Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 2011 Pilot will just stall at a stop.. whether it’s at a red light, or in park waiting..the battery light and oil light will come on once it’s stalled....I’ve had friends and even the Honda dealer check it and no one can seem to figure it out... seriously frustrated.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
What is the idle speed set at? Is the fuel system clean?

Are you pushing the clutch all the way down when you stop? Oh yea- these ain't manuals- J/K

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 02 cents worth....You may have a tiny bit of debris/dirt on the MAF sensor. My 2011 ran like crap one day, stalled as well. I took the MAF sensor (located between the air filter & throttle body)
Low & behold...a tiny fragment of a leaf had adhered itself to one of the filament wires. I purchased some MAF cleaner and..... Badda Bing! runs like a champ!.
How did it get there?...hmmm SOMEBODY must not have properly tightened things when replacing the air filter.. I wonder who that could be : )

·
Registered
910 Posts
MAF is easy to check. Assume someone has cleaned the throttle body and throttle valve. Anyone looked at EGR valve and the related pipe?

If you nudge the accelerator a bit as you are coming to s stop will it stay running? If yes, has anyone captured basic OBD data in that idle state?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a complete shot in the dark...

Assuming this is happening as soon as you come to a complete stop... the pedal position sensor may not be reporting voltage accurately when your foot leaves the pedal. In essence, the idle air control valve isn't taking over when the throttle closes all the way starving the engine of air. This is very hard to prove via diagnostics as the voltage changes are minute and need to be captured at a super high rate of change.

If this a more generic dies on idle thing, could be the IAC valve itself. You may be able to confirm this with a good cleaning but, if that works, I'd just replace it.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I'm assuming the worst here.
I'd park it until the the timing belt is checked. A stretched belt or a belt that is off time can cause this symptom.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm assuming the worst here.
I'd park it until the the timing belt is checked. A stretched belt or a belt that is off time can cause this symptom.
NG- you know I think you're awesome, but, a timing belt/gear out of time would run like crap, and maybe not at all.

Timing belt maintenance on these engines is paramount though.
Why, oh WHY didn't they make the timing linkage a oil immersed CHIAN! That would last forever usually!!
Idiotic IMHO

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm liking the MAF sensor advice.
And I don't know (or care really), if it's MAF, or MAP LOL

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
NG- you know I think you're awesome, but, a timing belt/gear out of time would run like crap, and maybe not at all.

Timing belt maintenance on these engines is paramount though.
Why, oh WHY didn't they make the timing linkage a oil immersed CHIAN! That would last forever usually!!
Idiotic IMHO
A family member just experienced a stretched belt. One of the symptoms was almost dying. Especially when attempting to accelerate from a stop. The timing belt was in time. If it had not been in time (off a cog or two), I'm sure the vehicle would have died. Caught it just in time. Again as I said, worst case scenario.
To check a timing belt, all you have to do is pull the cover(s).

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts