Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Filled up washer fluid reservoir on Pilot bought used with 109,000 miles a couple weeks ago.

1. When the bottle is filled, the fluid leaks out until it's down to about halfway. I can reach under and it feels like it's leaking from the bottom where the sensor is.
2. The rear pump is missing but both front and rear spray fluid. It looks like someone put a "T" on the front pump so it also serves the rear. There must have been some creative wiring because the front and rear sprayers still operate independently. I can't see a loose connector anywhere that would have been for the rear pump. Since both washers work fine, it's not a big concern, I don't think

Is there a way to access the sensor through the wheel well without removing the bumper? Maybe it's just the bushing gone bad?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. That is actually a video on stopping a leak where the pump connects, not the sensor on the bottom, but I do believe the bottom sensor can also be replaced just by reaching down there and pulling it out. New sensor and bushing coming today and then I will report back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
on 2012-2015 there is only one pump. it reverses direction based on front or back demand. The leak is most likely coming from the pump itself or the seal (filter). I have had to replace the pumps and the seals on both of my pilots and one of them twice. 2009-2011 there are 2 pumps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
on 2012-2015 there is only one pump. it reverses direction based on front or back demand. The leak is most likely coming from the pump itself or the seal (filter). I have had to replace the pumps and the seals on both of my pilots and one of them twice. 2009-2011 there are 2 pumps.
Thanks very much for the info that there is only one pump on mine. After removing the reservoir, which I was actually able to do from the top by disconnecting the power steering reservoir & taking the bracket off, I discovered the leak was actually from a tiny crack in the reservoir itself, right where the upper bolt is. I cleaned the area, sanded to rough it a little, and applied a generous amount of silicone sealant. Filled up with water to test and no leaks. I would guess that's how it got cracked in the first place. Very easy to strain the tab on the reservoir when removing or reinserting it from the top if one is not careful. One nice thing was with the reservoirs for both the windshield washer fluid and the power steering fluid out of the way, it was nice and open and made it (relatively) easy to replace the serpentine belt at the same time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
this is exactly the thread i needed.
over the summer i noticed that my front passenger-side squirter was not squirting anything, but the drivers side was squirting just about half spray, and the rest was dumping on the ground under the engine. I attribute it to actually letting the squirter hoses run bone dry and i guese one split which also reduced the pressure on the other side. I usually just squeegee my windshield when i fill up every few weeks, and let the honda dealership refill the reservoir when they change my oil (which they didn't do this past april).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts