Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
It would be nice to think it's just having a bad morning, but that is not looking good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree, hopefully it's just the cold! I don't really have any idea how much they are to replace but hope that's not needed.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'd keep it through Christmas, it matches the lights hanging from the mirror!

Maybe it goes away on its own, maybe if you try unplugging everything from it and replugging it in it will work, otherwise you're in for a replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
695 Posts
See my thread about '2013 EX Audio overhaul' in 'Audio and Electronics' section. No, it is not that easy to replace the screen with an aftermarket head unit. you need to take out the glass so you can reach the touchscreen. You can use a shallow head unit such as Alpine ILX-W650 cause there is not that much available space back there. That, however, will make the touch screen a bit hard to reach. I manufactured a new front panel that puts the head unit screen 3 inches closer to the driver. Note that I did not just pop the glass off, but rather cut it along the perimeter.

Now, the problem at hand. Did you try reverse gear? If in reverse, picture remains, then likely display controller is shot. If you get the rear camera view, it means the problem is potentially with the main audio unit. If it is the screen, consider ebay, i.e.:

Top dashboard cover is fairly easy to remove - it is just a few clips, and if you look at the screen directly, these clips all point away from you - so you need to pull the panel directly towards you (Not upward) Might need to wedge something sharp at the back of the panel for leverage. Then, you need to remove two screws, and pull the display module upwards.
Try unplugging/replugging the large connector from display unit first, see if that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the great info @scorrpio ! Yes, it doesn't work in reverse so sounds like the screen is shot.

I'll check out ebay. Not sure the exact model I'll need as there appear to be a few similar ones so I'll investigate. We have a 2012 Pilot Touring AWD. Thank you again!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looks like it got 3 versions, but the model you looking for starts with 39810-SZA. Not sure why -315ZA is so much more expensive, it it claims that A51- variants also fit.
If a unit on ebay looks beat-up/scuffed, remember that you can easily swap in the display part itself into your current housing.

Something like this should work:

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
It does have a Christmas feel to it! By unplugging everything do you simply mean unplugging from the back of the unit? I've never pulled this dashboard apart.

Wondering if I can simply replace with something like this:

Thanks!
Seems like scorpio has got you covered, I haven't torn the dash apart on one of these so good luck!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The display image you show is typically caused by extreme cold weather. If you car wasn't languishing in your heated garage immediately prior to seeing this, it's most likely caused by the cold.

Let the interior warm up some, then restart the car to get the screen and entertainment stack to reboot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@dr bob That seemed to be the problem as it was fine later in the day and no issue since!

Tonight, however we have a new issue. Check emissions + check VSA + VTM-4 all decided to come on at the same time.

thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
@dr bob That seemed to be the problem as it was fine later in the day and no issue since!

Tonight, however we have a new issue. Check emissions + check VSA + VTM-4 all decided to come on at the same time.

thanks!
2014 EX-L w/ NAV here. I've had that screen come up ~half a dozen times in the last 5 years. Generally when it's cold out and a simple turn off, turn back on again will get it back to normal.

As far as all of the warning lights coming up, how old is your battery? If it's on the way out, you can have all sorts of electrical gremlins pop up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@StephenPT I took the car to AdvancedAuto and they checked the battery and said it could have a dead cell but didn't think it needed to be replaced just yet. They scanned the code and it came up with P0303 (misfire in cylinder 3). They reset that code but not the one for the Check VSA but after I stopped for gas, the Check VSA went away as well and didn't come back on yesterday.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
As far as all of the warning lights coming up, how old is your battery? If it's on the way out, you can have all sorts of electrical gremlins pop up.
You beat me to it, I'd be looking at a new battery before anything else.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
@StephenPT I took the car to AdvancedAuto and they checked the battery and said it could have a dead cell but didn't think it needed to be replaced just yet. They scanned the code and it came up with P0303 (misfire in cylinder 3). They reset that code but not the one for the Check VSA but after I stopped for gas, the Check VSA went away as well and didn't come back on yesterday.
If they come back I'd try a new battery first. If it's old enough it's worth doing anyway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was not too thrilled with the idea of playing with various resistors, and here in NJ we get temps from -5 to 105F so I ended up going with the VCM Tuner II. Haven't see the ECO light since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts