Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone has experienced a leaking metal valve stem on a 2012 honda pilot. it is at the base where it meets the wheel.
Few questions
1- can it be replaced alone , or is it part of the tire pressure sensor?
2- any thoughts on best place to purchase this?
3- does it need reprogrammed, and who can do this if needed?

thanks

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
wondering if anyone has experienced a leaking metal valve stem on a 2012 honda pilot. it is at the base where it meets the wheel.
Few questions
1- can it be replaced alone , or is it part of the tire pressure sensor?
2- any thoughts on best place to purchase this?
3- does it need reprogrammed, and who can do this if needed?

thanks
Is it loose?
Can a socket be placed over it and tightened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just went and sprayed it with bubbles

i was explaining it incorrectly...its leaking from where i indicated with arrow.. any way to tighten this? (it is not coming from the cap)
any help appreciated
valvestem leak.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
238 Posts
i just went and sprayed it with bubbles

i was explaining it incorrectly...its leaking from where i indicated with arrow.. any way to tighten this? (it is not coming from the cap)
any help appreciated
View attachment 148312
That’s a crappy place to get a leak. I would drive to your local tire shop. They should be able to replace just the stem, and keep the TPMS sensor. Might coat you $20, but it would be worth it.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
If it's coming out of the valve stim itself, they have a valve core replacement kit at Wal-Mart for 3 bucks. Otherwise, ya, what @Depleted Islet said.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Theyre called shrader valves. For some reason the name isnt on the package
Well, I've heard of a valve core tool, so you just assume that this tools extracts and installs valve cores.
¯\(ツ)
Hand me that Crescent wrench.

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not the core..i have a tool for that as well..its at the base
Where it threads into the other piece...ill dee if a tire shop has a tool to do it
As theres nowhere to grab it..

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The TPMS sensor has that grommet to do the sealing, slides over the stem then both through the rim, then that outer sleeve (nut) draws the sensor up snug into the grommet for the seal. A good tire place might be able to replace that grommet without a whole new sensor. Labor is the same, as the tire gets a "bead break" from the rim on the front side for access, sensor comes out for either the repair or replacement.

Know that leaks there don't just happen on their own. Usually it's an impact with something and the TPMS stem that bends it slightly or cracks it. Plan on needing a replacement sensor assembly.

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TPMS sensor has that grommet to do the sealing, slides over the stem then both through the rim, then that outer sleeve (nut) draws the sensor up snug into the grommet for the seal. A good tire place might be able to replace that grommet without a whole new sensor. Labor is the same, as the tire gets a "bead break" from the rim on the front side for access, sensor comes out for either the repair or replacement.

Know that leaks there don't just happen on their own. Usually it's an impact with something and the TPMS stem that bends it slightly or cracks it. Plan on needing a replacement sensor assembly.
Ok
Very good info

If i get another sensor with the valve stem, and programing needed?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
338 Posts

I agree.
Most tire shops have the repair kit. Comes with sealing gaskets and a new outer nut.
Although sometimes when you try to remove the outer nut the stem breaks ( damn road salt )
If that happens then a new tpms sensor is required.
If so, go with snap in rubber tpms sensor.
And NEVER put fancy metal valve caps on. They tend to seize to the stem.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Ok
Very good info

If i get another sensor with the valve stem, and programing needed?
No. The sensors have a very local (to each wheel...) pickup, and are pretty generic at this point. Mount the wheel with new TPMS, and it will be recognized in seconds of driving.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
And NEVER put fancy metal valve caps on. They tend to seize to the stem.
I'm a big fan of metal valve stem caps with the o-ring inside. Adds an extra layer of valve stem leak protection. If corrosion is a concern, a spritz of silicone spray into the cap before installation should help. Mine come off several times a year minimum for seasonal tire pressure checks and adjustment. No issues (so far) with having any seize on the stem threads.

The extra protection concern is from a history of track cars and motorcycles, and probably over-kill for the average grocery-getter duty our Pilot sees.

Reactions: Daltongang
1 - 15 of 15 Posts