Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i'm already going to be taking this into the dealership. I asked them to look into it when i had the 60k maintenance (including TB & WP) in february, but they didn't take it for a drive. what happens is this:

AFTER the vehicle has been driving for a while (if i drive at highways speeds it occurs sooner), there becomes a noticeable fluttering noise, almost like a bird warbling.

the noise occurs when i get into the 25-30mph range, and gets faster as speed increases. I know it is not related to RPMS because it continues even if i am coasting to a stop in neutral.
I am also noticing decreased gas mileage of 15% or so (even though I drive like a grandma), and the car seems to decelerate a lot quicker when i let off the gas. I checked underneath and i didnt see anything wrapped around down there, however i do notice black seepage on my garage floor near the drivers side wheel. it is a hard substance rather than an oil

i am wondering if any of you guys might be able to give me some insight as to what might be leaking. Back in February when i first noticed it, it took a bit more driving to replicate since it was "winter" in Arizona,, but now that we are well into the 90s, it begins within the first few miles. This leads me to believe that somewhere some sort of axle or wheel lubricant has drained out, and the noise is friction as any remaining lubricant gets thinner from warming up. I am sure honda will give the wheels a spin test first, and hopefully that will allow them pinpoint the source immediately. in the world of spinning metal parts, there is no such thing as good friction.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
That may be the compliance bushings leaking its guts. Pop your head under the car and take a look. I just had mine replaced last week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's at honda now,, i dropped it off yesterday afternoon.
i threw my mountain bike in the back and rode the 9 miles home in 101 degrees.. holy crap that was brutal

if I apply bike hub mechanics to thism bushings are like bearing cups?
I'm just not mechanically familiar with too many of the things down there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
they just called and said the compliance bushings don't seem, broken.. ugh

so i went in to pick it up and had a different mechanic ride with me,, he definitley heard it and thinks its the wheel bearing.
I needed to take it home because i have errands monday, but i will drop it off again after i am done with them.

YouTube

I was planning on driving 400 miles to sandiego next weekend, and definitley want to get this fixed first or else i'm renting a car. (igf i get a prius the gas savings would probably pay for the whole rental)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts