Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, a bit new to the forum but I’ll get straight to the point…
I’ve got a 2011 Pilot Touring 2wd with about 153,000 miles.
I was driving to work like I normally do, came around a corner getting onto the highway, began accelerating to match traffic speed and I lost power. CEL came on and was flashing. More gas gave no results. Couldn’t get above 3k rpm and the car was stuttering. Had to chug on and get off the highway and to a reasonable place to check it out. Stopped in a parking lot and opened her up. Nothing looked out of the ordinary but the engine was rattling. Took it to a dealer service center and they were no help. Topped it off with a quart of oil and sent her on her way. Also, replaced the maf sensor a while back because it was throwing codes. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,863 Posts
Read the codes or have them read and get back with us with the codes. If you don't have a reader, most auto parts stores do and will read the codes for you.

Also, have you kept up on all of the maintenance, timing belt job at 105K or 7 years, which ever comes first, new plugs, valve adjustment as needed. Transmission service/fluid change when called for etc.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dalton, I’ve got a reader at my makeshift shop. Gotta make the drive back down. I’ll report back tomorrow with my findings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dalton, I flushed all the fluids at 150k, checked the interior for anything major. Took it in for a check up a few days ago for service and “nothing was wrong.” I’ll be checking for codes tomorrow but I’ll definitely take her somewhere else because I highly doubt the service center did anything.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,863 Posts
At 153K you are well overdue for a timing belt/water pump replacement. You are on borrowed time, if the belt goes you are looking at a junkyard used or rebuilt motor in the 4k to 6k range. Plugs are usually changed at 100k, valve lash checked and valves adjusted as needed around 100K as well I believe. Taking a good luck at the plugs would be advisable to see if they are oil fouled. PVC cleaning or replacement would be good. Checking the air intake for cracks, leaks would be advised as well.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't follow the MM. If so you should have had notice of some of these things pop up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dalton, thanks for the info. I'm taking it to a reputable service center tomorrow. I just currently don't have the time to service her on my own. I definitely don't want to run her into the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts