disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes to make sure the airbag in the seatback is fully safe. Then a couple or a few (depends on model/market) electrical plugs, four bolts, and the seat travels nicely out of the car. A couple woodworker's clamps stabilize it on my oversized workmate, and now there's full access for the trim repairs, plus cleaning.

Having the seat out will help you recover that set of keys you dropped, and give you access to sanitize the carpets under the seat where most of that order of shrimp fried rice and that ketchup-covered pickle have been hiding. It's also a great opportunity to shampoo the whole drivers footwell carpet too. You won't believe how much, um, soil comes out. I daresay that the overall fragrance will improve.

Maybe all that extra duty is why many won't risk taking the seat(s) out.

Reactions: Murph
1 - 10 of 10 Posts