Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 honda pilot with approx. 117xxx miles and have been thinking it may be time for spark plugs (bought with 92xxx miles and do not know the service history, i did already do timing belt service). I pulled one of the spark plugs to get the part number and it is NGK ILZKR7B 11. In my research the correct plug for a 2012 pilot is NGK DILZKR7A11DS - question is did someone already change the plugs in my car or is this an updated part? Also, i can still buy ILZKR7B 11 plugs considerably cheaper than the DILZKR7A11DS plugs but the websites all show incompatible with the 2012 pilot, is that true? The pilot does seem to be running fine and is getting approx 18ish mpg city and like 21-22mpg hwy (summer) - should i even worry about changing the plugs?

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
There are usually different 'levels' or lines within a manufacturers product mix, for example budget, high performance, etc., each line of which may have a plug that will fit your application. Here is a link to the page that describes NGK's numbering system. I'll leave it up to you to try to figure out what the differences are & report back. Have fun!

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/174/ngk-numbering-systems

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check your owners manual. The recommended NGK plugs are listed there along with the Denso. I would stick with these plugs only.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The manual calls for two different sets if I remember correctly. I called my dealer and all they carry are the NGK DILZKR7A11G and is what they specifically use. I found them for about $19 on Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone explain why Honda would change the spark plug type for only the 2012 and 2013 model year? The engine has not changed. The second gen Pilots (2009-2015) all have the J35Z4. 2009 to 2011 take Part# 12290-R70-A01 (ILZKR7B11). 2012 and 13 take Part# 12290-RN0-A01 (DILZKR7A11DS). I can't find specific info on model years 14 and 15. The price for the 2012 and 13 spark plugs are significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Can anyone explain why Honda would change the spark plug type for only the 2012 and 2013 model year? The engine has not changed. The second gen Pilots (2009-2015) all have the J35Z4. 2009 to 2011 take Part# 12290-R70-A01 (ILZKR7B11). 2012 and 13 take Part# 12290-RN0-A01 (DILZKR7A11DS). I can't find specific info on model years 14 and 15. The price for the 2012 and 13 spark plugs are significantly more expensive.
What year are you looking for?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The second gen Pilots (2009-2015) all have the J35Z4. 2009 to 2011 take Part# 12290-R70-A01 (ILZKR7B11). 2012 and 13 take Part# 12290-RN0-A01 (DILZKR7A11DS).
I'm using Bosh double Iridium. What I also run in my Toyota's. VERY long lived. Installed in August. 5k+ miles on them.

The Bosh double-iridium pin-pin are $8 at RockAuto.

Our '12 likes 'em just fine, and I'm quite picky about drivability.

Despite anecdotal "Honda's hate Bosh plugs" or more specifically "Pilot's hate Bosh plugs". No one could produce one thread or link to 2nd Gen Pilots + Bosch.

I'm guessing yours would be fine as well, but maybe Murphy's Law would strike yours [shrug].

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm using Bosh double Iridium. What I also run in my Toyota's. VERY long lived. Installed in August. 5k+ miles on them.

The Bosh double-iridium pin-pin are $8 at RockAuto.

Our '12 likes 'em just fine, and I'm quite picky about drivability.

Despite anecdotal "Honda's hate Bosh plugs" or more specifically "Pilot's hate Bosh plugs". No one could produce one thread or link to 2nd Gen Pilots + Bosch.

I'm guessing yours would be fine as well, but maybe Murphy's Law would strike yours [shrug].
Because Honda doesn't put Bosch part numbers in the Owners Manual for replacements. Neither does the Honda workshop manuals straight from the engineers. Honda calls for NGKs, they were engineered that way, so that's what I use. For someone who preaches the manual and maintenance code bible, I'm surprised you do.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Because Honda doesn't put Bosch part numbers in the Owners Manual for replacements. Neither does the Honda workshop manuals straight from the engineers. Honda calls for NGKs, they were engineered that way, so that's what I use. For someone who preaches the manual and maintenance code bible, I'm surprised you do.
I guess we all have our Off days :) ....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Indeed.

That Honda doesn't list Bosch (or Autolite or Champion) spark plugs surely can't be related to their corporate ties to NGK or Denso. :rolleyes:.

In this case, if I uncovered many or even a few "fail" posts on Piloteers or other forums regarding these SPECIFIC plugs on this SPECIFIC engine, it would have given me pause. At $30, it was a cheap, very low risk and successful experiment, and I posted it as such.

Further, silence in any manual shouldn't be interpreted as exclusion or implying alarm. Explicit statements that contain "MAY HARM..." or similar, would certainly contain my experimentation, but depending on the history of an aftermarket offering, I would consider it as a "late adopter".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,

I want to change spark plug for my Honda Pilot 2012 and the spareparts shop told me the part number 12290-R71-L01.

Is it the correct part for 2012 pilot.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I want to change spark plug for my Honda Pilot 2012 and the spareparts shop told me the part number 12290-R71-L01.
Is it the correct part for 2012 pilot.
Yes - either that part number or 12290-RN0-A01.
12290-R71-L01 is NGK part number DILZKR7A11G and 12290-RN0-A01 is NGK part number DILZKR7A11DS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts