Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m the org. Owner of a 2012 ex-l awd. I used to get 18-20mpg around town, now I’m at about 15. I have 118K on it, all maintenance done, timing belt, plugs, ect... all changed at 105K. I’m in central Wisconsin, so we have cold weather and winter gas, which gets you worse millage, but it’s never been this bad. Is there anything else I should consider? Would my O2 sensors be starting to go bad, but not to where they throw a code yet? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
844 Posts
How's the air filter? Throttle body cleaned or MAF sensor cleaned? Have you ran a bottle or two of Techron Fuel Cleaner through the system? Start with that, at 118K, you should tackle those things anyways. But winter gas does take a hit on the MPGs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air filter is good, K&N, never had any issues with them, been running them in multiple vehicles for many years. I have run "Sea Foam" thru the tank, but its been 20K since, and I have not done anything with the MAF/Throttle body. I have seen video's on the Throttle body cleaning with Sea Foam. Does that come in an spray version? or how do you recommend cleaning the Throttle body? What do you use for the MAF?
thanks for your input.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My two cents.

Ditch the K&N. If over oiled, the oil particles will gum up the MAF. Go back to a paper filter for best efficiency and clean the MAF with MAF cleaner.

Don't run Sea Foam in the gas, run Techron.

Throttle body cleaning is done with a can of tb cleaner, not Seafoam. SF is a top end engine cleaner introduced through the intake. I don't recommend this on the Pilot.

CRC makes the best tb and MAF cleaners. Just unhook the air intake tube and spray the tb butterfly valve with the cfc tb cleaner. Have someone turn the car to "ON" without starting it and depressing the gas pedal to open/close the butterfly valve, then spray some more tb cleaner with it opening / closing. DO not manually move the butterfly valve as it is electronically controlled. Hook the intake tube back up and start her up. It may stumble, or be hard to start, but it will.

Look on YouTube for DIY videos for both MAF and TB cleaning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have read, only use MAF cleaner on the MAF. It's easy. Unclip a wire, 2 screws and it it's out. Don't finger or touch any of the resistor wires on the inside, just spray liberally with MAF cleaner. Let dry, reinstall. Done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts