Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you so much for this forum.

My 2012 Pilot tailgate is stuck closed. When I press the button to open (on the tailgate itself or from the drivers side door) I hear the actuator kick in and it moves enough so the the interior light comes and then I am assuming the the friction - of it not opening - causes it to close tight.

Read some threads and opened the little panel on the bottom and moved the little lever to the driver's side. Basically the same thing on doing it manually. It will pop out a bit, light comes on, but that is as far as she will go. Pull in on it manually and it locks and the light goes off.

I applied "some" pressure to push it open from the inside and pull from the outside but it is locked up.......

Hoping I do not have to pull the larger panel off. If so I will look for a thread on how to do that or if someone knows of a good one.

Note: We have had some cold weather and snow here and the alarm would go off randomly (happened 3 times in as many months so we started leaving it in the garage unlocked). After the 1st time, I researched and read it could be because doors and/or the hood may have a sensor not "closed" right and sometimes just opening and closing it with some force might resolve it. It was in the middle of the night and I know I closed the hood and passenger doors a bit rough. Don't remember the tailgate but again I jumped out of bed before my neighbors beat me bloody :) I do though think I opened it after all of that though but wanted to add just in case.......

Appreciate the help.

Rich

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I would try "push harder" before trying to remove that whole inner tailgate panel with the gate closed.

While cold might be a factor in the stuck gate, your symptom of the light working and the latch cycling closed on its own points more to something fallen into and wedged in the latch (hook) recess as probably cause. The gate is opening very slightly until it catches on something there, then recloses after it doesn't move past that small initial open effort. It -may- be possible to use a thin artists/painters spatula (like a long thin flat knife but with rounded end and no sharp edges...) to reach into the latch area from inside, and possibly dislodge something that's keeping the door from opening. Push hard from inside in the bottom center of the door while you operate the latch release. A helper can work that latch through the rear window opening while you push the gate from the inside.

The plastic rear cross floor gate area trim that includes the latch opening is available and relatively inexpensive, if you end up damaging it. Unlikely you'll need it. Depends on what's wedged in there and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try "push harder" before trying to remove that whole inner tailgate panel with the gate closed.

While cold might be a factor in the stuck gate, your symptom of the light working and the latch cycling closed on its own points more to something fallen into and wedged in the latch (hook) recess as probably cause. The gate is opening very slightly until it catches on something there, then recloses after it doesn't move past that small initial open effort. It -may- be possible to use a thin artists/painters spatula (like a long thin flat knife but with rounded end and no sharp edges...) to reach into the latch area from inside, and possibly dislodge something that's keeping the door from opening. Push hard from inside in the bottom center of the door while you operate the latch release. A helper can work that latch through the rear window opening while you push the gate from the inside.

The plastic rear cross floor gate area trim that includes the latch opening is available and relatively inexpensive, if you end up damaging it. Unlikely you'll need it. Depends on what's wedged in there and all.
Thanks Dr Bob!!

Will report back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK!!!! Pulled harder... Opens and closes now. There is a "pop" now when I open it though but other than that works fine.. Did not see anything in there.... Locking mechanism might be like me - getting old and not working as well as I used too.... :)

Will report back if anything changes.

Thanks!!! These forums are great!

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts