Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We need to get our 2011 Pilot Touring windshield replaced.

It has one ding from a rock on the driver side, and a long, jagged crack which developed and grew longer this winter on the passenger side.

Is an OEM windshield necessary/recommended for a 2011, or is aftermarket sufficient for a 2011 since I don’t believe there are really any sensors in it as on newer models. Though they do ask about the rearview mirror when getting quotes.

And is dealership installation recommended, or can you go with Safelite or Gerber Collison and Glass to do the job?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Touring is allegedly supposed to have acoustic glass windshield and side windows. OEM EX-L/Touring windshield is 1.5 times the price of EX. Then aftermarket ones are about half the price of an EX windshield.

As far as aftermarket - there's a huge difference in price and quality. Mine is an EX-L and I've replaced the windshield probably 5 times now. Aftermarket used to be fine but the most recent windshield we installed was the cheapest one I could buy. It's much, much noisier, than what I ever had on this car.

Regarding sensors - there are: ambient lighting/rain sensors in the dash underneath the windshield, and, on EX-L there's a rear-view mirror display (won't be the case for Touring) and auto-dimming sensors. Neither have ever been a problem with any aftermarket windshields for us.
There might also be windshield wiper heating area at the bottom of the windshield on yours (or it could only be true for Canada).

One thing to note: the windshield side trim is very finicky to remove without breaking. Make sure whoever will be installing your windshield knows what they are doing. If they break any of the clips - make them pay for the replacement. Clips are like US$12/each and you need 4 on each side, each side garnish is CAD$50 or so. They clips are glued on to the body with epoxy, and garnishes clip in.
Don't let the sombitches break these and then glue the plastic garnish on to the broken clips to "fix" the problem. That effin trick cost me $200 in parts (8 new clips and 2 new side garnishes) and a lot of elbow grease to address. I was sending the remote rays of explosive diarrhea to the asshole who did this to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't go get them to fix it or even send them the bill anymore as it was done when we lived in a different province in Canada, some 3000km away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts