Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this vehicle a couple months ago. I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska and we've had snow for 3 or 4 weeks but got our first big dump last night, 1-2 feet depending on where you are. I got my Blizzak tires put on a couple weeks ago.

I was looking forward to taking the Pilot out today because I wanted to know how it did on the roads with deep snow, you know the kind that grabs you like quicksand and throws you around a little. And it did great! I had a ball driving it all over. I am a very experienced snow driver and I was genuinely impressed at the places I was able to drive today with confidence. I definitely pushed it to the limits of what its ground clearance would handle, plowing through deep mounds, engaging the VTM-4 Lock as I crawled through big piles. It was just so fun to drive!

With proper tires this is an extremely capable snow vehicle and I recommend to anyone wondering.

Registered
I bought this vehicle a couple months ago. I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska and we've had snow for 3 or 4 weeks but got our first big dump last night, 1-2 feet depending on where you are. I got my Blizzak tires put on a couple weeks ago.

I was looking forward to taking the Pilot out today because I wanted to know how it did on the roads with deep snow, you know the kind that grabs you like quicksand and throws you around a little. And it did great! I had a ball driving it all over. I am a very experienced snow driver and I was genuinely impressed at the places I was able to drive today with confidence. I definitely pushed it to the limits of what its ground clearance would handle, plowing through deep mounds, engaging the VTM-4 Lock as I crawled through big piles. It was just so fun to drive!

With proper tires this is an extremely capable snow vehicle and I recommend to anyone wondering.
I'm so jelly. 馃槜
No snow here in Texas or the need for Blizzaks. 馃槕

Reactions: PolarSuns

Registered
As anyone who has rotated tires on a Pilot knows, it is a heavy vehicle based on a truck frame platform.

It is very different from a unibody SUV.

Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
I turn off the traction control in mine & it spins all fours pretty good.

Registered
We have a 2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD. Our home in Tahoe sits about 6500 feet above sea level and gets a good amount of snow in winter. My wife and I are originally from New England, so we were brought up driving in snow. The Pilot does great! Cannot speak to off-road driving as I don't do any, but on neighborhood roads that often do not get plowed for days after an overnight dump of snow - 2 to 3 feet at times, the car will get us up the hills and out of the neighborhood just fine with Continental all weather tires mounted.

Registered
EDIT- Nevermind, I googled it....

I'm dumb, can you give me the short explanation of the difference between the two?
Body on frame construction involves a separate body mounted to a frame structure (that sometimes looks like a wide ladder). The engine , transmission, and suspension components are all attached to the frame; the body is mounted on top. A unibody vehicle has structural portions incorporated into the body itself (think combined body and frame); the engine, transmission, and suspension are mounted to the structural areas of the unibody, potentially including some smaller structural members (cross member, engine cradle) that are also bolted to the unibody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts