Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First post from new account. Had to create a new one since it has been a while.

Anyway, we have a 2012 Honda Pilot with 99,000 on the clock. We have owned it since new. We recently had an issue where we were getting a pretty loud tick from the motor on cold starts. Took it to the dealer and they wanted to adjust the valves, but they tore it down to the cams to take a look. Everything was clean. No issues with the cams, rocker arms, and the valves were adjusted. That was about a month ago.

We’re getting a noise again. Take a listen below. The fan kicks on eventually and drowns our the noise a bit. It sounds more like a clunk but when the engine is colder, it sounds like a tick again. I’ll try and get a better video later. Any thoughts? To me, it doesn’t sound like a timing belt issue but it could be. It sounds like it’s coming a bit deeper in the motor which is pretty concerning. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. Here’s an update. Took it back to the dealership. The tore back in to the top end and checked the cams and readjusted the valves. They could still hear the tapping afterwards. They said that they listened to the bottom end and determined the noise is not coming from main engine components. They also wrote down, “the noise is normal and should not be a cause for concern.” Interesting...

I decided to look into it a little tonight using the ole screwdriver to the ear trick. All is quiet everywhere except directly over the number 1 and 2 cylinders (bank closest to the cabin, furthest to the left if standing at the front of the car). I could clearly hear tapping there (curious how the master mechanic couldn’t hear it). It is tapping about 350-375 times per minute. Apparently all looks well on the topside. Cams, rocker arms, and valves all check out. Kind of at a loss in what to do since they said all is well. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in case anybody is interested. Found the source of my noise. It looks like one of the lobes on my front cam are pitted, and it appears I have a broken loss motion spring too. Not sure if there is a cause and effect there. Getting the cam and spring replaced so hopefully that will fix the motor. Getting the timing belt and all those goodies swapped out too since everything is already taken apart. It’s a nice little bill though. Yikes!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts