Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot EX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I’ve received so much help from the posts I’ve read on here, I thought I’d take a second to post the solution I found for others.

I have a 2012 Pilot EX with power side mirrors that have the painted cap. Honda no longer sells the actuator by itself (the motor that moves the mirror when you press the button). That was all I needed. I hit a post at very low speed and the mirror glass popped off with half of the actuator attached and the other half still attached to the vehicle. The painted cap was undamaged, the mirror glass was even OK. I just needed an actuator. After many hours of searching I found a replacement that allows me to use my same original painted cap and original mirror glass.

If you’ve been through this you can buy OEM Honda for around $350 for the entire assembly unpainted.

Or you could replace it with an aftermarket black mirror and forget about it not being painted, but now you need to replace both to make them match.

I didn’t like either idea. I just wanted it to look and function like it never happened.

I found it for less than 50 bucks and it took 5 minutes to install. TYC 4790131 is for the passenger side power operated (manual folding) with:
NO heat
NO signal light
NO memory setting

See pics below from sellers listing. It comes with a black cover, you can use, OR you can reuse the factory painted cap. Carefully pop the glass off and 1 screw holds the painted cap on. It fits perfectly. It’s plug and play with same connector

The mirror even moves at the same speed during adstment. Couldn’t be happier. First non-Honda parts I’ve used, but I cannot tell a difference.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Great find! Frustrating they discontinued the actuator .

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot EX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was very frustrating and I’m almost embarrassed how many hours I spent cross referencing the part number trying to find either a Honda or Acura part that would fit. No one else (at least no one else that I could find) clarified that this particular mirror comes with a cap and you can:

1) use it as it is (black—but now you pretty much have to replace both mirrors to match),
2) try painting it (no idea if this works, but if it does, it will be shinier than the other one with factory paint)

OR as I did,
3) reuse your factory one.

Just this one poster on eBay clarified it with his pics and that made all the difference.

I have gained so much knowledge about my pilot just reading the posts on here and that’s why I felt obligated to take the time to do my part.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When I decided to update my mirrors with turn signals, I would have loved to get a version that let me reuse my OEM painted mirror caps. But the configuration is just plain different. So I ordered Dupli-Color primer/paint/clearcoat and painted them myself. Came out quite well, and after some road weathering, can't really tell they are not factory originals.
20210621_083235.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts