Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know if any of the 12vdc outlets in my 2012 are live with the ignition off or is there a way to make one live? is the USB port live all the time?

thank you

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
None are always live. You'd have to MacGyver one to make it always live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was afraid of that. i was hoping... i owned an element for many years and though i never got around to doing it, there was a couple of fuses under the hood that controlled the outlets and could be modified to make them live all the time.

guess not...

many thanks....

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Used to have a live 12v socket on my Blazer, too.

For better or worse, I'd venture the reason none are live now it to prevent a lot of folks from waking up to a dead battery.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
i need to know if any of the 12vdc outlets in my 2012 are live with the ignition off or is there a way to make one live?
What kind of accessories are you trying to power with the ignition off? Some people have experienced no-start situations just from running high powered stereo systems while waiting in the car while the wife shops. The outlets could be made powered without the ignition key but one risks the danger of excessive battery drain resulting in a no-start situation and/or damage to the battery. On my jeep I installed a power distribution relay box with multi-switch pod that can provide reliable 12V power for accessory lights, air pumps, etc. It has an Integrated LVCO (Low-Voltage-Cut-Off) circuit that detects the battery voltage. Doubt if you need such a system but they are available.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
It has an Integrated LVCO (Low-Voltage-Cut-Off) circuit that detects the battery voltage.
Now that's a clever solution. Many a time over the years I wish I'd had that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have an amateur radio license and am thinking about adding a new method of communication to my vehicle. it combines a radio and the internet. the interface is a very low power consuming 5 vdc unit that would actually run off a large capacity phone backup battery, but i wanted to keep the battery plugged in and charging. but i think the battery i have can power it over night and recharge when i'm driving.... or i have several i can just switch out when i need to.

thanks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts