Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gathering parts to do the Timing Belt and Water Pump change on my wife's 2011 with 187,000 miles (I'm not doing it, having a mechanic do it). TB and WP was done at 124 just before we bought it, but they did not replace the tensioner and it it rattling on cold startup, so I'm getting it all done.

I ordered the Aisin TB/WP kit, new serpentine belt, and spark plugs. I already have some HondaBond and Honda coolant.

What else do I need to get? I believe I need the valve cover gaskets, and I see the cam and crank seals are recommended.

Manifold gasket(s)?
Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat?
Anything else while he's at it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Just confirming that you have ordered an authintic Aisin TKH-002 kit. Looks like this...

Cam and crankshaft seals I'd only buy Genuine Honda
Cam seal 91213-RKG-003 (Qty 2)
Crankshaft seal 91212-5MR-A01
Are you having any oil leaks?
Oil filter housing gasket 15302-RDV-J00
Is the Oil Pump and or Oil Pan leaking? If you decide to drop the oil pan to reseal, you will need exhaust gaskets too.
Exhaust Pipe Gasket 18212-SA7-003 (Qty 2)
Pre Chamber Gasket
18393-SDB-A00
Oil Hole Gasket 15115-P8A-A01
Valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals are a separate project and can be done separately from the timing belt water pump job.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's the kit I ordered. I forgot to say I was planning on having the valve adjustment checked, because I don't know that it has ever been done...so that's why I planned on the valve cover gaskets...

As far as oil leaks, I see some 'moisture' from oil around the oil pan, but I can't tell where it might be coming from- or if it is just spillage from the oil filter when I change the oil being blown around...

·
Registered
766 Posts
The timing belt idler bolt is marked as a one time use bolt. May want to replace it as well.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm gathering parts to do the Timing Belt and Water Pump change on my wife's 2011 with 187,000 miles (I'm not doing it, having a mechanic do it). TB and WP was done at 124 just before we bought it, but they did not replace the tensioner and it it rattling on cold startup, so I'm getting it all done.

I ordered the Aisin TB/WP kit, new serpentine belt, and spark plugs. I already have some HondaBond and Honda coolant.

What else do I need to get? I believe I need the valve cover gaskets, and I see the cam and crank seals are recommended.

Manifold gasket(s)?
Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat?
Anything else while he's at it?

Thanks!
If the cam shaft seals aren't leaking, you may want to just leave them be. The crankshaft seal isn't that hard to get to at any time, so if it isn't leaking, ditto.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Leave crack and camshaft seals alone. I never replaced the bolt on my pulley. They say to replace for engine mounts too, I never did that on 2 cars. It’s a bolt, chances are it’s gonna be fine.

May as well do the thermostat since the coolant will be out. Replace the top and bottom radiator hoses too.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I've reused bolts more than once. But I did recently have to replace a pulley bolt and engine mount bolts that gave me trouble getting out.

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
If you are going to change the cam seals it is easier if you break the cam gear bolts loose before you take the belt off.
Yes, for sure, or you might find yourself trying to improvise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, guys, Thanks.

I'll go ahead and grab that bolt for cheap insurance.
I'll also do t-stat and upper/lower hoses.
I'll forego the seals unless they are leaking.

Do I need the intake manifold gaskets?

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Awesome, guys, Thanks.

I'll go ahead and grab that bolt for cheap insurance.
I'll also do t-stat and upper/lower hoses.
I'll forego the seals unless they are leaking.

Do I need the intake manifold gaskets?
I would if your going to do a valve adjustment. I'd also do valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.
Thermostat and radiator hoses I've never changed unless tap water was ever introduced into the system. I might replace hose clamps if rusted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts