Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the 2012 EX-L Pilot last week. When I test drove it I didn't notice a problem with the leg room. I am 6' 4" tall and my right knee hits the dash right under the shifter. I have the seat all the way back and the front tilted up. If I sit up straight I fit but as I drive I have to keep pushing myself back in the seat. I've seen older posts with seat extensions but I have not found anything to extend the seats for the new Pilots. I bought a new car and now I am stuck. The dealer won't take it back.

Does anybody know how to extend the seats back further? I went to a mobility place and they said they would have to break the weld and move the seat back and add a new pillar. I would lose the seat behind me. Surely there is something else I can do with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just bought the 2012 EX-L Pilot last week. When I test drove it I didn't notice a problem with the leg room. I am 6' 4" tall and my right knee hits the dash right under the shifter. I have the seat all the way back and the front tilted up. If I sit up straight I fit but as I drive I have to keep pushing myself back in the seat. I've seen older posts with seat extensions but I have not found anything to extend the seats for the new Pilots. I bought a new car and now I am stuck. The dealer won't take it back.

Does anybody know how to extend the seats back further? I went to a mobility place and they said they would have to break the weld and move the seat back and add a new pillar. I would lose the seat behind me. Surely there is something else I can do with it.
I'm about your height, and honestly, I've had this type of problem in nearly every car I've driven. My right knee ends up hitting something on the dash or center stack. I think the only venhciles where that won't happen, is something without a center console, like a real truck might have. My knee actually hits the bottom of the shifter in the case of the Pilot.

So really, I'd be curious what car(s) you've owned where you didn't have this problem or something similar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My knee actually hits the bottom of the shifter in the case of the Pilot.

So really, I'd be curious what car(s) you've owned where you didn't have this problem or something similar.
I actually greatly dislike where Honda put the shifter on the Pilot. My '07 had it on the column. With my leg, or my hand reaching for the radio controls, I've bumped the car into Neutral more times than I'd like to admit.

Honestly, VW/Audi have historically been good to me when it comes to legroom. I'm 6'3".

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive a 2007 passat wagon and it has a ton of legroom, straight out. (Before that I had a 2001.5 passat wagon which was about the same) But my knee still hits the center console/stack on my VW.

The pilot is my wifes.

I'm 6'3" also.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I actually greatly dislike where Honda put the shifter on the Pilot. My '07 had it on the column. With my leg, or my hand reaching for the radio controls, I've bumped the car into Neutral more times than I'd like to admit.

Honestly, VW/Audi have historically been good to me when it comes to legroom. I'm 6'3".
I drive a 2007 passat wagon and it has a ton of legroom, straight out. (Before that I had a 2001.5 passat wagon which was about the same) But my knee still hits the center console/stack on my VW.

The pilot is my wifes.

I'm 6'3" also.
VW and Audi have always been brands that really excel at making the cockpit experience great. Every time I've sat in one of their cars, I've noticed how well designed everything is around the driver. So I'm not surprised they handle that well.

That said... Audi is kind of a different price and luxury level than the Pilot. And the large SUV from VW, the Toureg, is also really expensive (and surprisingly small inside, and awful on gas, etc.). So we didn't really look at them in our shopping.

·
Super Moderator
15,274 Posts
VWs have always been amazing for legroom but not reliability.

Never cease to be amazed how my 6ft son likes the seat so close to the wheel in comparison to 6ft3 me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
VWs have always been amazing for legroom but not reliability.

Never cease to be amazed how my 6ft son likes the seat so close to the wheel in comparison to 6ft3 me.

I'm with you VW's have been known to be 50/50, my 2007 has been great. Numerous recalls over the years... recall for an airbag connector, transmission computer reprogram, probably a few others. At 77K when out of warranty it would occasionally not start, not turn over, not do anything. Turned out to be an item covered under a recall. Ignition switch or something. Its been a wonderful car to own. VW of america has been great.

My 2001.5 which I bought used with 30k needed a transmission at 68K. Only reason I bought the 2007 new is because the dealer gave me such a good deal. Glad I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '02 Explorer actually had a fantastic amount of leg room. (Another 6'4 driver)... I discovered in my 2011 Pilot that with the seat all the way back, and all the way down, with the forward edge tilted up just a smudge, my knee fit just under the shifter. And on long trips, I could kick on the cruise control, take off my shoes, and both legs could stretch out to the firewall. Clutch when we moved from Tennessee to Montana over the summer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 2011 GMC Acadia. It had more leg room. Unfortunately it was a POS. Also had 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. I was able to stretch my legs out all the way in that car. The Pilot is not comfortable. Other than comfort its a nice SUV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to some mobility places to see about getting the drivers seat extended. No one will touch it. It would be great if someone made a seat extender. Another few inches and I would be okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I wish I would have done a test drive on my wife’s pilot because my knee hits the same thing. I’d highly suggest getting something else. If you read these forums enough you realize this car is nothing like the older relatable Hondas. Not to mention uncomfortable. I can’t stand my wife’s pilot.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I wish I would have done a test drive on my wife’s pilot because my knee hits the same thing. I’d highly suggest getting something else. If you read these forums enough you realize this car is nothing like the older relatable Hondas. Not to mention uncomfortable. I can’t stand my wife’s pilot.
Another excellent first post! No intro, straight to the point!

I'm 6'3" and the Pilot does not have enough leg room unless I lower the seat all the way, which also pushes the seat back just enough for me to make a 3-5 hour drive. I wouldn't want to do the all day drive to Disney in it, my Traverse has that kind of all day comfort.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I read this post and thought about this post while at work, and found an answer for you guys. the website is: extendmyseat.com
Unfortunately, the Honda Pilot doesn't yet make the list of eligible fitments from extendmyseat.com. ;(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm only 6' and my left leg has really poor room from the wheel well intruding into the foot well.. The cure would seem to be extended seat tracks. If I had to drive the thing every day, that would be a significant issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts