Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Touring Pilot that I've owned since it was new. Recently the interior lights stopped working. I figured some of the bulbs went bad so I replaced them with LEDs.

While replacing the lights, I realized not a single interior light works, even with the new bulbs. I checked both fuses and they were okay, but to be safe, I replaced both 7.5 fuses and still no luck.

Anybody have any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Looks like there are more than 2 fuses for the interior lights, Check the following:

Fuse 22 and 23 in the underhood fuse box (10 amp)

Fuse 10 (7.5 amp) in the under dash fuse box

After testing/replacing fuses, let me know which lights do/do not work:

vanity mirrors?
driver overhead lights?
2nd row overhead lights?
3rd row overhead lights?

Illumnated window switches?
Radio and dashboard lights?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Stupid simple stuff: Make sure the interior light fixtures front and rear have switches set to mid position.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also verify if it happens with all the doors. Sometimes the switches on the car door can go bad, though I haven't seen this with any "newer" cars like the Pilot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like there are more than 2 fuses for the interior lights, Check the following:

vanity mirrors?
driver overhead lights?
2nd row overhead lights?
3rd row overhead lights?

I checked all three of those fuses and they're all good.

These are the only lights that work:

Vanity mirrors
Driver's side overhead
Front driver's and passenger door lights
Window switches
Radio and dashboard lights

The switch in the cargo area is set in the middle, but the other lights in the front and middle don't have switches -- only press the light cover to turn on/off.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What about the switch in the overhead console?

What position is the switch in?

You could also remove the lenses and bulbs and check for power at the contacts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about the switch in the overhead console?

What position is the switch in?

You could also remove the lenses and bulbs and check for power at the contacts.
That was the main problem. I never touch that switch, so my wife must have changed it.

I replaced all of the lights with LEDs and all except for the passenger-side overhead light is working. I tried both the new and old bulb and also toggled the switch on/off, but it never would come on.

I'm guessing the next step would be to test for power at the contacts? If so, what #'s should I be seeing and what should I set my multimeter to?

Thanks for your help 2010exl!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
There's a slide swith in the front overhead consple, the one on the driver's side. The one on the right operates the sunroof. Put the left side one in the middle position. That enables the individual lights, and turns them all on when a door opens. The LED's are polarity sensitive. Reverse the ones that don't work.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good point Dr. Bob on the LED bulbs and having the polarity correct.

Also, the original bulbs are fragile and the filament/end cap is easily damaged when removing them.

If you want, set your volt meter to DC volts and check for power across the bulb socket terminals.

Possibly, there is nothing wrong with the car. Could just be a combination of LED bulb(s) installed backward and/or the original bulbs are damaged and won't work when reinstalled.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
That was the main problem. I never touch that switch, so my wife must have changed it.

I replaced all of the lights with LEDs and all except for the passenger-side overhead light is working. I tried both the new and old bulb and also toggled the switch on/off, but it never would come on.

I'm guessing the next step would be to test for power at the contacts? If so, what #'s should I be seeing and what should I set my multimeter to?

Thanks for your help 2010exl!
Specifically answering your questions:

Yes, good idea to test for power at the affected sockets.

Set your multimeter to read "DC Volts". Expect to see battery voltage (about 12.5 Volts DC) at the socket terminals with the main switch at middle position and a door open. same as: when the other lights are on. The meter is polarity-sensitive too, so you may see + battery voltage or - battery voltage dependinon which way the test leads are connected.

Reactions: loopit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the last problem was due to the bulb being installed backwards. Ended up blowing both the original and backup 7.5 AMP fuse while swapping out lights. I believe the switch was set to off when changing the out -- seems strange the fuses kept blowing.

Went to the local Autozone and Pep Boys and neither had the fuses I needed -- had to order them from Amazon.

Thanks for everyone's help. All interior lights are working now!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Not surprising that the zone and pep boys failed you.
I gave up on those stores some time back. Only Napa has staff on site who know what they are doing and supply from on site parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts

vanity mirrors?
driver overhead lights?
2nd row overhead lights?
3rd row overhead lights?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can not get the driver over head lights or the tv to work... what do I need to do?

vanity mirrors?
driver overhead lights?
2nd row overhead lights?
3rd row overhead lights?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The slide switch in the diver's overhead console light must be set to middle position to allow the rest of the overhead lights to work at all, even manual/local switches. In that middle position, the lights will come on with any door open or remote keypress, and the local switches are also enabled. See Post 8 above for the same guidance. If the lights still don't work, check the fuses listed above in this thread.

Were you trying to replace bulbs when the fault occurred? Some have reported issues when putting in LED bulbs, either from a bulb put in wrong or with shorting terminals during installation. Fuses protect the wiring when that happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts