Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have spent a lot of time searching for a stereo replacement (after market) for the 2012 Honda Pilot. I have come across some units molded specifically for the 2009-2012 series like this one: Android 6.0 Car GPS Navigation Radio Stereo Wifi For Honda Pilot 2009-2012 | eBay
I have also been searching for a proper stereo double din/single din dash kit, but can only find for the 2011 Honda Pilot, which is stated to not fit on the 2012 Honda Pilot, like this one: Scosche HA1711B Dash Kit Fits select 2009-up Honda Pilot models single-DIN radios at Crutchfield
Has anyone successfully install a stereo upgrade/replacement on their 2012 Honda Pilot?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey everyone. I have spent a lot of time searching for a stereo replacement (after market) for the 2012 Honda Pilot. I have come across some units molded specifically for the 2009-2012 series like this one: Android 6.0 Car GPS Navigation Radio Stereo Wifi For Honda Pilot 2009-2012 | eBay
I have also been searching for a proper stereo double din/single din dash kit, but can only find for the 2011 Honda Pilot, which is stated to not fit on the 2012 Honda Pilot, like this one: Scosche HA1711B Dash Kit Fits select 2009-up Honda Pilot models single-DIN radios at Crutchfield
Has anyone successfully install a stereo upgrade/replacement on their 2012 Honda Pilot?

you can find the same android unit at aliexpress for half the cost

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you have a 2012 LX (no color screen), then yes, one of those Android units ought to work fir you. Any higher trim with climate control, can't really remove the audio unit without losing climate control display. If you look into 'Audio and Electronics' forum there are a few threads about an afrermarket head mounted in place of the top color display - but that is definitely NOT an easy route.

EDIT: on further research, it will not fit (physically) a 2012 LX either , except maybe with some cutting/modding of the trim panel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't know why you would want to do this. That screen is too far away to reach comfortably. And even if you do put a unit there, you are still stuck looking at the factory radio controls below.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My dash mod brings the screen about 3.5 inches in, quite comfy to reach. And yeah, factory audio still there, doesn't bother me. I never touched 90% of those controls even when it was actually used.
Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is a 2013 EX. And this is not a kit, this is custom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a 2012 LX (no color screen), then yes, one of those Android units ought to work fir you. Any higher trim with climate control, can't really remove the audio unit without losing climate control display. If you look into 'Audio and Electronics' forum there are a few threads about an afrermarket head mounted in place of the top color display - but that is definitely NOT an easy route.
Ah, I have an EX-L. I'll take all of that into consideration. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know why you would want to do this. That screen is too far away to reach comfortably. And even if you do put a unit there, you are still stuck looking at the factory radio controls below.
It should be in perfect reaching distance, since it's just replacing the factory unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dash mod brings the screen about 3.5 inches in, quite comfy to reach. And yeah, factory audio still there, doesn't bother me. I never touched 90% of those controls even when it was actually used.
View attachment 144717
That looks nice. I was looking to minimize the need to do a custom job though. I know I probably wouldn't do it myself and I didn't want my auto electronics guy doing too much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It should be in perfect reaching distance, since it's just replacing the factory unit.
The factory unit is not a touchscreen. The screen itself is further away than the radio controls because you don't have to touch it, just look at it. Accordingly, the radio controls are in easy reach and the screen is not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The factory unit is not a touchscreen. The screen itself is further away than the radio controls because you don't have to touch it, just look at it. Accordingly, the radio controls are in easy reach in the screen is not.
I really don't know what you're going on about. I'm well aware that the factory unit is not touch screen. The replacement unit I posted, would be placed in the exact location as the factory unit, in easy reaching distance. I'm not sure where you think the replacement unit will be installed for it to be so much further away for it to be an issue of discussion. Maybe the navigation of the touch screen interface will need getting accustomed to, but that's the most that I can see as some sort of 'inconvenience'. I've seen one photo of someone successfully installing this unit and it looks pretty good.. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I really don't know what you're going on about. I'm well aware that the factory unit is not touch screen. The replacement unit I posted, would be placed in the exact location as the factory unit, in easy reaching distance. I'm not sure where you think the replacement unit will be installed for it to be so much further away for it to be an issue of discussion. Maybe the navigation of the touch screen interface will need getting accustomed to, but that's the most that I can see as some sort of 'inconvenience'. I've seen one photo of someone successfully installing this unit and it looks pretty good.. Thanks anyways.
I have a 15 LX Pilot. With back up camera, and OEM radio/controls, etc.
Could this be installed into an LX and get the upgraded features?

TIA

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just to set things clear, Jicafold argues against my idea to mount the new head unit in place of the display screen. And is absolutely right, cause the factory display is:
1. Behind clear plastic.
2. Out of reach.
Implementing my idea requires extensive modding of the display section of dashboard - which is exactly what I did. I cut away the clear plastic, fabricated a new faceplate, glued in support ribs, and mounted the new head as seen in my post above.

Supreme: since you have a 2012 EX-L, you got climate control info display above your audio controls. This display is integrated into audio unit, and is the main reason why audio upgrade in 2012-15 is such a major pain in the rear. You replace factory audio, you lose the climate control display. Supposedly, maybe, (a very shaky maybe), you might get your climate control readouts on this Android unit via the ODBII connection. However, even if you are willing to lose that display, the trim on that unit is really for the 2009-2011 models. On 2012-15, the sides of the audio unit are more rounded, and that unit will simply not fit physically - just look at the pictures.

Heck, here is another link to that same unit, one actually showing where it can fit and where it will not.

The first picture there, showing 2012 LX dashboard, is a NO. One might be able to make it fit with some cutting... maybe.

The Todd: as I mentioned above, that unit is really for the 2009-2011 models. One could try stuffing it into a 2012 LX, but it would require cutting.
Now, going further, starting with 2013, LX also has climate control system and color screen, so on 2015, you'll have the same issue with that climate control display as 2012 EX+

In fact, you try looking for head units on Crutchfield for a 2015 Pilot, you get:
Products that fit your Pilot
CAR STEREOS
We don't recommend replacing the radio in your vehicle.
If you try looking for audio upgrades for 2016+, it is a lot simpler. There are trim panel kits available, and pretty much any double DIN head will work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is a 2013 EX. And this is not a kit, this is custom.
Did you do this? Or have it done somewhere?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did it all by myself, faceplate and all.
However, if you are not up to this sort of stuff yourself, I am sure a pro car audio shop can fabricate something like that quite easily.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Did it all by myself, faceplate and all.
However, if you are not up to this sort of stuff yourself, I am sure a pro car audio shop can fabricate something like that quite easily.
I'm in awe of your talent and perseverence. I can't imagine an audio shop charging less than a billion dollar$$ to do all that custom work!

While it's not something I'd be willing or want to tackle, I still commend you for the fine job you did. I might make a facia to mount my iPad Mini in front of the existing screen so I'll keep this handy as a reference. You're a good man for sharing!

·
Registered
744 Posts
A couple other similar installs:
The one that served as inspiration for mine, by DMG:
Another one I found on the 'net.

Both cases, idea is the same.
I have to say, I took a harder route there, essentially building the head unit cage from scratch.
Probably way easier would be to get a cage like this:
Also, I strongly recommend getting a used display module to cut into and leave your OEM one intact (what I actually did)
Cut a hole in the clear plastic to accommodate the cage, remove the display electronics from the metal box they are housed in, enlarge the opening a bit, set the cage depth/angle as desired and attach the cage to metal box with rivets. The rear of the metal box also would need to be cut to allow for wiring. Once the cage is mounted in desired position, should be pretty easy to make plastic filler pieces for either side. Or, another option, wrap cage in black matte vinyl to hide bare metal. Might consider applying same vinyl to the remaining clear plastic as well.

With a bit of brainpower, there definitely are ways...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts