Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - So is there any scenario that would make over 5 quarts drain out when parked on level ground? I'm guessing it was just way overfilled? I would appreciate any thoughts.

I put 3.6 quarts back in, per manual. Sitting cold it was at the low mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I recently did my 2015 tranny d&f.
I don't measure what comes out, goes in my oil pain and to the recycle bin. But, I put about 3.5 back in, started it, temp gauge up to 1/3, ran it thru some gears with the brake on.
Checked and it did not register on the dipstick! I almost panicked, put the remainder- so 4 qts in. then it barley hit the low mark after running it some.

Go figure

Reactions: sidefly

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The transmission holds more than the typical drain inside the torque converter.
I suppose if we let it drain long enough more than normal would come out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I did let it drain until it stopped dripping, I wasn't paying attention since I was doing the rear diff at the same time. It was a while... So I did the shift through the gears thing and <CRAP> it wasn't showing on the dipstick. I even waited until the fan ran. So, I added my leftover making it a full 4. Still it was between the marks, so I had a half full old bottle of it and dumped that in to. Now it shows just over the full hole. So much for the manual.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've observed on our 6AT G2 Ridgeline doing a cold drain with the drivers side elevated a little using a floor jack, that it will quickly dump 1 gallon (measured on the drain pan) and then starts a very slow drip. Dripping 5 minutes or 30 minutes makes very little difference. Kinda like the motor oil......quick dump, slow drip.

I've presumed the factory fill was correct so the 1st time I pulled the tranny dipstick (cold, sitting overnight) the fluid level was +/-3/16" above the top mark. Refilling with 1 gallon TF gives me the same result. Checking hot tranny fluid 60-90 after driving around gets interesting......the EGR tube, radiator hoses and back side of the efan get really toasty. Glove/long sleeve helps.:eek: Checking hot right after driving gave a fluid level right at the "T" in HOT. Think I'll stick with checking fluid level on a cold tranny.👌

Cant see the COLD level, buts it's above the top mark.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts