Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cat converter Bank1 is bad (245K mileage). Has anyone replaced their cat converter with a non OEM brand?

If so how long ago was it done? Just want to find out how feasible the non-OEM to OEM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So my cat converter Bank1 is bad (245K mileage). Has anyone replaced their cat converter with a non OEM brand?

If so how long ago was it done? Just want to find out how feasible the non-OEM to OEM
I can't speak for others, but I've had a terrible time trying to install aftermarket cats. Hours of pain because of fitment issues. Plus aftermarket cats may look the same in photos, but when you get them, they are smaller in diameter. That's my experience.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
So...

The detection method for a failing/failed converter is based on the readings from the oxy sensors upstream and downstream of the particular cat. If the readings are too close, the cat must be failing/failed. Not saying yours haven't failed, but if you still have old sensors in place it might be worth swapping in a new set. I used to plan on sensor replacement every 50-60k, and could see enough improvement in fuel economy to justify the expense. But that was a single-sensor system; now there are more, so the payback calculation is harder. At your mileage, the cats have long passed there expected useful life anyway. Still, it's a Good Idea to use your handy scan tool to look at all the sensor readings just for grins.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can't speak for others, but I've had a terrible time trying to install aftermarket cats. Hours of pain because of fitment issues. Plus aftermarket cats may look the same in photos, but when you get them, they are smaller in diameter. That's my experience.
Yes, but man... those eye watering costs for a genuine OEM will make me try to jam, hammer, curse the aftermarket one in every time.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes, but man... those eye watering costs for a genuine OEM will make me try to jam, hammer, curse the aftermarket one in every time.
After 2 attempts with Walker and Bosal, I was begging for OEMs. Seriously. 😓 A gorilla weld at the top of one cat prevented the bolt from being torqued. Then a bracket didn't match up underneath. Another was made improperly and the heat shield could not be bolted on. Seriously, a huge nightmare. 😡

·
Registered
906 Posts
A good independent shop can make the aftermarket cat fit and work fine, if by cutting and welding. As for sensors, if you are only getting a "low efficiency" CEL without drivability issues from a clogged cat, they do make aftermarket "extenders" which move the after cat sensor away from exhaust gas stream, which basically makes it sluggish to react, which is more or less what the PCM expects from a good cat that is storing 02 adequately. Illegal to fool OBD? Absolutely. :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
As has been said, I would make sure that the cat is bad first.

I have put Walker cats on 5 vehicles with no issues but never had the opportunity to put one on a Pilot. Maybe I was just lucky. I have used one on an Accord and a CRV. The cat was still working good when the cars were sold of traded. Probably 90,000 miles on the CRV and it was still going strong.

The OEM is better but I could never bring myself to pay the cost of them.

A local muffler shop (non-chain) might install it for you if you have it new in the box. You just have to find the right shop.

·
Registered
753 Posts
After 2 attempts with Walker and Bosal, I was begging for OEMs. Seriously. 😓 A gorilla weld at the top of one cat prevented the bolt from being torqued. Then a bracket didn't match up underneath. Another was made improperly and the heat shield could not be bolted on. Seriously, a huge nightmare. 😡
I believe it. Had issues with one for a Civic. The cost difference though is shocking. Only one that work well was one I got for my old Integra GS-R. Still miss that car.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I believe it. Had issues with one for a Civic. The cost difference though is shocking. Only one that work well was one I got for my old Integra GS-R. Still miss that car.
After the aftermarket cat experiences, who to say if I even got it mounted to the engine whether or not my exhaust pipe would have even mounted flush with the flange on the cat. It's not worth the risk of an exhaust leak.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long ago you've installed them?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts